• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pet Food Recall.....

MMC

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Private
They are having a recall on this Pet Food. I don't know if any of our members are using these brands. But if they are.....then they need to check dates on the stuff. I remember when Purina had theirs and how many that affected. I definitely don't like seeing more and more of these recalls over Pet food. I know a couple of Older ladies that lost cats and dogs due to food poisoning.

Here is a question for all who have pets. In a Hypothetical situation wherein one could no longer get pet food. What would you feed your animals within your own home? Btw this recall also includes their treats.

Pet food recall: Sweeping recall affects food for cats, dogs, and ferrets

Natura is recalling all pet food manufactured before last week. The recall includes all Innova, California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Mother Nature, and Karma branded dry pet food and treats.

0618-pet-food-recall_full_380.jpg

Natura is issuing a massive pet food recall after the FDA found salmonella in one of their products. They are recalling pet food from all of their product lines, including food for dogs, cats, and ferrets.

While a single positive test for a contaminant usually leads to a limited recall, just covering a few days' worth of pet food production, Natura has chosen to recall everything produced more than a week ago, when they implemented additional product testing procedures.

The recall includes all Innova, California Natural, EVO, Healthwise, Mother Nature, and Karma branded dry pet food and biscuit treats with expiration dates prior to June 10, 2014. The expiration date appears in different places on the various products. To find out where to look for your pet food's expiration date, see the illustrated guide on the Natura website.

If you own any of the recalled pet food, dispose of it immediately, but not before you clip key information off the bag. To get a full refund, you need to fill out this form and mail it to Natura with the UPC label, expiration date, and product code cut from the pet food bag.

For further information, you can contact the company online or by calling (800) 224-6123.....snip~

Pet food recall: Sweeping recall affects food for cats, dogs, and ferrets - CSMonitor.com

Fortunately, none of the brands they indicate is what my cats eat.

I'm glad they caught the problem, and are doing the recall.

Well, let's define eat it :mrgreen: : Beg for it, wrap themselves around my legs, rush to the dish when I put it down, and snub it.

Fortunately, none of the brands they indicate is what my cats eat.

I'm glad they caught the problem, and are doing the recall.

Well, let's define eat it :mrgreen: : Beg for it, wrap themselves around my legs, rush to the dish when I put it down, and snub it.

Heya GG. :2wave: Yeah we don't get those brands for our pets either. Nor the treats. It's good they caught it Right away. Like the article states they could have just done a limited recall. Instead they recalled All up to that date. I like seeing that. Take no chances for our furry friends. Its great that the company is thinking like that. As these our are family members.

I just hope no one loses a pet over it. ;)

Since both my cats will eat human food, if they eliminate the ready-made pet foods, they would likely get things like cooked chicken (they like drums, lol) and bits of red meet, and a bit of seafood along with scraps of cheese.

Damn, I think they eat better than I do! :lol:

Btw that also includes Treats from Healthwise & Mother Nature Products.....which a lot Vets offices use.

The affected products are sold through veterinary clinics and select pet specialty retailers nationwide and in Canada, Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, and Costa Rica, as well as online

Natura Pet Products is recognized as a trusted name behind natural and holistic pet foods and treats. Founded more than 20 years ago by John and Ann Rademakers and Peter Atkins.....snip~

My cats don't eat those brands, but I appreciate the heads up because my husband does always give our kitties a vet-provided treat after their annual vet visits. He won't be doing that any more, just to be safe.

They are having a recall on this Pet Food. I don't know if any of our members are using these brands. But if they are.....then they need to check dates on the stuff. I remember when Purina had theirs and how many that affected. I definitely don't like seeing more and more of these recalls over Pet food. I know a couple of Older ladies that lost cats and dogs due to food poisoning.

Here is a question for all who have pets. In a Hypothetical situation wherein one could no longer get pet food. What would you feed your animals within your own home? Btw this recall also includes their treats.

Ugh! I hate seeing this over and over again! So many friggin' recalls, and usually dry foods. That stuff is garbage.

Fortunately my kitty doesn't eat any of those.

I actually just switched her to a raw frozen diet after a lot of research, partly because of this kind of stuff, and partly because my elder kitty had some problems attributed to commercial dry and canned pet food (high grain content, mold that's actually common and typical in dry food, and synthetic nutrients that are hard or impossible to digest, especially for an older kitty). She had other stuff going on too, but eating that most of her life was part of the course it took.

I never got a chance to make that right for her, but I'm damn well not going to screw it up twice.

I've just started my spry young moggie cat on Nature's Variety and Primal frozen raw diets. I'm already noticing little things, and it was just 2 days ago. Her poop smells less, and her anal glands (which are unfortunately active due to late neutering) aren't expelling as much. Apparently some cats are stubborn about trying it, but she took to it like a duck to water. The first time I gave it to her, I mixed it with her wet food. She picked out all the raw, and left all the wet.

You can make raw diets yourself, and there are lots of pre-made brands, but I went with these for one big reason.

They (as well as Stella and Chewy's) are treated with high pressure pasteurizing. Kills bacteria, but leaves nutrition and taste intact. Approved for organic foods as well. They started doing this after having their own contamination scares (fortunately they were mostly preventative recalls; no sicknesses reported).

The reality is that no meat I could buy anywhere is the same as a critter she just killed herself. They've all been dead for a while. They've been handled by multiple people. There are contamination concerns that are more significant than they would be if she were killing her own food.

So this seems like the best compromise to me. And it's the same price as feeding all wet canned food, so it's really not all that expensive.

As to what I'd feed her if ALL commercial food went away (including treated raw), I would either feed her a frankprey diet from butcher parts and hope for the best in terms of contamination, or I'd trap critters in the country (city critters are too diseased).

Since both my cats will eat human food, if they eliminate the ready-made pet foods, they would likely get things like cooked chicken (they like drums, lol) and bits of red meet, and a bit of seafood along with scraps of cheese.

Damn, I think they eat better than I do! :lol:

Careful. Cooking gets rid of a lot of nutrients they need (which is totally fine if you just wanna give them something tasty, but not if you want them to live on it). They also need organs and bones; meat alone isn't gonna cut it.

Gross, but... such is sharing ones life with a carnivore.

My cat also eats better than I do. :lol:

Last edited:
Careful. Cooking gets rid of a lot of nutrients they need (which is totally fine if you just wanna give them something tasty, but not if you want them to live on it). They also need organs and bones; meat alone isn't gonna cut it.

Gross, but... such is sharing ones life with a carnivore.

My cat also eats better than I do. :lol:

:lol: They do supply their own also.... to the detriment of the field mouse, mole and vole population. :wink:

Thanks to all our members with Pets and being hip on this. Please pass the word around to others one knows. Keep an eye out for our family members we luv so much.

:lol: They do supply their own also.... to the detriment of the field mouse, mole and vole population. :wink:

He he, true. :D As I mentioned, though, I'd be a bit worried about her eating the city ones. Almost every stray here is diseased. Not a healthy one in the lot. Trying to rescue one usually means euthanizing them when you discover some kind of advanced illness.

Country mice, on the other hand? I'm cool with that.

Last edited:
Thanks to all our members with Pets and being hip on this. Please pass the word around to others one knows. Keep an eye out for our family members we luv so much.

Working on it. My dad has an EXTREMELY picky cat who rejects all dry food and most wet foods. He asked me how mine liked the diet change, and now he might be giving it a shot. All this recall stuff makes him kind of nervous too, especially since she is so incredibly picky and he just gives in to whatever she'll eat.

Easy solution - feed the ferrets to the cats and the cats to the dogs. Save the dogs in case there's a large human food recall. Circle of life. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom