• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Perspectives on abortion

Ursula

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Sorry, this might be rambly. This is a subject I feel very strongly about.

I identify as pro-choice. I believe abortion should be safe and accessible to any woman who needs one up to the point of viability. Past the point of viability, abortion still needs to be safe and available for those with medical complications.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of abortion. I wish no woman ever had to make that choice, and I can understand where most pro-life people are coming from. I just have a different idea of how abortion should be prevented.

I'm a liberal living in a fairly conservative area. Many of the people I know are pro-life, but some of the things I have seen show up on my facebook feed in response to recent happenings in NY have shocked and horrified me. I can get if you believe life begins at conception and all life is valuable, and that this might be why you oppose elective abortions, even if I personally don't agree, but I have recently learned that many of my pro-life friends are opposed to termination, under any circumstance, even when the life of the mother is in imminent danger. They keep sharing stories of women who had dangerous pregnancy complications or found out they had a terminal illness that couldn't be treated without termination and choose not to terminate. They call it a miracle if the women survive against all odds, and praise them for choosing such a noble death if they don't. They seem all-in on legislation that would make abortion illegal, no matter what, even if the fetus is unlikely to, or definitely won't survive. They even seem opposed to early induced labor if it means a baby might be born prematurely, because of the health risks associated with being born early.

I just don't understand how you can can say all life is equally important, but then support legislation that would put fetal life above the life of the mother. I feel like I'm being told that my life is valued by my ability to reproduce successfully, and if I can't do that, then I deserve to die. How many people out there really think this? Is this a thing that's only pervasive in the religious conservative populations in areas like mine, or is this a widespread view?

Sorry, this might be rambly. This is a subject I feel very strongly about.

I identify as pro-choice. I believe abortion should be safe and accessible to any woman who needs one up to the point of viability. Past the point of viability, abortion still needs to be safe and available for those with medical complications.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like the idea of abortion. I wish no woman ever had to make that choice, and I can understand where most pro-life people are coming from. I just have a different idea of how abortion should be prevented.

I'm a liberal living in a fairly conservative area. Many of the people I know are pro-life, but some of the things I have seen show up on my facebook feed in response to recent happenings in NY have shocked and horrified me. I can get if you believe life begins at conception and all life is valuable, and that this might be why you oppose elective abortions, even if I personally don't agree, but I have recently learned that many of my pro-life friends are opposed to termination, under any circumstance, even when the life of the mother is in imminent danger. They keep sharing stories of women who had dangerous pregnancy complications or found out they had a terminal illness that couldn't be treated without termination and choose not to terminate. They call it a miracle if the women survive against all odds, and praise them for choosing such a noble death if they don't. They seem all-in on legislation that would make abortion illegal, no matter what, even if the fetus is unlikely to, or definitely won't survive. They even seem opposed to early induced labor if it means a baby might be born prematurely, because of the health risks associated with being born early.

I just don't understand how you can can say all life is equally important, but then support legislation that would put fetal life above the life of the mother. I feel like I'm being told that my life is valued by my ability to reproduce successfully, and if I can't do that, then I deserve to die. How many people out there really think this? Is this a thing that's only pervasive in the religious conservative populations in areas like mine, or is this a widespread view?

It is too easy to forget the baby in question is human also and has feelings. Perhaps the execution will be quick and painless or perhaps it will not, but I feel sorry for the condemned baby.

How many abortions happen per year? Take that number, and add it, annually, from Roe vs Wade, onto the total population. Then add 1/4 that number again, for the babies those former babies will have had.

Hold that number in your head, and observe our current socio economic situation.

Ruthless arithmatics.

I'm not talking about killing living babies. I don't think anyone wants women to give birth to healthy full term infants or even viable preterm babies and then kill them. I agree THAT is murder (and I'm pretty sure everyone is on the same page about that), but in instances where a mother finds out she has terminal cancer at 15 weeks or something, before the fetus can survive outside the womb, and then the mother is then forced to carry to term, forgoing cancer treatments until she carries to term. By then the cancer may have spread and she dies. Or like my own mother, who had preeclampsia when she was pregnant with me. She was induced early and I was born premature, but obviously, since I'm here typing this, I survived, and because she and her doctors were able to make the decision to end the pregnancy early, my mom is alive too. Also instances where there is a genetic anomaly, or defect of the fetus that is incompatible with life, and the pregnancy, if allowed to continue, will likely put the mother's health at risk. These are the cases I'm talking about. These are the stories I'm seeing shared on facebook, where mothers chose to continue the pregnancy. In some cases, both mother and baby died. In others, they both survived or only one survived. It all depends on circumstance, but it was a risk regardless. Do you really think a woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy even if she knows there is something seriously wrong and she might die or her fetus won't live outside the womb, even if carried to term?

Paragraphs & less dense text would be nice.

Scanning, it seems you are pro-choice. That's good.

Otherwise, tl:dr

It is too easy to forget the baby in question is human also and has feelings. Perhaps the execution will be quick and painless or perhaps it will not, but I feel sorry for the condemned baby.

I am pro choice but individually against abortion.

But when I read posts like this....I just cringe.

Most abortions happen very early in pregnancy.

I am ok with the FETUS being affectionately termed a "baby"....but I am NOT ok with saying the fetus has feelings. Statements like that are intellectually dishonest.

I think for many and possibly most there is some level of common ground that can be agreed upon.

I believemany (perhaps most?) both sides have these things in common

-preference that numbers of abortions should be reduced
- consider prevention of pregnancy is better than abortion
-women that remain pregnant should have access to decent healthcare to assure the health of mother/fetus are not compromised

Such things are common ground that both sides can agree on.

Screw pro-life and pro-choice. How about pro-pragmatism?;)

I would rather forget the fetus in question than the walking breathing mother. I so wish the people who are against abortion would have the same fervor about getting most guns out of society. If I had to guess, we have more shooting deaths each year from living, breathing, walking people than abortions? Where is your concern for those victims? Pro-choice. Justs like owning a gun is pro-choice.

I am pro choice but individually against abortion.

But when I read posts like this....I just cringe.

Most abortions happen very early in pregnancy.

I am ok with the FETUS being affectionately termed a "baby"....but I am NOT ok with saying the fetus has feelings. Statements like that are intellectually dishonest.

I think for many and possibly most there is some level of common ground that can be agreed upon.

I believemany (perhaps most?) both sides have these things in common

-preference that numbers of abortions should be reduced
- consider prevention of pregnancy is better than abortion
-women that remain pregnant should have access to decent healthcare to assure the health of mother/fetus are not compromised

Such things are common ground that both sides can agree on.

Screw pro-life and pro-choice. How about pro-pragmatism?;)

Unborn babies don't have feelings? How do you know that? How can you prove that? Have you ever watched the film, "The Silent Scream?"

I would rather forget the fetus in question than the walking breathing mother. I so wish the people who are against abortion would have the same fervor about getting most guns out of society. If I had to guess, we have more shooting deaths each year from living, breathing, walking people than abortions? Where is your concern for those victims? Pro-choice. Justs like owning a gun is pro-choice.

I suspected as much.

Unborn babies don't have feelings? How do you know that? How can you prove that? Have you ever watched the film, "The Silent Scream?"

They dont. Not until later in gestation, after 20 weeks. Reaction to stimulus is not pain.

Educate yourself from the medical professionals that have been peer-reviewed, not the ones that get paid to bend to your agenda.

Not only that...pain is irrelevant. 97.5% of all abortions take place well before the nervous system is developed enough to feel pain. They consist of the pea-sized or smaller unborn being flushed painlessly and unaware from the womb.

Any later ones receive anesthesia in the injection to stop their hearts. They also feel no pain. However these are the rare late term abortions that are medically necessary anyway...so of course Drs dont cause them any unnecessary pain anymore than they do with other medical procedures :roll:

They lack the brain function necessary to have emptiions.

88 percent (or pick a reliable stat of your choice) are done before the 13 week. Too early for any hint of emotions.

But like I said. if you stopped the intellectual dishonesty, you would find that our common ground could help push towards a reduction of numbers of abortions.

They lack the brain function necessary to have emptiions.

88 percent (or pick a reliable stat of your choice) are done before the 13 week. Too early for any hint of emotions.

But like I said. if you stopped the intellectual dishonesty, you would find that our common ground could help push towards a reduction of numbers of abortions.

Abortionist mercenary: "Don't worry, mother. The baby will not feel a thing."

Oh good gracious.

Get back to me when you understand the neurological capabilities of a fetus

Yes, sorry (not really) to remove one dishonest weapon from your anti-abortion arsenal.

Women however, feel ever disrespectful slight from a society that would demand we remain pregnant against our will...up to and including all the pain and sacrifice...even our lives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, sorry (not really) to remove one dishonest weapon from your anti-abortion arsenal.

Women however, feel ever disrespectful slight from a society that would demand we remain pregnant against our will...up to and including all the pain and sacrifice...even our lives.

Sad, isn't it, that babies sometimes are the unwelcome results of a wild night of abandoned pleasure?

Sad, isn't it, that babies sometimes are the unwelcome results of a wild night of abandoned pleasure?

No babies are the result of anything but a mother and usually father that want them.

The unborn know zero about being sad, welcome, one night stands, or anything else.

So...now you know better.

Then prove me wrong. Your picture has nothing to do with emotions.

Sure it does. It creates a false impression in an attempt to emotionally manipulate others...because he cannot articulate any real facts to dispute you.

I think the man should have the right to insist on an abortion. Both parents should have to agree to keep the kid.

I think the man should have the right to insist on an abortion. Both parents should have to agree to keep the kid.

Fortunately, we have a Constitution that protects women's rights and a society that respects and protects our bodily sovereignty so we wont be journeying back to the Dark Ages as you recommend.

Fortunately, we have a Constitution that protects women's rights and a society that respects and protects our bodily sovereignty so we wont be journeying back to the Dark Ages as you recommend.

I think my proposal is a step into the future. Absolutely progressive in nature. What's not to like about it. REAL equality. Beautiful.

I think my proposal is a step into the future. Absolutely progressive in nature. What's not to like about it. REAL equality. Beautiful.

How is it equality when a man can decide to force a woman to remain pregnant OR strap her down and cut out a fetus?

How is it equality when a man can decide to force a woman to remain pregnant OR strap her down and cut out a fetus?

There should be a choice; if the woman wants to keep the baby but the father does not, absolve him of responsibility. problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom