• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Personality versus policies

pjohns

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I heard it posited yesterday, on Fox News, that if the upcoming presidential election is a made to be about personality, Donald Trump will lose.

But if it is made to be about policies, Donald Trump will win.

I think that pretty well sizes up my own thoughts.

Comments?

I think if it were about either, Trump loses.

If it's about manufactured drama and faux-rage then Trump stands a good chance of winning.

I heard it posited yesterday, on Fox News, that if the upcoming presidential election is a made to be about personality, Donald Trump will lose.

Comments?

The interesting thing about Trump is he's always been a pretty polarizing figure; most people forget about the point he's making because his rhetoric is often bombastic. I think of him as a rude dinner guest who brings a delicious meal. His behavior distracts from the fact he brought something good to eat, so people just remember his behavior versus his contribution. Understanding this, is one of the keys to diplomacy, and Trump's never been a good diplomat; he's just a transactional actor who assumes forcefulness through leverage are the only tools.

Comments?

Policies?

If you mean undermining if not destroying our alliances with Europe, Canada, Australia, and other former allies while cozying up to Putins, Soudis and Turks, then sure.

If you mean policies that add to national debt when economy continued to do well, in order to put most money in Trump's and his donors pockets instead of paying down our debt, then sure.

If you mean policies that undermine our system of government itself and our democracy, then sure.

If you mean the policy of undermining experts to respond to the pandemic effectively and spreading misinformation thus resulting in one of the worst pandemic response on the planet, then sure.

If you mean fake outrage over caravans of rapists and murders from Mexico bringing in coronavirus and thus protecting us with a concrete wall err... a wall... err... a fence... err... fence in few areas that Mexicans will pay for... err... we will pay for, then sure.

If you mean tear-gassing protests in order to post with upside-down bible for a photo-op, then sure.

If you mean Trump attempts to invade other countries that top military officials had to jump into and intervene with and hide his options from him in order to avoid those stupid wars, then sure.

But ...

If you mean policies that put environment and consumers over corporations, then no.

If you mean policies that improve our healthcare system, then no.

If you mean policies that make education better, then no.

Last edited:

Comments?

I think they had it backwards. In the age of cancel culture, people can't feel like they are wearing a white hate unless they have someone they can point to with a black hat on.

Comments?

The implosion of the economy, a failing US Post Office, and 173,000 dead Americans are policy wins?

I'd really hate to see what you consider policy fails.

Comments?

Strange that you like policies that got us to this:

US: 2qtr GDP = -32.9%, unemployment rate = 10.2%, deaths per million to date = 523

When if we had a president who followed the science instead of fighting it we would have looked like this:

Germany: 2qtr GDP = -10.1%, unemployment rate = 4.2%, deaths per million to date = 111

South Korea: 2qtr GDP = -3.3%, unemployment rate = 4.3%, deaths per million = 6

Their daily deaths now are zero or in single digits while ours still remain about 1,000.

Biden predicted the calamity way back in January:

“My policies will always uphold science, not fiction.” At the same time Biden also told us why Trump would fail “Trump’s demonstrated failures of judgment*and his repeated rejection of science*make him the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health challenge.” Truer words were never spoken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom