• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Personal financial incompetence. No wonder people vote democrat.

Rickeroo

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
At my company, paychecks didn't go out today due to a mishap. It looks like a lot of people have their mortgages auto-paid on the 1st, and depend on a "just in time" cash infusion with their paychecks. There was much gnashing of teeth. Median home value in the area is $450,000, median household income is $65,000.

If one is in a position where they don't have $3000 in a savings account, one is in desperate financial straits and in need of financial counseling. This person would be desperately overspent. and barring the inability to work, has a spending problem akin to gambling. There's also a possibility that the person doesn't understand the US monetary system.

At my company, paychecks didn't go out today due to a mishap. It looks like a lot of people have their mortgages auto-paid on the 1st, and depend on a "just in time" cash infusion with their paychecks. There was much gnashing of teeth. Median home value in the area is $450,000, median household income is $65,000.

If one is in a position where they don't have $3000 in a savings account, one is in desperate financial straits and in need of financial counseling. This person would be desperately overspent. and barring the inability to work, has a spending problem akin to gambling. There's also a possibility that the person doesn't understand the US monetary system.

Or the company can pay people when they are supposed to.

Lets deal with the real problem first, shall we?

The median bank account balance is about $5k, so this is not surprising to me at all. If companies are going to pay their employees just enough to get by "in the area" in which they are located, they should at minimum invest in systems so that such "mishaps" don't occur. Sounds like the company is as or more in need of financial counseling than its employees.

The number of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck has been radically increasing ever since the Reagan administration. It's not poor money management, it's trickle-down economics that doesn't trickle down and attacks on Unions that have basically made it impossible to get anything close to a middle-class wage without crushing student loan debt.

When that many people are struggling you don't blame the individuals you blame the system. When your worldview requires the majority of Americans to be either Lazy or Stupid then your worldview is bullshit.

Help me understand what this has to do with your idiotic thread title. Did you take a poll and determine the only people in a pinch vote democrat?

I'm trying to understand how a company just "oops" messes up payroll that bad that NO ONE is paid on time. I've seen where perhaps a new hire was entered into the system incorrectly or OT was mishandled..but an entire company?

Also, I'm trying to understand how a household income of $65K has a $450K house and $3K month mortgage payment...because that's insane also.

Lol, I live in republican dominated Kansas and the same damn thing happens here.

One week of boeing strike and they're all lined up at food banks,

The number of people in this country living paycheck to paycheck has been radically increasing ever since the Reagan administration. It's not poor money management, it's trickle-down economics that doesn't trickle down and attacks on Unions that have basically made it impossible to get anything close to a middle-class wage without crushing student loan debt.

When that many people are struggling you don't blame the individuals you blame the system. When your worldview requires the majority of Americans to be either Lazy or Stupid then your worldview is bullshit.
Quoted for truth.

I'm trying to understand how a company just "oops" messes up payroll that bad that NO ONE is paid on time. I've seen where perhaps a new hire was entered into the system incorrectly or OT was mishandled..but an entire company?
It usually happens when the company simply can't make payroll.
Also, I'm trying to understand how a household income of $65K has a $450K house and $3K month mortgage payment...because that's insane also.
Well, yeah. That would be $36000/year (not including insurance), leaving $29,000 for car note, food, utilities, etc.

Something tells me that Rickeroo is just telling tales.

I know of several people, one personally, where they had to file for bankruptcy all because of horrific money management skills.

This is why people hate politics no matter the subject politics gets put into it.

Stereotyping is the stuff of small minds--------classic Trumper/ present-day "GOP"

“My company screwed up my paycheck so I’m gonna go vote Democrat!”

Not sure I’m following the logic here.

Those are the median stats, though it's unknown what the median mortgage payment is. A lot of people likely bought at $250,000 or lower, depending when they bought. It's true that measured against a $65,000 income, a house even at $190,000 would represent an overspent condition.

A lot of responses are geared towards the company being at fault, as if there's some kind of onus on the worker to spend every cent they earn as soon as they get it. This leads to nothing but misery and stress.

Those are the median stats, though it's unknown what the median mortgage payment is. A lot of people likely bought at $250,000 or lower, depending when they bought. It's true that measured against a $65,000 income, a house even at $190,000 would represent an overspent condition.

A lot of responses are geared towards the company being at fault, as if there's some kind of onus on the worker to spend every cent they earn as soon as they get it. This leads to nothing but misery and stress.
The company is at fault for not issuing payroll in time.

That’s like right at the top of “don’t mess up” responsibilities for running a company.

I’d venture to guess someone would lose a job over it in most places - if not several people/an entire department.

The company is at fault for not issuing payroll in time.

That’s like right at the top of “don’t mess up” responsibilities for running a company.

I’d venture to guess someone would lose a job over it in most places - if not several people/an entire department.

Oh heads are flying and there's discipline to go around.

Back when I was in an area of IT that dealt with payroll, I had to tell Vice Presidents that they were second to that concern when a problem came up. They never held it against me.

Payroll is sacrosanct.

Also I made significantly more than that and my house costs much less than that because I prefer financial security over house bling.

It usually happens when the company simply can't make payroll.

Well, yeah. That would be $36000/year (not including insurance), leaving $29,000 for car note, food, utilities, etc.

Something tells me that Rickeroo is just telling tales.
Second income?

Single folks tend to not buy houses.

As well there should be.

I am disappointed though with the general responses - I think people are locked into a way of thinking whereby employees are helpless and depend on their employer for a regular stream of pay that can't even be one day late.

I regard my responsibility to have a substantial savings as being far greater that my employer's responsibility to pay me on time.

Back when I was in an area of IT that dealt with payroll, I had to tell Vice Presidents that they were second to that concern when a problem came up. They never held it against me.

Payroll is sacrosanct.

Also I made significantly more than that and my house costs much less than that because I prefer financial security over house bling.
Yeah....I've been personally pulled in to help with payroll (I work in HR/Talent predominantly) but payroll is the "sacred" land. No one is more important than getting that payroll out on time...and it is all hands on deck to fix any blips (which is how I've gotten pulled in before)

And yeah...I never want to be house poor. No way, no how.

Back
Top Bottom