• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Personal dash cam self-incrimination

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
What's your feelings on personal dash cams ? Do you use them? Is the risk worth the reward.

I've thought about getting one and I've been debating the pros and cons. The pros; Conclusive evidence if I am in an accident, hit and run, or my vehicle is vandalize. On the other hand, that conclusive evidence can be used against me, even if I just turned over the recording as evidence in a case I'm not involved in. One example I read about, a driver volunteered dash cam footage of an accident that they were not part of. The dash cam held 10+ hours of footage. When the driver came to the station to pick up their dash cam, the officers handed over the dash cam and a stack of 14 tickets. :3oops:

I have the same concerns about auto insurance vehicle tracking programs and OEM vehicle tracking systems (Onstar, SYNC).

As with anything, they need to be used responsibly. I would only use mine to record police interactions and the video would be uploaded real time to a secure location for evidence if necessary.

What's your feelings on personal dash cams ? Do you use them? Is the risk worth the reward.

I've thought about getting one and I've been debating the pros and cons. The pros; Conclusive evidence if I am in an accident, hit and run, or my vehicle is vandalize. On the other hand, that conclusive evidence can be used against me, even if I just turned over the recording as evidence in a case I'm not involved in. One example I read about, a driver volunteered dash cam footage of an accident that they were not part of. The dash cam held 10+ hours of footage. When the driver came to the station to pick up their dash cam, the officers handed over the dash cam and a stack of 14 tickets. :3oops:

I have the same concerns about auto insurance vehicle tracking programs and OEM vehicle tracking systems (Onstar, SYNC).

I run a dash cam in my dump truck, and it is a lifesaver for most truckers.

Every breath you take, every move you make - they are watching you...

I dont believe the ticket story. Sounds like an urban legend. Think about it. How does the dash cam tell anyone who was driving?

Toll boths can be used to collect speeding violations. Operative word being "can be." Id be amazed if any jurisdiction actually did that. Yet. If you have a GPS it tracks everything. When...where...speed, etc.

If you wear tinfoil, I dont think you should use any of these things. Me? They're so convenient, I'm all in.

One example I read about, a driver volunteered dash cam footage of an accident that they were not part of. The dash cam held 10+ hours of footage. When the driver came to the station to pick up their dash cam, the officers handed over the dash cam and a stack of 14 tickets. :3oops:

Sounds made up. Funny, but made up. :)

I don't use a dash cam but I can see the advantages. And yes, if you are breaking the law or committing a bunch of traffic violations it may be in your best interest to not use one.

I dont believe the ticket story. Sounds like an urban legend. Think about it. How does the dash cam tell anyone who was driving?

I believe volunteering to submit the footage would lead to an admission of driving or giving the name of the person who was driving.

It very well may be an urban legend, no proof of any of this was provided. But, the story seems plausible, though 14 tickets does sound like a stretch. I could see this happening in a not-so-extreme scenario where one would contest a traffic ticket. "Yes, Mr. Juggernaut the video clearly shows you did not run the red light. But, it also shows your failure to come to a complete stop at the next intersection. So, here's your new ticket. Have a nice day".

One way to mitigate that risk is to edit the video and only submit the relevant footage. I understand, no one is going full CSI for traffic court and editing will probably be acceptable. But, for more serious situations, it seems one may have entered the murky waters of evidence tampering.

Last edited:
It very well may be an urban legend, no proof of any of this was provided. But, the story seems plausible, though 14 tickets does sound like a stretch. I could see this happening in a not-so-extreme scenario where one would contest a traffic ticket. "Yes, Mr. Juggernaut the video clearly shows you did not run the red light. But, it also shows your failure to come to a complete stop at the next intersection. So, here's your new ticket. Have a nice day".

It's obviously an urban legend, no cop is going to give you a ticket for something they didn't personally see. You have a right to meet with your accuser. Further, since you cannot self-incriminate, this would get thrown out of any court in the land instantly.

Dash cams are cool. They are all the rage with off-road hobbyists. Watching other people's dash cam footage on a certain section of trail can mean the difference between a fun run and rolling your vehicle.

Further, since you cannot self-incriminate, this would get thrown out of any court in the land instantly.

Well, I believe the fifth amendment applies to situations where you would be testifying against yourself. In this case, you wouldn't be self incriminating by testifying. The video evidence that you have in your possession would be incriminating you.

But, it seems other than these rather exceptional scenarios I've brought up. Everyone in this thread has a generally positive opinion of Dash cams, the good outweighs the bad.

Last edited:
Well, I believe the fifth amendment applies to situations where you would be testifying against yourself. In this case, you wouldn't be self incriminating by testifying. The video evidence that you have in your possession would be incriminating you.

But, it seems other than these rather exceptional scenarios I've brought up. Everyone in this thread has a generally positive opinion, the good out weighs the bad, of Dash cams.

It is evidence that you have provided. The police didn't come and confiscate the footage, you voluntarily gave it to them. I have nothing against dash cams, so long as you, being a good citizen and providing evidence to the police, are not shooting yourself in the foot. The courts would never, ever see it that way.

Back
Top Bottom