• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Personal Body Cameras - For Your Own Protection?

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do you foresee a time in the near future where most people will start wearing their own personal body cameras?

When technology allows for a rear facing and front facing camera to record whenever you wish?

Lost of people are now using Go-Pro type cameras when driving and riding motorcycles to record what happens.

When will the average guy/girl decide having that technology on themselves is a necessity for their own safety?

And then the consequences that arise from that are what? Think about the public bathroom situation if people are walking in and out all the time with personal body cameras rolling.

Lots of people in the USofA carry a weapon for their own protection. Gun. Knife. Pepper spray.

When does the personal body camera become the next tool in self-protection?

Do you foresee a time in the near future where most people will start wearing their own personal body cameras?

When technology allows for a rear facing and front facing camera to record whenever you wish?

Lost of people are now using Go-Pro type cameras when driving and riding motorcycles to record what happens.

When will the average guy/girl decide having that technology on themselves is a necessity for their own safety?

And then the consequences that arise from that are what? Think about the public bathroom situation if people are walking in and out all the time with personal body cameras rolling.

Lots of people in the USofA carry a weapon for their own protection. Gun. Knife. Pepper spray.

If it were more comfortable to wear one, I would mine all the times. Alone for the stuff you can hold onto, but lose because the camera is not on. As far as the police are concerned, I really think that the population is probably sort of segregated into those that should rationally wear cams and those that needn't.

I very much doubt most people will. I’m sure some will (maybe some already do) as the technology makes it more accessible but I honestly don’t see the necessity or benefit for the vast majority. For all the self-interested hype and misinformation, daily life isn’t actually any more dangerous for most of us today than it was in the past.

Based on some of the things I’ve seen from domestic CCTV set-ups though, I suspect a lot of people reviewing their daily footage would discover they have 8 hours blurry footage of their own left nostril. :)

I very much doubt most people will. I’m sure some will (maybe some already do) as the technology makes it more accessible but I honestly don’t see the necessity or benefit for the vast majority.

Same could be said for carrying a weapon. Right?

Most will never need it, but when you do...

Same could be said for home security cameras and alarm systems. Most of the time you won't "need" it.

People already sort of do, there' the GoPro and people have cell phones and such. I think that once something like Google Glasses becomes practical and more widely accepted, that it's not much to activate the camera on that thing and just record things as you go about your day.

People already sort of do, there' the GoPro and people have cell phones and such. I think that once something like Google Glasses becomes practical and more widely accepted, that it's not much to activate the camera on that thing and just record things as you go about your day.

Yeah - I was thinking about the google glasses a little.

Again - more so when technology makes having a camera no more intrusive than wearing a shirt with buttons on it, or a jacket with cameras hidden in a few spots to record almost a 360 panorama.

Imagine work environments where there's sexual harassment.
Blind dates.
Just walking through a park, or going to a concert in the city.
Getting pulled over by cops.
Goofy disagreements with neighbors that start to escalate past being goofy.
Any place where a confrontation might happen where there's no witnesses.
He said she said situations.
Did she say "no", or did she invite and instigate the sex after the party was over?

Someday, yes. I actually think in the 100 or more years from now the concept of privacy will no longer be a part of the human consciousness.

Someday, yes. I actually think in the 100 or more years from now the concept of privacy will no longer be a part of the human consciousness.

Is it a lack of privacy, or is it truly a tool for self-protection?

You get accused of a crime. Stealing money from company coffee fund.
How do you prove you didn't do it?

Body camera sure might go a long way. Where were you exactly at the estimated time of the theft?

Who instigated the fight that you were involved in? Who threw first punch?

With my attention span, I'd probably forget to turn it off while using the bathroom, so no thank you.
I like to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. To think that one needs to record everything and everyone is a depressing thought, and I want no part of it.

To think that one needs to record everything and everyone is a depressing thought,

Nobody said that...however there might be times when it's a good thing to have.

A lot of guys who ride motorcycles use them to record their rides. Comes in huge handy when some jack-hole makes illegal turn in front of you and you have to ditch bike. You get hurt, have medical bills, plus the damage to the bike, and the jack-hole drives off. If you have the Go-Pro recording, it's huge in your fight for justice.

Nobody said that...however there might be times when it's a good thing to have.

A lot of guys who ride motorcycles use them to record their rides. Comes in huge handy when some jack-hole makes illegal turn in front of you and you have to ditch bike. You get hurt, have medical bills, plus the damage to the bike, and the jack-hole drives off. If you have the Go-Pro recording, it's huge in your fight for justice.

Yeah, that's true.

Same could be said for carrying a weapon. Right?

Most will never need it, but when you do...

Same could be said for home security cameras and alarm systems. Most of the time you won't "need" it.
Most people don't bother carrying a weapon or having home security systems either. It's a cost (not just money - time, effort, unintended consequences etc.) versus benefit calculation and I still think most people in most circumstances will conclude that a personal body camera isn't worth bothering with. There are certainly times and places where it can be a very useful tool, I just don't see that naturally expanding to common daily use.

Yeah - I was thinking about the google glasses a little.

Again - more so when technology makes having a camera no more intrusive than wearing a shirt with buttons on it, or a jacket with cameras hidden in a few spots to record almost a 360 panorama.

Imagine work environments where there's sexual harassment.
Blind dates.
Just walking through a park, or going to a concert in the city.
Getting pulled over by cops.
Goofy disagreements with neighbors that start to escalate past being goofy.
Any place where a confrontation might happen where there's no witnesses.
He said she said situations.
Did she say "no", or did she invite and instigate the sex after the party was over?

And imagine how all of that and more will end up on the internet.

Yes. But not for your own protection. Rather, it will be used for entertainment and social media purposes.

It's a thought, to be sure.

Those of us who do carry a gun might do well to pack a bodycam also. Built-in impartial observer, if something happens and you have to defend yourself where there are no friendly witnesses... or maybe just hostile ones. Could save your butt from criminal charges and/or lawsuits.

Of course, there are lots of implications and side issues involved, not least of which is privacy of others.

I have a dash cam in my truck,, Tucked up under the rear view mirror, Just because people just seem to be so dishonest about accidents & such, It records at all times when the vehicle is on, and loops continuously.

At work, we use dual dash cams on our ambulances here, covering the front and rear. I wouldn't be opposed to having to wear personal cams in my every day working enviroment if it was ever deemed necessary, but I can't imagine being bothered enough to choose to wear one of my own accord.

Funny story. I usually wear a shirt with a front pocket. I found that my camera on my cell phone records well from there. Experimented on some high and drunk college kids not to long ago. They were making all kinds of racket in a local store and annoying people. I just wanted to see if I could capture faces without effort.

Essentially what you described to me is the cell phone.

Of course I carry a gun for protection of my girlfriend and family, not a cameras.

Btw

Kids were asked to leave by security and did. NBD. Was interesting to see if it worked though in case of a REAL problem.

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Back
Top Bottom