• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Persona 3 and persona 4: anyone played these games

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
if there is one thing i love doing more then talking about politics it is playing video games.

i like playing video games, mostly strategy and first person shooters, but my favorite game is Persona 4, a Japanese rpg where you play a teenager trying to solve a murder mystery in a small rural town. sounds simple? well the funny thing is that this murder mystery involves unusal things such as yellow fog, a mysterious "midnight channal", and evil entity's called shadows, which the main character and his friends have to fight using personas.

for a better understanding of what shadows and persona's are here is a clip from persona 3, a game that uses some of the same themes as persona 4 but with a much more darker atmosphere

(warning these two games are rated M for mature so exercise caution)

anyone else played these games

I got far in Persona 3 (including unlock a number of the relationships) but gave the PSP to my brother when he went abroad for several years. I ended up wiki-ing the rest of the plot (including the expansion's) which killed the incentive to take it up again when the PSP came back into my hands.

That said, it was a fun game with a unique vision. The idea of drawing power from your relationships and emotional attachments from real life in a mystical Jungian world governed by Tarot Cards isn't something you'd see in a AAA title like Final Fantasy. Which goes to show how handhelds have become the main source of innovation in a genre dominated by cliches.

Last edited:
There are several of us into Japanese gaming, and at least one not in this thread so far who has told me he is into Persona 3 I think. Personally I prefer the older JRPGs and keep planning to play some visual novels(someday, when I don't have 30 things going on at once), but have not tried the Persona games or the anime based on them.

There are several of us into Japanese gaming, and at least one not in this thread so far who has told me he is into Persona 3 I think. Personally I prefer the older JRPGs and keep planning to play some visual novels(someday, when I don't have 30 things going on at once), but have not tried the Persona games or the anime based on them.

Its interesting. Persona 3 takes place in a town where people are getting turned into "walking husks" by evil forces that devour their soul. These beings come from a dimension shaped by the collective dreams and will of human beings, thus, they are permutations of Jungian psychology. Only a tiny number of high school aged students can "see" these monsters, so they form an organization to fight them. That is turn-based combat reminiscent of the classic Final Fantasies where your characters use magic and summons to defeat their enemies.

The other aspect of the game are a series of relationships that can be formed around town with different people over the course of the year; each relationship conforms to one of the figures of a Tarot Card deck and endows the Silent Protagonist with bonuses in combat. Essentially dialogue-driven cut scenes.

I love the Persona series, in particular 3 and 4. Easily one of my favorite rpgs of all time. You guys should check out P4 Golden if you haven't already; it's amazing.

Back
Top Bottom