• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

PEROTISTA’S 2020 Monthly SENATE, HOUSE and Presidency FORECAST 1 August 2020

PEROTISTA’S 2020 Monthly SENATE, HOUSE and Presidency FORECAST 1 August 2020

Currently there are 53 Republicans and 47 Democrats in the Current Senate. There are 12 Democratic seats up for re-election vs. 23 for the Republicans.

Safe Democratic seats 11: Delaware, Illinois, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Virginia.

Democratic at-risk seats of switching 1: Alabama

Safe Republican seats 12: Alaska, Arkansas, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia, Wyoming.

The Republicans have 11 at risk seats of switching this election cycle, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia 1, Georgia 2, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Montana, North Carolina, Tennessee.

Arizona McSally R – The Democrat Mark Kelly is a position to sew up this race early. In the last 5 polls taken in July, Kelly averages an 8-point lead over McSally. As of now, I don’t see how McSally can turn things around. Democratic Gain R 52 D 48

Alabama Jones D – Tommy Tuberville won the runoff between him and Jeff Sessions. Tuberville will go on to defeat Doug Jones easily in November. Alabama is the only bright spot for the GOP in this year’s senate races. The one and only. Republican pick up. R 53 D 47

Colorado Gardner R – This has all the indications of a route for Democratic Governor John Hickenlooper. If this race wasn’t a switch from Republican to Democratic, I’d take it off my watch list and place it in the safe Democratic column. Democratic pickup. R 52 D 48

Georgia Perdue R – This race is a pure tossup between Democrat Jon Ossoff and incumbent Perdue. I’m only going with Perdue solely because he’s the incumbent. But keep a close eye on this one. It’s libel to change several times between now and November. Republican hold. R 52 D 48

Georgia Special Open R – Governor Kemp appointed Kelly Loeffler to replace Isakson who left the senate for health reasons. Being this is a special election, there will be no primary for this seat. All 21 declared candidates will be placed on the November ballot. If no candidate receives 50% plus one vote, there will be a runoff between the top two vote getters. We won’t know who wins this seat until after the runoff scheduled for 5 Jan 2021. Loffler and Collins are the top Republicans vying for this seat, Matt Lieberman and Raphael Warnock are the top two Democrats. Collins, Liberman, Loffler and Warnock are the top four in the polls, two of those four will face off in the runoff in January. Which two is anyone guess. It's very possible it could be the two Democrats against each other or the two Republicans. But I foresee Collins the Republican vs. Warnock the Democrat with Collins winning the runoff as more Republicans are apt to go to the polls for the January runoff than Democrats. Republican Hold. R 52 D 48.

Iowa Ernst R – Democrat Theresa Greenfield is giving the incumbent Joni Ernst fits. Trump’s approval rating in Iowa has fallen 6 points in the last two months, Joe Biden has also taken the lead in Iowa. All pointing to a Greenfield win although this will be a very close one. Democratic Gain. R 51 D 49

Kansas Open R – Roberts decided not to run for a fifth term. It will be Republican Kris Kobach vs. Democrat Barbara Bollier. One would think this would be a very easy race for the Republican. It’s not, Bollier leads Kobach in each of the last three polls, abet her lead is one, two and one point. This is Kansas, what the heck is going on? Only because this is Kansas, I’m sticking with the Republican. Republican hold. R 51 D 49

Kentucky McConnell R – What a difference a month makes. Democrat McGrath was within 4 points of old Mitch. This month, McConnell has widened that lead to an average of 12 points. If this holds next month, I’ll move Kentucky off the watch list into the safe republican column. Republican hold R 51 D 49

Maine Collins R – Sara Gideon won the democratic primary for the right to challenge republican Collins in November. Gideon will keep right on winning. Democratic pick up R 50 D 50

Montana Daines R – Although former Democratic Governor Steve Bullock has seen his aggregated lead over Republican incumbent Steve Daines drop from 5 points down to 2 this month. I’m still going with the Democrat. One of the reasons is that Trump has seen a 20-point lead here fall to just 8 points over the last 2 months. in November. Could it be Montana is thinking democrat? Democratic gain R 49 D 51

North Carolina Tillis R – Democrat Cal Cunningham seems to have solidified his leads at around 4 points this month. I’m sticking the Cal. Democratic Gain R 48 D 52.

Tennessee Open R – Alexander is not running for reelection. 15 Republicans are vying for Alexander’s seat along with 5 Democrats. The primaries are now scheduled for 6 August. I’m not about to predict who the nominees will be for November. Who the nominees are doesn’t matter as the Republican will win. Republican hold. R 48 D 52

There have been no changes this month. Although the Democrats solidified their leads in Arizona and Colorado making these two states close to a 95% pickup chance for the democrats. McConnell, Kentucky has moved from a nail biter to a comfortable lead. Both Georgia seats are also nail biters, if Biden were to choose either Atlanta Mayor Bottoms or Stacey Abrams as his VP, these seats would change parties. Time will tell on that. Kansas is so far out from normal or for Kansas being Kansas, I’m left scratching my head there. There’s no doubt in my mind the Democrats will regain control of the senate. The only question left to be answered is will it be by the 52-48 margin or perhaps a very possible 55-45 margin? Also South Carolina and Texas I’m keeping an eye on. They’re not competitive yet, but the possibility exist they could become so.

House of Representatives

Currently the House of Representative consists of 235 Democrats, 199 Republicans, 1 independent. The Republicans need a net gain of 19 seats to win back the house. Accomplishing that would be akin to getting hit by lightning twice and winning the Mega Million Jackpot, all in the same day. In other words, no way. The Democrats have 26 competitive/at risk seats of switching parties, down one from last month. The Republicans have 22, also down one last month. The Democrats will have a net gain of one seat, the same as last month. The New House will have 236 Democrats, 199 Republicans.

Presidency

There were no state changes this month. Now in the real close states, Trump improved in Georgia where he was basically tied with Biden. But He remains tied in Texas. Due to these states voting history, I have kept them in the Trump column. Trump has improved in Ohio where last month he trailed by 4 points, now only by a couple tenths of a single percentage. I left Ohio in Biden’s column to see if this trend continues or abates before swinging Ohio. One other state of noted interest. Would anyone believe Biden trails Trump by only 3 points in Alaska? Just 3 electoral votes there, but perhaps Trump’s very poor showing so far in states like Georgia, Texas and Alaska of all places show how vulnerable he is. On the popular vote side, both candidates dropped a couple of tenths of a point, so no real change in that. This month it’s Biden 49.2%, Trump 40.0%. Of the remaining 10.8%, third party voters make up 5.1% leaving only 5.7% in the undecided column. I thought about breaking down the undecided’s, placing them in either the Trump or Biden column. But decided against it this month. Perhaps next month. Now historical averages show that the undecideds tend to go for the challenger by roughly a 60-40 margin. So you can do the math if you have a mind too. The electoral college tally for this month is Biden 352, Trump 186. Same as last month.

History
December Senate 49 D 51 R, House 231 D, 204 R
Presidency Generic Democrat 50.8% Trump 46,5%, Electoral College Generic Democrat 334 Trump 204

January Senate 49 D, 51 R, House 228 D, 207 R
Presidency Generic Democrat 50.1% Trump 46.1%, Electoral College Generic Democrat 323 Trump 215
February Senate 48 D, 52 R, House 230 D, 205 R
Presidency Generic Democrat 49.5%, Trump 46.4%, Electoral College Generic Democrat 323 Trump 215
March Senate 49 D, 51 R, House 230 D, 205 R
Presidency Generic Democrat 49.7%, Trump 46.3%, Electoral College Generic Democrat 309 Trump 229
April Senate 50 D, 50 R, House 231 D, 204 R
Presidency Biden 49.6%, Trump 45.3%, Electoral College Biden 308 Trump 230
May Senate 50 D, 50 R, House 231 D, 204 R
Presidency Biden 48.3%, Trump 42.4%, Electoral College, Biden 330 Trump 208
June Senate 50 D, 50 R, House 232 D, 203 R
Presidency Biden 48.4%, Trump 42.9%, Electoral College, Biden 319 Trump 219
July Senate 52 D, 48 R, House 236 D, 199 R
Presidency Biden 49.5%, Trump 40.1%, Electoral College, Biden 352, Trump 186
August Senate 52 D, 48R, House 236 D, 199 R
Presidency Biden 49.2%, Trump 40.0%, Third party 5.1%, Electoral college, Biden 352, Trump 186

I think she hurts him. Her anti gun stance, her support for Medicare for all.

I think that this election is different than others...so I think that in a conventional election.. okay. Harris might have been a good pick.. because you send Kamala out to fire up the base.. while Joe speaks to moderates and independents.

But now... its not the typical campaign trail. Its going to be all internet etc. So I don;t think that the in person..gladhanding the base is going to occur

jaeger19;bt5245 said:
I think she hurts him. Her anti gun stance, her support for Medicare for all.

I think that this election is different than others...so I think that in a conventional election.. okay. Harris might have been a good pick.. because you send Kamala out to fire up the base.. while Joe speaks to moderates and independents.

But now... its not the typical campaign trail. Its going to be all internet etc. So I don;t think that the in person..gladhanding the base is going to occur
It's definitely not a conventional election, for sure. Any election with Trump isn't a normal election, 2016 proved that. 2018 was more normal. Now 2018 was a vote by independents for their dislike of Trump, not of approval of congressional democrats. I think the number of independents who really dislike Trump and his unpresidential behavior have put issues and policy on the back burner. At least for now which could change.

I do think it's Trump's very unconventional personality for a sitting president which will be the determining factor. Of course I said this many times to be blown off. Another thing is there isn't any Hillary Clinton around this time to save Trump. Save Trump from himself. These are my opinions.

I think what brought them to the fore was a friend of mine who stated that he could agree with Trump's policies 100%, but still would never vote for him. This guy is a die hard Republican. How many more are out there turned completely off by Trump's distasteful persona? I suppose we'll find out in November.

I was thinking that Kamala was another Hillary. I was looking at some polling numbers.. and like clinton.. she had name recognition.. and more positives than Candidates that were unknown to voters...

But.. she had an almost equal number of people that saw her as unfavorable.

That reminded me of Clinton.. when clinton was polling "better than any republicans in the primary"... which was true... but often when you looked at the poll.. the people she beat... had fewer positives... but a lot more unknown or undecided.

While hillary had more positives than the others.. but also had a lot more unfavorable.

In other words.. it was decided.. either you liked her.. or you didn;t. There wasn;t a lot of room for Hillary to grow.

And I think that might be the case with Kamala.. that there is little for her to grow.. (of course.. I don;t know if thats needed with a vice presidential candidate.. but a lot of unfavorable... might mean that Kamala can turn people off).

jaeger19;bt5247 said:
I was thinking that Kamala was another Hillary. I was looking at some polling numbers.. and like clinton.. she had name recognition.. and more positives than Candidates that were unknown to voters...

But.. she had an almost equal number of people that saw her as unfavorable.

That reminded me of Clinton.. when clinton was polling "better than any republicans in the primary"... which was true... but often when you looked at the poll.. the people she beat... had fewer positives... but a lot more unknown or undecided.

While hillary had more positives than the others.. but also had a lot more unfavorable.

In other words.. it was decided.. either you liked her.. or you didn;t. There wasn;t a lot of room for Hillary to grow.

And I think that might be the case with Kamala.. that there is little for her to grow.. (of course.. I don;t know if thats needed with a vice presidential candidate.. but a lot of unfavorable... might mean that Kamala can turn people off).
Hmm, I looking at one, Harris 37% favorable, 38% unfavorable, 25% undecided, not sure. That's nationally. Among independents, independents only, 27% favorable, 40% unfavorable, 33% undecided, not sure.

This question wasn't asked this week, so those numbers are a week old. Question 71H

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/t0qsgk3wcg/econTabReport.pdf

I see what you mean, especially among independents. Hopefully YouGov and others will be asking this question again next week. That's enough time for Harris's VP selection to settle in.

You can go to 91C to check Pence out, 91A for Trump and 91B for Biden.

Usually the VP pick means little to nothing after a few days after the choice is made. Then again comes to the fore during the VP debate, then drops back to nothing a day or two later. That the historical norm, but because of Biden's age and the fact Harris is now the front runner for the 2024 Democratic Presidential Nomination if Biden wins, more attention very well could be given Harris than normal. We'll see.

Yep.. I think we may have another Clintonesque issue. You either like Harris.. or you don;t. And that unfavorable could be an albatross around Joes neck.
In a "conventional election".. perhaps not. You send Harris out and she glad hands the big donors.. the left and gives them the wink and nod about how joe has to be in the middle to get elected.. but... after the election.

While joe goes out to the midwest and west and tries to woo independents and moderates.

But this election.. like the last one.. is not going to be about policy.. or who has the grand or better vision. Its going to be about .. who pissed you off less. Who do you find most unfavorable.. Trump/pence or Biden/harris.

And having a VP that generates that level of unfavorable.. among the constituents you need to win.. moderates and independents could be a deal breaker.. especially if Trump can portray Harris as the defacto president elect (because of Joes age)

jaeger19;bt5249 said:
Yep.. I think we may have another Clintonesque issue. You either like Harris.. or you don;t. And that unfavorable could be an albatross around Joes neck.
In a "conventional election".. perhaps not. You send Harris out and she glad hands the big donors.. the left and gives them the wink and nod about how joe has to be in the middle to get elected.. but... after the election.

While joe goes out to the midwest and west and tries to woo independents and moderates.

But this election.. like the last one.. is not going to be about policy.. or who has the grand or better vision. Its going to be about .. who pissed you off less. Who do you find most unfavorable.. Trump/pence or Biden/harris.

And having a VP that generates that level of unfavorable.. among the constituents you need to win.. moderates and independents could be a deal breaker.. especially if Trump can portray Harris as the defacto president elect (because of Joes age)
Personally, I think Harris may affect a few votes. But this election is more about Trump. More about Trump than even Biden. Here, you can compare Trump's vs. Biden Favorable/unfavorable.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 Favorability Ratings

Trump's job is to bring Biden's unfavorable's up to his. I doubt if any of the favorable's will improve. Not during a very nasty campaign which as you state will not be about policy, ideas, possible solutions to our problems or visions on where to take America. It will be 100% pure mud slinging with each candidate trying to get the voter to hate the other guy more than they hate you.

I really don't see Harris making much of an impact either positive or negative. At least not yet. Trump has a lot of ground to make up, he trails Biden by almost 8 points nationally.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2020 - General Election: Trump vs. Biden

But more importantly, Trump is behind in Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Arizona along with Texas, North Carolina, Georgia being very tight with Trump leading by a point or two. All these states were won by Trump in 2016.

Attacking Harris for whatever reason isn't about to swing those states back to him. A few of those states I mentioned about isn't even close. Defacto president, sure in the way she will be groomed for 2024 run. Those who use Harris as a reason for not voting for Biden probably weren't going to vote for him to begin with.

Yeah I am not sure. Trump attacks Harris as the "defacto president" because of old joe? and I don't mean for 2024.. I mean that Joe doesn;t actually finish his first term. And then attacks Harris for Medicare for all? Medicare for all is very scary for all those old folks in florida.. that worry what it might do to their medicare.
Here stance on fossil fuels and fracking.. might alienate workers and folks that work in the energy sector.. particularly in states like Pennsylvania, and in the west.
Her anti gun stance could also be a big negative for the west and some of the south.. like pennsylvania.

Thats one of the problems with having a VP with a record and a prior campaign to run against.

jaeger19;bt5251 said:
Yeah I am not sure. Trump attacks Harris as the "defacto president" because of old joe? and I don't mean for 2024.. I mean that Joe doesn;t actually finish his first term. And then attacks Harris for Medicare for all? Medicare for all is very scary for all those old folks in florida.. that worry what it might do to their medicare.
Here stance on fossil fuels and fracking.. might alienate workers and folks that work in the energy sector.. particularly in states like Pennsylvania, and in the west.
Her anti gun stance could also be a big negative for the west and some of the south.. like pennsylvania.

Thats one of the problems with having a VP with a record and a prior campaign to run against.
Harris could be important in that fact or question, who if Biden doesn't finished his term? Do you want Harris as president? It's a tactic full of dangers but with big rewards possible.

Medicare for all does scare a lot of folks. But Trump's stating he'll do away with the payroll tax if reelected also scare a lot of old folks. They can see their medicare and social security payments vanishing. This is a two way street.

Here's something I received from Gallup today, interesting and brings back thoughts of 2016

"25% in U.S. Say Neither Candidate Would Be a Good President"

25% in U.S. Say Neither Candidate Would Be a Good President

Here's the 2016 rendition of that. It's a little different because this one deals with likes and dislikes whereas the new one deals with being a good president or not.

"One in Four Americans Dislike Both Presidential Candidates"

One in Four Americans Dislike Both Presidential Candidates

Let's face it, neither party has done a good job of even nominating a candidate viewed positively or wanted even by half of all Americans.

Well.. I am not sure that its necessarily that neither party has done a good job of nominating a candidate viewed positively.

Because I am not sure that in this political climate.. there really can be someone that is viewed positively. Not when the climate is the other guy is evil. You have democrats crying the republicans are evil.. you had republicans believing that democrats want people to die of corona.. or kill the economy because it makes trump look bad.

I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone in either party or their party.. that the majority of people view positively.

Its just not that climate.

jaeger19;bt5254 said:
Well.. I am not sure that its necessarily that neither party has done a good job of nominating a candidate viewed positively.

Because I am not sure that in this political climate.. there really can be someone that is viewed positively. Not when the climate is the other guy is evil. You have democrats crying the republicans are evil.. you had republicans believing that democrats want people to die of corona.. or kill the economy because it makes trump look bad.

I think you would be hardpressed to find anyone in either party or their party.. that the majority of people view positively.

Its just not that climate.
In 2016 there were three candidates viewed more positive than negative by all Americans prior to them dropping out of the primaries. Kasich, Rubio and Sanders. Would their positive image have lasted during the general election campaign, that is an unanswerable question. I don't think it would have. But those three at the time they dropped out were in the plus category of favorable over unfavorable. Trump was at a minus 24 and Hillary at a minus 20.

We really didn't have the time to get a good reading on the favorable/unfavorable of all the candidates this year. The virus, primaries being canceled and postponed. But none had a higher positive than negative. As of today, Trump is seen 42% favorably, 55% unfavorably, Biden is at 45% favorably, 48% unfavorably. Slight advantage Biden. But the general election campaign hasn't really started and those numbers will change, probably for the worst.

Compare those to 2016, Trump 36% favorable, 60% unfavorable, Clinton 38% favorable, 56% unfavorable.

Back
Top Bottom