• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Perma-ban hearing - discussion

Jerry said:
Re-name this thread "somewhere ells" then.
THIS IS THE PLACE FOR THIS!!!!!
I am advocating for steen's perma-ban. It is wholly appropriate.
Your casual dismissal of these problems will only make them worse.
I can assure you that there is nothing casual about reported posts behind the scenes.

The long and short of it, is that steen has as much right to be here as anyone else - until rules are broken and the level surpassed to warrant suspensions, a mod warrants action for permaban, then a vote for permaban.

Your request has been noted as well as the reported posts - keep them coming. We are community driven and reported posts bring attention to all of us.

If you have an issue with another user and wish to bring it up do so - in the basement forum, reported posts, or a PM to a moderator. This is what simon is requesting.

This thread is about the solution that the mods come up with to deal with dissonance in the forum when it reaches the highest level. Are you saying we should hold public requests before we take permaban action?

Let me start off by saying, mods, all of you. Job well done, I'd pat your back if we could work out the technicalities.

Now:
Kelzie said:
First off, threads created with the intention of civil discourse very rarely end up in the basement.
Why is this? I mean there are so many threads that start out with partisan bashing that it's clear the sole intent was to flame. Nothing productive can come about from such threads at all. Why not move them to the basement? Example:Funding Terror Is Funding Terror? Just look at the poll options they're rediculous.

Kelzie said:
Sometimes bad posts happen to good threads though. If it's just a page or so, the perps just have to be warned, and the thread can presumably continue on its civil way.
Yeah I'm actually quite disappointed about this. Few weeks ago I created a thread trying to find something positive or to be prideful of with regards to the current situations. Name of the thread: "Proud of the US?" Then it was without warning "Off to the basement, go figure".

Since we're in transparency mode here. All users now get "warning's" to which we have assigned warning levels when we get a warning. Several questions arrise.
1) How much warning does each warning constitute?
2) What happens when warning's reach 100%?
3) It would be very nice if we the users can see what warning level we are at.
4) Do warning's ever decrease or stay at a constant level after an issue?

jfuh said:
I mean there are so many threads that start out with partisan bashing that it's clear the sole intent was to flame. Nothing productive can come about from such threads at all. Why not move them to the basement? Example:Funding Terror Is Funding Terror? Just look at the poll options they're rediculous.
Productivity is not the goal - community driven free speech & quality discussion is. It is sad that some folks have rose colored glasses and cannot envision beyond their own partisan bounderies. It happens more often than not (I believe) that an interesting discussion can come from the most grossly over simplfied partisan statements. Yet, It is not uncommon to get a very badly written partisan thread with intention to flame - that is reported - to head to the basement.

Since we're in transparency mode here. All users now get "warning's" to which we have assigned warning levels when we get a warning. Several questions arrise.
1) How much warning does each warning constitute?
2) What happens when warning's reach 100%?
3) It would be very nice if we the users can see what warning level we are at.
4) Do warning's ever decrease or stay at a constant level after an issue?
Today 12:56 AM
Excellent Q's.

1. 10% - Effectively each warning can be given a timeout. After an extended period it is removed. This is up to moderator discression.
2. Currently it is moderator discression - we are reviewing this.
3. We have that ability - just have to switch it on. I am advocating turning this on. We are still discussing this. Each user would only be able to see warnings against them.
4. There is consistancy, but it is up to the moderator reviewing to determine if an action deserves a warning. We try to err on the side of the users and realize that there are very sensative subjects here and sometimes folks just have bad days. A common trend is to public request a tone down in a thread and action if it occurs again. Again, warnings *can* timeout. It depends on the brevity of the issue. If yah get a PM, you most likely have gotten an *offical* warning.

vauge said:
3. We have that ability - just have to switch it on. I am advocating turning this on. We are still discussing this. Each user would only be able to see warnings against them.

Do it do it do it do it.

Billo eats paint chips. Warning level go up.

But he's a snappy dresser. Warning level go down.

Billo shaves his back. Warning level go up.

But he donates the hair to children on kemo for wigs. Warning level go down.

Seems to me that were asking the mods to do a lot of unnecessary work simply because a handful of posters at this site are simply bitter and nasty haters and can't go a post without flaming someone they don't agree with.

Not all the time, but most of the time, by my observations, these arrows seem to come flying in from the right. Why aren't these people capable of civil discourse? Why do these people try to be Ann Coulter all the time?:confused:

A sure sign of a disfunctional upbringing. Their parents should be ashamed.

It's amazing people like this are even allowed to vote thus cancelling the vote of an intelligent person.

Censor YOURSELF! Use some common sense for once!

Simon W. Moon said:
Actually this is not the thread where you can campaign to have some oen removed from the board. If it had been then I would not have asked you two to take your over active feelings for one another somewhere else.

If you wish to start such a campaign, please do so in The Basement.

Moderator's Warning:
The Two of You,

Knock it off. If you guys can't keep your cool by yourselves here in this thread, we'll help you.
I'v got a serious problem with harassment and slander and you call it "over-active feelings"? Lets see you striped of mod privileges and have someone accuse you of all kinds of sh!t everywhere you go, and when you bring it up to a group of mods you get told to leave the thread.

You haven't seen me loose my cool, not in the slightest. It's all I can do to keep from ripping into you right now for dusting off my serious problem like so much dandruff.

Now if you'll excuse me, thanks to you, I need to go brake something.

Jerry said:
I'v got a serious problem with harassment and slander and you call it "over-active feelings"? Lets see you striped of mod privileges and have someone accuse you of all kinds of sh!t everywhere you go, and when you bring it up to a group of mods you get told to leave the thread.

You haven't seen me loose my cool, not in the slightest. It's all I can do to keep from ripping into you right now for dusting off my serious problem like so much dandruff.

Now if you'll excuse me, thanks to you, I need to go brake something.
Jerry, we do not discount that you are very concerned about this issue. Obvisouly if you are concerned, it is a big deal. Please utilize the tools that we give you. And your issue will be dealt with.

The tools are the basement forum (getting it off your chest without concern of mod action - might not work for all), reported posts (be specific), or PM a moderator. Every PM, unless it is personal or requested private is then forwarded to the entire mod team.

Simply put, we cannot and will not utilize the ban system without due cause and supporting evidence.

vauge said:
Jerry, we do not discount that you are very concerned about this issue. Obvisouly if you are concerned, it is a big deal. Please utilize the tools that we give you. And your issue will be dealt with.

The tools are the basement forum (getting it off your chest without concern of mod action - might not work for all), reported posts (be specific), or PM a moderator. Every PM, unless it is personal or requested private is then forwarded to the entire mod team.

Simply put, we cannot and will not utilize the ban system without due cause and supporting evidence.
If we just went by personal feelings toward certain members, I'd be the only one left here...:cool:

Any maybe vauge...

Maybe...;)

vauge said:

Oh I agree.
I just turned in another piece of evidence. Apparently I now have voices in my head :roll:

steen said:
You don't like me much, do you? :(

Now you're pushing it, both of you, and in the "Perma-ban hearing - discussion" of all places!:shock:

Got it Jerry - thanks.

Ignoring is always as option as well.

Keep those reported posts coming.

steen, it took me awhile after you kept calling me a liar over and over and over to understand that you believe and adhear to the breakdown style of debate. Kinda silly, but this actually works for some. Someday, I truely believe this, you will understand that an *opinion* cannot possibly be a lie.

vauge said:
Got it Jerry - thanks.

Ignoring is always as option as well.

Keep those reported posts coming.

steen, it took me awhile after you kept calling me a liar over and over and over to understand that you believe and adhear to the breakdown style of debate. Kinda silly, but this actually works for some. Someday, I truely believe this, you will understand that an *opinion* cannot possibly be a lie.

Well I suppose if you didn't actually believe the opinion, but said you did....don't know why you'd do that though.

vauge said:
steen, it took me awhile after you kept calling me a liar over and over and over to understand that you believe and adhear to the breakdown style of debate.
Not at all. I merely insist that the other side be honest. There can be no meaningful deabte based on falsehoods or distortions.

Kinda silly, but this actually works for some.
:roll:

Someday, I truely believe this, you will understand that an *opinion* cannot possibly be a lie.
I have ALWAYS given people the benefit of the doubt the first time, so don't try that crap on me.

Deegan said:
Now you're pushing it, both of you, and in the "Perma-ban hearing - discussion" of all places!:shock:
I am replying after multiple pushings here.

steen said:
I have ALWAYS given people the benefit of the doubt the first time, so don't try that crap on me.
How about this...

The only truth I know, is my understanding of it. There is no way that I can possibly fathom another persons truth. Therefore, when I am presenting *my* truth, it cannot be a lie. My truth can be discredited, my truth can be educated, but above all my truth cannot be forced or considered anything beyond my truth. My truth and your truth are equal.

vauge said:
How about this...

The only truth I know, is my understanding of it. There is no way that I can possibly fathom another persons truth. Therefore, when I am presenting *my* truth, it cannot be a lie. My truth can be discredited, my truth can be educated, but above all my truth cannot be forced or considered anything beyond my truth. My truth and your truth are equal.
Sounds like the conservative fundies? How about it?

[mod mode]

Okay, enough small talk about steen. This thread is a discussion for the perma-ban.

[/mod mode]

Jerry said:
I'v got a serious problem with harassment and slander and you call it "over-active feelings"?
There are serious ways of broaching and discussing the issue. This thread ain't any any of them.
Jerry said:
... and when you bring it up to a group of mods you get told to leave the thread.
No one told you to leave the thread. I asked the two of you to take your beef somewhere else. And, afaict, each of you can exist independently of the beef you have with each other. The two of you are not only just as hardily welcomed, but just as heartily encouraged to take part in this perma-ban discussion thread as every other member of DP is.

Jerry, please discuss your serious problem further. The way to do so is by way of the The Basement or PM.

vauge said:

Do it do it do it do it do it.

Attachments

• My guys 143.jpg
    My guys 143.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 21
steen said:
Sounds like the conservative fundies? How about it?
Steen, got nothing but love for you dude. But keep a lid on it. I know of your zero tollerance for all whom are mis-informed. But this is not the place to do it nor is Vague being the least bit dishonest. He's only trying to make constructive argument. He is afterall the top honcho of this site and I think you would agree too that he's pretty fair.

jfuh said:
Steen, got nothing but love for you dude. But keep a lid on it. I know of your zero tollerance for all whom are mis-informed. But this is not the place to do it nor is Vague being the least bit dishonest. He's only trying to make constructive argument. He is afterall the top honcho of this site and I think you would agree too that he's pretty fair.

I got to back you up on that one, jfuh...steen save for the people who deserve it, buddy.

teacher said:
Do it do it do it do it do it.
Hahahahaha nice one. Love the warning level.

jfuh said:
Steen, got nothing but love for you dude. But keep a lid on it. I know of your zero tollerance for all whom are mis-informed.
I handle misinformed fine as long as they learn. But this tread has developed into a "lets pick on Steen" tread, so I certainly become testy.

Back
Top Bottom