• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Period Poverty.

soylentgreen

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Agree or disagree.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/period-poverty-everything-you-need-to-know/
"A handful of US states have passed laws mandating schools provide period products to students, deeming them as essential as toilet paper, but more work needs to be done. Federal prisons only made menstrual products free in 2018. Activists recently organized a petition and march to put pressure on the Department of Education to eradicate period poverty in the US. They called on the government to treat period products as health necessities, support policies that protect students who menstruate, and fund period products in school bathrooms.

“Meeting the hygiene needs of all adolescent girls is a fundamental issue of human rights, dignity, and public health,”

Agree or disagree.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/period-poverty-everything-you-need-to-know/
"A handful of US states have passed laws mandating schools provide period products to students, deeming them as essential as toilet paper, but more work needs to be done. Federal prisons only made menstrual products free in 2018. Activists recently organized a petition and march to put pressure on the Department of Education to eradicate period poverty in the US. They called on the government to treat period products as health necessities, support policies that protect students who menstruate, and fund period products in school bathrooms.

“Meeting the hygiene needs of all adolescent girls is a fundamental issue of human rights, dignity, and public health,”

I don't agree that it's a "fundamental issue of human rights" but don't see a problem if state or local entities want to use their tax revenue to provide these products. The sticking point for me would be is this a new fund to be created from reallocating existing monies or would it be a new tax?

Imagine arguing that it's not the government's job to provide toilet paper to kids at school.

I don't agree that it's a "fundamental issue of human rights" but don't see a problem if state or local entities want to use their tax revenue to provide these products. The sticking point for me would be is this a new fund to be created from reallocating existing monies or would it be a new tax?
What's the worst possible thing that could happen by providing tampons in school bathrooms?

What's the worst possible thing that could happen by not providing them?

Should answer the question for most people.

I believe it's a health matter. Who wants to sit in a desk after some female who wasn't wearing the proper sanitary equipment? I know they wipe 'em down between classes but still.

I believe it's a health matter. Who wants to sit in a desk after some female who wasn't wearing the proper sanitary equipment? I know they wipe 'em down between classes but still.

"Some female."

Ugh. So much cringe.

Back
Top Bottom