• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Percentage of people identifying as conservative at record high

RightinNYC

Girthless
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
In 2010, Conservatives Still Outnumber Moderates, Liberals

iglnwvn0jeaslencabs5iq.gif

Big shift among independents:

psoqdieiw0ujtbe5agw84a.gif

Another interesting note is that while only 4 in 10 Democrats identify as liberal, 7 in 10 Republicans identify as conservative. One could see this as the Republican Party as being more consistent and unified, or the Democratic Party as being more flexible and inclusive. Though it would also seem to indicate that Republican are more partisan, Democrats who identify as liberal have been getting increasingly liberal.

NYC, didn't you blast me in another thread a while back for saying that conservativism is on the rise in the U.S.?

Well thanks for posting positive proof.

NYC, didn't you blast me in another thread a while back for saying that conservativism is on the rise in the U.S.?

Well thanks for posting positive proof.

If I remember rightly, that thread was about whether people were objectively more conservative today than they were in the past, which I think is distinct from whether people consider themselves more conservative today than they did in the past.

If I remember rightly, that thread was about whether people were objectively more conservative today than they were in the past, which I think is distinct from whether people consider themselves more conservative today than they did in the past.

If you say so.

I identify myself as a very conservative, meaning I am NOT a old fat back slapping white man named chuck. I am in another word a constitutionalists as probably most are who are reflected in this data posted..

Sigh Not that it really matters. The country is being run by liberals despite the fact their numbers are pitiful.

I still don't buy it - I think a lot of people have more diverse views - financially conservative, socially liberal - but what about war activities and so on?
I think it's becoming harder and harder to lump people into one category or another when it concerns such a wide array of views.

I still don't buy it - I think a lot of people have more diverse views - financially conservative, socially liberal - but what about war activities and so on?
I think it's becoming harder and harder to lump people into one category or another when it concerns such a wide array of views.

I pretty much agree. People might self-identify with one ideology, but to really understand where they are at, you need to look at polling on specific issues and how people feel about general political controversies (abortion, helping the poor, gay marriage, fiscal issues, etc.).

I remember hearing about a good test you could take online that would tell you what you were. I forget what talk show host but he said it was a good one and he found out he was much more liberatarian than he ever thought. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I consider myself a Conservative first, Republican second, but I could be wrong.

I remember hearing about a good test you could take online that would tell you what you were. I forget what talk show host but he said it was a good one and he found out he was much more liberatarian than he ever thought. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I consider myself a Conservative first, Republican second, but I could be wrong.

I think Political Compass is what you're referring to:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/72487-new-political-compass.html

FWIW, the reason it shows people as more libertarian than they ever thought may be because it's created by a Libertarian group.

More than half of self-identified conservatives are fiscal conservatives only, have no affinity whatsoever with social conservatives, and utterly despise being lumped in with the Bible-thumping buzzkills.

The democrats have traipsed right through the middle of this schism and taken control of everything, leaving the "Big Tent" to collapse on top of the bunch of clowns and circus freaks that used to be the Grand Old Party.

I think Political Compass is what you're referring to:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/72487-new-political-compass.html

FWIW, the reason it shows people as more libertarian than they ever thought may be because it's created by a Libertarian group.

I just took this and it put me right in the middle corner of the authoritarian right quadrant (very near the center). I guess that's pretty accurate. I don't suppose anyone could achieve absolute center without being completely nuetral on every issue.

Back
Top Bottom