• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

pepper spray

Medusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
l am planning to get pepper spray to protect myself against stalkers .l have no gun as an anti gun but gun is not the only one way of self defense:mrgreen:
it is both non lethal and practical to throw in an attacker's face when l feel threatened anywhere outside

calling police while he is suffering pain like a lion hunt by crocodile may be ironic but

l would tell them that he was the member of an organized anti government group:mrgreen:

Last edited:
l am planning to get pepper spray to protect myself against stalkers .l have no gun as an anti gun but gun is not the only one way of self defense:mrgreen:
it is both non lethal and practical to throw in an attacker's face when l feel threatened anywhere outside

calling police while he is suffering pain like a lion hunt by crocodile may be ironic but

l would tell them that he was the member of an organized anti government group:mrgreen:

Your probably better off learning self defence, its both practical and fun :mrgreen:

Your probably better off learning self defence, its both practical and fun :mrgreen:

true

but l dont want to hurt his most important part

true

but l dont want to hurt his most important part

If someone is attacking you..his ''important part'' may become really unimportant..

For me that would be my brain, considering my "most important part" doesn't get used outside of bladder functions.

as a young guy whose brain works well you are right!!!

You want the higher concentration of Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) that you can get. Gun stores in Turkey should have it. I think the police use around 15% OC from what I have read.

You can make your own if you so desire from habanera peppers and vinegar and have something practical to atomize it with

How to Make Your Own Pepper Spray | eHow

Remember, chances are good, if you use it you're likely to get a least a little blowback. You may come to regret getting the most powerful concentrations you can find. :mrgreen:

i carry it to protect myself against feral dogs while walking.

i carry it to protect myself against feral dogs while walking.

I carry it because I walk/run at times of day when there aren't many people around (I'm in a rural area in the first place) and I got freaked out by some weird behavior running through the local park a couple times. I also have an alarm "button".

Get the stream, not the fog. You want to get some distance. Test it out briefly, but don't make the mistake of walking through the area where you shot it. I can testify to that mistake.

Carry a gun in case the pepper spray doesn't do the job.

It's better than nothing, but be aware it doesn't always work 100%.

Get a kind that is at least 10% capsicum and has a rating of at least 2 million SHU (Schoville Heat Units). I'd get either the stream or the foam. The stream gives you a little more range at the expense of spread, the foam is better if there is wind, less likely to blowback. Get one with a safety lock that you can work quickly, and I prefer trigger-like units rather than thumb-button units.

Fox and Sabre are good brands.

thank you all for your advices ,of course you are expert at self defense materials like many americans :usflag2::tongue4:

I was going to get a stun gun, so I Youtubed some people being hit with them and I wasn't impressed. They treated them as not much stronger than a carpet zap from static electricity. Maybe enough to deter a tepid stalker but not a determined and demented perv. When I saw the same teenage idiots trying pepper spray, especially the Sabre brand it brought them to their knees. One problem with that stuff is "blowback". Anything that sprays will potentially get onto your person and cause you some discomfort. I've seen plenty of COP's and JAIL episodes to see that they often get some effects from it when they dose a perp.

A knee to the groin and running is usually a more effective option if available.

I carry it because I walk/run at times of day when there aren't many people around (I'm in a rural area in the first place) and I got freaked out by some weird behavior running through the local park a couple times. I also have an alarm "button".

what's an alarm button? like a loud siren?

i also carry a Smith and Wesson fold up knife. got it for about twenty five bucks, and i sharpened it to the point that i can almost shave with it. that's my absolute "i'm not getting in the car" or "mauled to within an inch of my life" last defense.

I was going to get a stun gun, so I Youtubed some people being hit with them and I wasn't impressed. They treated them as not much stronger than a carpet zap from static electricity. Maybe enough to deter a tepid stalker but not a determined and demented perv. When I saw the same teenage idiots trying pepper spray, especially the Sabre brand it brought them to their knees. One problem with that stuff is "blowback". Anything that sprays will potentially get onto your person and cause you some discomfort. I've seen plenty of COP's and JAIL episodes to see that they often get some effects from it when they dose a perp.

A knee to the groin and running is usually a more effective option if available.

I had this runty little Sgt that would spray somebody in a heartbeat. It was annoying as crap, due to blowback and also the lingering effects if he did it indoors, like in the Booking room.... your eyes would sting and water off and on for an hour or more.

The Police Model Air Tasers are pretty powerful tools, but they're a tool for taking someone into CUSTODY... not really for self-defense. Almost all other Tasers range from Meh to Useless Crap Somebody Ought To Be Sued For Selling.

i also carry a Smith and Wesson fold up knife. got it for about twenty five bucks, and i sharpened it to the point that i can almost shave with it. that's my absolute "i'm not getting in the car" or "mauled to within an inch of my life" last defense.

Just like a gun, if you're going to depend on a knife for SD you need training with it. Kali (certain forms particularly like Atienza) and Amock are two that have some use... I trained in a military/Philippino hybrid style.

First rule, of course is simple.... "pointy end goes in the OTHER guy". :mrgreen:

I had this runty little Sgt that would spray somebody in a heartbeat. It was annoying as crap, due to blowback and also the lingering effects if he did it indoors, like in the Booking room.... your eyes would sting and water off and on for an hour or more.

People see TV, movies or hear stories and believe these alternative methods are without consequences. We bought some pepper spray for our business when it first came out and this poor dimwit gal brought it in my area and said is this how it works, trying to press the spray button. Problem was she had the nozzle pointed towards her own face. Turned her whole face red, eyes swollen shut and coughing like a dog. I ran out the back door laughing like hell knowing I would start choking soon, having been exposed to teargas on a school bus.

Taser guns work so well because they penetrate the skin and deliver the charge directly to the nervous system bypassing the skin layer, which acts as an insulator. If you press a stun gun deep into the flesh where the probes can shoot the charge beneath the surface it helps, especially pressing it there for more than 5 seconds. Most people won't hold still for that without jumping. Plus a Taser cost as much as a Glock at $700+ and they don't penetrate heavy clothing like jeans, coats or sweaters. A well placed whack to the shins or kneecap with a metal baton will make you drop and say "wee wee a wee".

Just like a gun, if you're going to depend on a knife for SD you need training with it. Kali (certain forms particularly like Atienza) and Amock are two that have some use... I trained in a military/Philippino hybrid style.

First rule, of course is simple.... "pointy end goes in the OTHER guy". :mrgreen:

a good point, no pun intended. :lol:

Well now, a stun gun zap to the groin is even more effective in that case. :mrgreen:

Yes. It looks like a flat garage door opener, 3 x2. You have to push the "buttons" on the side at the same time to set it off and the center round button turns it off. I clip it to the inside of my shirt, on my left side, so I can reach up and give it "pinch". REALLY loud.

I'm no good with knife, but that sounds like a good idea. I always have my phone with me too.

I keep pepper spray in my purse.

Back
Top Bottom