• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

Lord of Planar

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Just saw a blip on this in the local news. I'm glad she didn't win her lawsuit. Most of occupy Portland was pretty calm. In fact, mayor Sam Adams openly walked among and talked with the protesters in one location. When people violate the free movement of others, I'm OK with pepperspray.

A seven-person jury decided Liz Nichols’ rights were not violated when she was pepper-sprayed in the mouth during an Occupy Portland protest in November 2011.

pepper-spray-girl.jpg

Just saw a blip on this in the local news. I'm glad she didn't win her lawsuit. Most of occupy Portland was pretty calm. In fact, mayor Sam Adams openly walked among and talked with the protesters in one location. When people violate the free movement of others, I'm OK with pepperspray.

]

Maybe if she would have shut her big f**** mouth she wouldn't have got pepper spray in it.

This is pretty disgusting. I once thought we had freedom of speech and the right to protest and assemble. But apparently we dont. I find it hugely hypocritically that we condemn actions like this overseas but when our people do it its "ehh shrug of the sholder". What bull**** what this is.
Arab Spring, American Autumn (I WILL NOT MOVE: A Short Film) - YouTube

This is pretty disgusting. I once thought we had freedom of speech and the right to protest and assemble. But apparently we dont. I find it hugely hypocritically that we condemn actions like this overseas but when our people do it its "ehh shrug of the sholder". What bull**** what this is.
Arab Spring, American Autumn (I WILL NOT MOVE: A Short Film) - YouTube

These protesters were blocking the entrance to a bank, which other free people wanted to enter.

Do protesters rights supersede the rest of the US citizens?

These protesters were blocking the entrance to a bank, which other free people wanted to enter.

Do protesters rights supersede the rest of the US citizens?

Its not about her actions if they were blocking an entrance. Its about was it or was it not excessive force? I fail to see how this was not excessive force.

Its not about her actions if they were blocking an entrance. Its about was it or was it not excessive force? I fail to see how this was not excessive force.
Well, the justice system disagrees with you and agrees with me.

Pepper spray is minimum force. What did you want the cops to do, buy her dinner?

Maybe they want them to use lethal force, so they have more to complain about...

Let them participate in their rights to assemble.
OK, so how do you allow a free path to patrons of a business to traverse, unmolested? Or at least walk to a destination free of fear?

OK, so how do you allow a free path to patrons of a business to traverse, unmolested? Or at least walk to a destination free of fear?

She was on a public space using her rights to voice her opinion in a public space.

She was on a public space using her rights to voice her opinion in a public space.

You didn't answer the question.

How about a different one.

Why does her right to block a path meant for moment, supersede a person's right who wants to use that path to move on?

You didn't answer the question.

How about a different one.

Why does her right to block a path meant for moment, supersede a person who wants to use that path to move on?

So in essence "blocking a path" is when a group of protesters is big? Big enough when they march they are on the street and take up the whole space? So when a group of people all use their rights and combine their force and march on a public space they then become "blocking their path" just because they are a big protest?

So in essence "blocking a path" is when a group of protesters is big? Big enough when they march they are on the street and take up the whole space? So when a group of people all use their rights and combine their force and march on a public space they then become "blocking their path" just because they are a big protest?

This threads about the use of pepper spray.

They were on a public sidewalk, also on the street, and not marching. They were intentionally blocking the access to the bank.

In that case if they are asked to move and they don't then they are violating the rights of others.

Air freshener?
LOL...

I once turned a garden hose on a drunk. He followed my daughter home, and was almost passed out in a lawnchair in my yard. He ended up in the squad car soaking wet.

If a crowd blocks the entrance to a business and the police tell them to move and they don't because their idea of "freedom of speech" is blocking other people from their freedoms, then the police encourage them to move in other ways since asking nicely didn't work. Pepper spray is an excellent way to motivate people to move when they're too stubborn to co-operate and do the right thing on their own.

If they were in China, they'd have been run over by tanks. If they were in the Middle East, they would have been shot. But they're here in the United States and all they got was a dose of the same stuff I like to put on my eggs in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom