• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

People's Convoy fires live rounds at anti-fascists in Oregon

yes, both are crimes, but I am not sure there is even evidence paint balloons were thrown and if so the appropriate measure is calling the police, not shooting a gun. If I see a shoplifter(where I am a supervisor(2nd job)) I don't shoot at them...I call the cops).
Also, it seems these were neighborhood kids, not ANTIFA....they just didn't want them there.

I actually have decided the objects being thrown were paint filled eggs and I agree it was just some wannabe thugs.

That is true, but the appropriate response is to stop the vehicle and call the cops, not to shoot at someone in a random fashion. Once you stop the vehicle the threat has ceased.

And that's what the convoy did. They dead stopped on the highway which could have caused accidents by people coming to an abrupt stop behind them. Funny thing is, there have been three incidents of rear-ending with them that I've seen.

The first was in DC when 3 bobtails rear-ended each other, the second was also in DC when a streamer rear-ended a car in front of him, and the 3rd was just 2-3 days ago when the convoying converted ambulance motorhome rear-ended the tilt trailer being towed in front of her. It's only a matter of time before their illegally blocking traffic causes a serious injury.

One of the knuckle heads was showing off yesterday, standing on top of the firetruck waving a flag and he fell off. Their know it all pretend EMT determined he was just bruised, no big deal. An hour later the guy was in so much pain someone else took him to the ER. Haven't read what was determined, but these people just aren't that bright. Their website actually had yesterday's date as April 31. 🤷‍♂️

If confirmed, I'm betting that there was more than paint balloons being dropped. These communist Antifa groups have a long history of violence.

To be clear, nobody was going to die from a paint-filled balloon. Bullets, however, are deadly.

Strange how the other guy's violence is always the greater problem. You know, I heard somewhere that fascists have also done some violence on this planet, to the tune of millions of men, women and children, slaughtered wholesale. But, of course balloon attacks an a few dumb rednecks is the same thing...sure.

yes, both are crimes, but I am not sure there is even evidence paint balloons were thrown and if so the appropriate measure is calling the police, not shooting a gun. If I see a shoplifter(where I am a supervisor(2nd job)) I don't shoot at them...I call the cops).
Also, it seems these were neighborhood kids, not ANTIFA....they just didn't want them there.

Fair - we are assuming that reports of the paint balloons, like reports of gunfire, are both accurate.

However, I don't think that calling the police is incompatible with shooting a gun, especially if someone is threatening the lives of others. That doesn't make shooting a gun wise or morally right in all scenarios, but, it doesn't make it inherently incorrect.

For example, just as you would not shoot someone for (presumably nonviolent) burglary, if someone was breaking into your house, you would, I think be fully justified in A) calling the cops and then B) shooting the person breaking into your house if you felt endangered.

To be clear, nobody was going to die from a paint-filled balloon. Bullets, however, are deadly.

Why do you think blind people are not allowed to drive?

Do you think it might have something to do with the danger that is created for everyone else when a driver cannot see where they are going?

Dropping paint filled balloons onto vehicles can definitely cause injury and death :(

Strange how the other guy's violence is always the greater problem.

:( that is certainly true. I've noticed that when people are insisting that the other guys' violence is the greater problem, they often denigrate the person receiving their side's violence.

Next time, they should drop bricks off the overpass.

No, Hamish. We've discussed this.

Dropping heavy objects onto dumbasses may feel good and may even contribute to the public good, but people will talk about you. Or at you. They might even get a little excited about it. Energetic, even.

Strange how the other guy's violence is always the greater problem. You know, I heard somewhere that fascists have also done some violence on this planet, to the tune of millions of men, women and children, slaughtered wholesale. But, of course balloon attacks an a few dumb rednecks is the same thing...sure.

A paint filled balloon could certainly cause a death by causing a driver of a moving vehicle to lose control. But you're right that in this case the group that the alleged shots came from had made the choice to stop on the highway which eliminated that risk.

A paint filled balloon could certainly cause a death by causing a driver of a moving vehicle to lose control. But you're right that in this case the group that the alleged shots came from had made the choice to stop on the highway which eliminated that risk.

My point was that there is nothing about paint or balloons that makes them tools of violence, by design. That some fascist sympathizers want to equivocate between guns and balloons is absurd.

Fair - we are assuming that reports of the paint balloons, like reports of gunfire, are both accurate.

However, I don't think that calling the police is incompatible with shooting a gun, especially if someone is threatening the lives of others. That doesn't make shooting a gun wise or morally right in all scenarios, but, it doesn't make it inherently incorrect.

For example, just as you would not shoot someone for (presumably nonviolent) burglary, if someone was breaking into your house, you would, I think be fully justified in A) calling the cops and then B) shooting the person breaking into your house if you felt endangered.

I just went back over the video I posted in post #81. At the 46 second mark you hear the live streamer telling the viewers it's paint filled eggs. At the 54 second mark you hear a voice on the CB saying c'mon Big D. That's the driver of the fire engine. At 2:24 there is a sound that could be a shot fired, and the timing of that compared to the video in post #93 shows one single person standing on the overpass with the "Trump lost" thing hanging on the railing, and he appears to be holding his phone recording the convoy below. So while it's not been verified shots were fired, it's pretty accurate that paint filled eggs (not balloons) were being tossed.

Here's the screen shot at 2:23 before the 2:24 "shot" is heard. Clearly no one was still throwing anything.

wannabe.png

Last edited:
Name two or three things that could be thrown off a bridge that would legally justify a shooting.
Rocks, concrete blocks. These has been more than one motorist killed right here in Albuquerque by objects thrown off bridges. If someone capped one of the throwers, the DA would not want me on his jury!

No, Hamish. We've discussed this.

Dropping heavy objects onto dumbasses may feel good and may even contribute to the public good, but people will talk about you. Or at you. They might even get a little excited about it. Energetic, even.
This is why you don't get invited to parties. You aren't serious about having a good time.

Looks like you read something you didn't understand. My suggestion is to not respond to posts that confuse you, which will help with not looking silly.

They are just troublemakers / domestic terrorists (take your pick) IMO

From the link:

They have been decrying the vaccine and mask mandates for COVID-19 safety, but have been pivoting to other far-right issues as mandates nationally come to an end. As far back as two months ago; it was clear that the convoy was filled to the brim with far-right militants, many of whom openly bragged that they were armed. I’ve independently confirmed convoy participation from Proud Boys, Three Percenters (III%ers), Confederate supporters, KKK-supporters, and Capitol rioters. Three Percenters leader Erik Rohde claims that he has been consulting the convoy since February. One of the pro-KKK convoy paritipcants even met with Republican Senator Ted Cruz.
A bunch of angry old men. Pathetic, and "men" is a stretch

Back
Top Bottom