• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

People that wait 1-2 hours for food

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is something that just baffles me. Why on earth would you wait 1-2 hours in line for say a burger when you can get something very similar nearby without the wait?

I have seen massive lines for Shake Shack, 85°C, Salt & Straw, Howlin' Ray's...

Go to Sonic. They have better milkshakes, or so I've heard.

People do weird drugs, **** animals, whip each other, etc.

If the people waiting in line for a burger aren't making you wait in line for a burger...why should you even care?

we have this place by my hometown where a three or four hour wait is routine. part of the ambiance is waiting in the parking lot, apparently. my wife and i didn't find the wait appealing, so we went somewhere else. i'm not eating dinner at ten thirty PM when i have to get up at six AM. i was like "why don't they just add on if they have this many people who want to eat there?" the other hook is that you eat whatever they are cooking that day and it's expensive. yeah, i think i'll just go get a pizza or something, but thanks.

My mom and dad were like that. They had a favorite restaurant (I admit it was very good), and we'd wait an hour or two on a Saturday night for a table. However for me, I'm not into it. In fact, I try to live my life contrary to the normal ebb & flow of city & suburban life. You will never see me shopping on a Saturday morning, but you may see me on a Tuesday afternoon ...

This is something that just baffles me. Why on earth would you wait 1-2 hours in line for say a burger when you can get something very similar nearby without the wait?

Perhaps you should have asked the folks waiting in those lines.

A good tasty meal at home can take 1-2 hours to prepare. Then you have the clean-up afterwards. Seems waiting on a meal with no subsequent clean-up is a bargain.

we have this place by my hometown where a three or four hour wait is routine. part of the ambiance is waiting in the parking lot, apparently. my wife and i didn't find the wait appealing, so we went somewhere else. i'm not eating dinner at ten thirty PM when i have to get up at six AM. i was like "why don't they just add on if they have this many people who want to eat there?" the other hook is that you eat whatever they are cooking that day and it's expensive. yeah, i think i'll just go get a pizza or something, but thanks.
I've occasionally done places like that as a one-off to try something unique. Even when it's a great experience though, it's rarely appealing enough to do it again. Or at least enough to do it again often or regularly.

I've been waiting for some English baked custard since my grandmother passed away nearly 50 years ago.

A good tasty meal at home can take 1-2 hours to prepare. Then you have the clean-up afterwards. Seems waiting on a meal with no subsequent clean-up is a bargain.
Unless of course there's similar fair available elsewhere, without the wait.

Unless of course there's similar fair available elsewhere, without the wait.

Don't get me wrong...I'll go to the fastest meal in town if the taste and price suit my needs. Just seems weird to comment about others waiting in line for food. Let them. Less in line at the place I choose to go.

I don't partake in the wait.

I eat lunch at 11:30am for most places, and avoid Friday's if practical.
11:00am for really popular lunch spots and/or Friday.
Rarely any wait. This started with when I use to eat at work's cafeteria, if you didn't get there early, you got some of the previous days leftovers.

Dinner same, 5:30pm, or 5:00 for the rare super packed early place.

Same with grocery stores, I go in off hours, never after 4:00pm or weekends if I can help it.
Movies, we go to a movie/grill that seats maybe 100 or less. Reserved seats.

All about convenience without social interaction...good or bad? I don't know, it is what it is.

I worked with a guy that would wait in line for an hour+ for a free hotdog. The guy made great money...I never could figure it out. Part of the fun for some people.
Just like sports and tailgating, I don't understand it, but a *lot* of people love it.

One place I worked at, had a chain restaurant in the building right across from my unrelated job and I would see people lining up for upwards of 1 to 2 hours to get a table and I always sat there in ****ing amazement, with so many other options nearby, it made no sense whatsoever to wait for the most run of the mill, predictable chain restaurant food one could hope to have.

Now if its something special I can totally understand and I realize even if you make a reservation, perhaps you might not get it at that exact time, but I digress, that's just my personal experience, I'm not a patient person if I think I don't need to be, in situations where one has to be patient, I am ****ing Buddha, Zen incarnate, but if there's no reason to be in a line, I won't do it.

I've occasionally done places like that as a one-off to try something unique. Even when it's a great experience though, it's rarely appealing enough to do it again. Or at least enough to do it again often or regularly.

yeah, i can see that. i have been tempted to go back just to see what the fuss is about. next time i would probably go really early, though.

My mom and dad were like that. They had a favorite restaurant (I admit it was very good), and we'd wait an hour or two on a Saturday night for a table. However for me, I'm not into it. In fact, I try to live my life contrary to the normal ebb & flow of city & suburban life. You will never see me shopping on a Saturday morning, but you may see me on a Tuesday afternoon ...

Man, yeah. I'm home on Friday and Saturday nights. I wait til people go back to work and school. That's when I do my errands, shop, and go to lunch. No lines!

One place I worked at, had a chain restaurant in the building right across from my unrelated job and I would see people lining up for upwards of 1 to 2 hours to get a table and I always sat there in ****ing amazement, with so many other options nearby, it made no sense whatsoever to wait for the most run of the mill, predictable chain restaurant food one could hope to have.

Now if its something special I can totally understand and I realize even if you make a reservation, perhaps you might not get it at that exact time, but I digress, that's just my personal experience, I'm not a patient person if I think I don't need to be, in situations where one has to be patient, I am ****ing Buddha, Zen incarnate, but if there's no reason to be in a line, I won't do it.

Same. On the rare occasion I do go out at peak times, if there's a line, I will just go somewhere else.

yeah, i can see that. i have been tempted to go back just to see what the fuss is about. next time i would probably go really early, though.

When I went to New Orleans last year, I wanted to go to Cafe du Monde to get some beignets. I'd never had them from there before and heard they were fabulous. When we got there, there was a line about a half-mile long -- in the rain. No way was I standing in the rain for a piece of fried dough.

I found out later that they are open 24 hours a day, so the next time we go, I'll go in the middle of the night. Although the middle of the night means nothing to people from New Orleans. :lol:

Why wait in line for the 45 second roller coaster ride? Why wait in line for the best black Friday deals? Why wait in line to be in the front row of a Dance Gavin Dance concert?

Because you just love that ****.

I don't do it, but I don't hate on people who do.

IMHO, the only restaurants that are better when they are (too?) busy are the buffet places - the food served sits on the steam tables for a much shorter time.

Why wait in line for the 45 second roller coaster ride? Why wait in line for the best black Friday deals? Why wait in line to be in the front row of a Dance Gavin Dance concert?

Because you just love that ****.

I don't do it, but I don't hate on people who do.

If it were a very good restaurant (that did not take reservations) and it had a very nice bar, I would wait an hour for a table at the bar. No way would I stand in a line for any amount of time for a burger. We have a very good popular bakery here with lines out the door, but they hire enough people to keep it moving, 10 minutes at most to get some great bread. That's my limit for standing in line.

If it were a very good restaurant (that did not take reservations) and it had a very nice bar, I would wait an hour for a table at the bar. No way would I stand in a line for any amount of time for a burger. We have a very good popular bakery here with lines out the door, but they hire enough people to keep it moving, 10 minutes at most to get some great bread. That's my limit for standing in line.

I am not even talking about restaurants. I am talking about Fast food like Shake Shack:

Though Shake Shack has a lot of competition in San Diego, Tunney said that they already have a strong fan-base and even a cult-like following. Before they opened its first San Diego location, Tunney said he met a family who drove up from San Diego to the West Hollywood store that he was previously working at. He also noted that the first guest at the UTC location started waiting in line at 6:30 a.m. for the 11 a.m. opening.

https://sduptownnews.com/scoop-shake-shack/

Red:
I suppose:

• They have nothing better to do for an hour or two?
  • They crave experiences and waiting in line for food, perhaps other things, is apparently one they seek and/or know already that they enjoy?
People are willing to wait in long lines for all sorts of things -- store openings on "Black Friday," the release of a new gizmo, tours of certain venues, and bathroom stalls/urinals -- when they really need not do so. It's to me strange that folks do that, but "sure as God made little green apples," they do. It is a mystery.

Go to Sonic. They have better milkshakes, or so I've heard.

I just saw my first Sonic ever the other day... been hearing about their milk shakes for years here at DP.

Back
Top Bottom