• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

People should not be afraid of their governments. . .

FinnMacCool

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
. .governments should be afraid of their people. This is the tagline for the new film thats coming out Friday, V fod Vendetta.

The story? A fascist regime has taken over England. People have been placed in 'replacement camps', a curfew has been established, and homosexuals, blacks, and radicals have been massacred.

Out of the darkness comes a man with a mask (The mask of Guy Fawkes) who blows up buildings, kills politicians, and seeks revenge on those who harmed him. All in the name of Liberty or, more precisly, anarchy.

Why do I post this here? Because I think that the political relevance of this movie that could be possibly be rendered is something that should be noted. I for one think it would be a very narrow minded interpertation to say that this movie has been released at this time for the purpose of smashing Bush (though I'm sure this is whats on peoples minds).

As it was relevant in 1984, which the graphic novel took inspiration from, this shows what abuse of power can do. Many themes that are explored are those such as Would it be justified to commit terrorism for freedom? And in what ways can a government dehumanize a society, leaving them so used to slavery that they do not realize they themselves are slaves? Things like this are very controversial, especially in this day and age.

There can be no doubting the balls of the Wachowski brothers (yeah the guys who made the Matrix)They actually held on to the script BEFORE the matrix was even made. What's even crazier is that someone actually risked their necks producing it.

It's true that the main character is a freedom fighter but he is also a terrorist. . .and a pyschopath. Though he is a pyschopath only because of the government. The possibilities of controversy that could be explored in this film are endless. I for one, am doubly looking forward to what you may say. Love it or hate it, I think that this movie is going to be a reflection of our times, the same has similar movies in other similarily grim decades will show.

Watch the trailer: http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

Back
Top Bottom