• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

People Don't Really Believe in an Afterlife

liberal1

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
When someone dies, there are great ceremonies to prolong our sadness, our mourning. Yet why? If you are a Christian or Muslim or other person that believes in a heaven and hell, shouldn't your faith stop you from mourning? Shouldn't this gurantee of an afterlife save you from agony, where you have this promise that you'll see them again, forever?

Now there you go, trying to apply common sense and logic to religious belief! If it made any sense all reasonable people would have agreed by now! I've been guilty of this myself! Faith is believing in what has no proof because we need to believe in it! Relying on logic and fact may not provide all our answers in our lifetime. Most can't bear that pyschologically! Ask Captain Ahab! Come on Wizard of Oz, give us a comforting answer. We promise not to look behind the curtain! We really need to believe!!!! :lol:

We mourn because it is a sad thing that we can no longer speak to or hear from that person in this life. However, we do not mourn as those who have no hope. I went to a funeral just a year ago, and we were happy at it in spite of our grief for the loss of that loved individual.

Upstart said:
We mourn because it is a sad thing that we can no longer speak to or hear from that person in this life. However, we do not mourn as those who have no hope. I went to a funeral just a year ago, and we were happy at it in spite of our grief for the loss of that loved individual.

So it's a purely selfish mourning, then? I mean, is it not selfish to desire that a person be still on Earth when they could be enjoying the infinite bliss that is Heaven? If they truly are in a better place, why would you be sad?

Engimo said:
So it's a purely selfish mourning, then? I mean, is it not selfish to desire that a person be still on Earth when they could be enjoying the infinite bliss that is Heaven? If they truly are in a better place, why would you be sad?
Exactly. It is pretty much just selfish. Unless they weren't saved.

liberal1 said:
When someone dies, there are great ceremonies to prolong our sadness, our mourning. Yet why? If you are a Christian or Muslim or other person that believes in a heaven and hell, shouldn't your faith stop you from mourning? Shouldn't this gurantee of an afterlife save you from agony, where you have this promise that you'll see them again, forever?

Have you ever had a loved one die?

When my grandmother died from cancer and my friend committed sucicide, I was grieving the fact that I would never see them again in this lifetime. People mourn because they miss the relative or friend, not because they're afraid for their soul. :roll:

I believe in reincarnation, so the Heaven argument doesn't apply to me.

vergiss said:
Have you ever had a loved one die?

When my grandmother died from cancer and my friend committed sucicide, I was grieving the fact that I would never see them again in this lifetime. People mourn because they miss the relative or friend, not because they're afraid for their soul. :roll:

I believe in reincarnation, so the Heaven argument doesn't apply to me.
Not to slander anyone, but a dog once bit my Mom. We procceeded to take legal action, and the dog's owners told us that they believe the dog is their Grandmother reincarnated.

Back
Top Bottom