• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon unveils plans for moving women into combat roles

DA60

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
' A top U.S. military official declared "the days of Rambo are over" as the Pentagon unveiled its plans on Tuesday for integrating women into combat infantry positions following 12 years of war in which they fought and died in Iraq and Afghanistan while barred from front-line fighting jobs.

The plans, which call for gender-neutral job requirements like scaling walls and lifting 55-pound (25-kg) tank ammunition, will require more years of study, education and training before some services open combat jobs to women.

"I think the key is setting it up for success and making sure that they have time to do it right," said Juliet Beyler, director of Officer and Enlisted Personnel Management at the Pentagon.'

It's about time - though this smells a lot of 'hurry up and wait' to me.

But it's progress.

Noticed you didn't quote this part of your article:

..."The days of Rambo are over," said Major General Bennet Sacolick of the Special Operations Command. "We're looking for smart, qualified operators. There's a new dynamic ... We're looking for young men that can speak and learn a foreign language, understand culture, work with indigenous populations and (have) culturally tuned manners."

"The defining characteristic of our operators are intellect. And when people fail in the special forces qualification course, predominantly they fail because they're not doing their homework," he said.

Fully integrating women poses different challenges to different services. Fewer than 1 percent of Air Force jobs are still off-limits to women, while nearly a third of Marine Corps posts are closed.

U.S. Special Operations Command appeared to have the greatest reservations about how to proceed with opening up.

"We don't deploy in large formations. I mean, we send a 12-man (team) ... into very austere, remote environments by themselves," Sacolick said. "That complicates integration, and that's our concern."

The preparations for integrating women into previously all-male units appeared to have as much to do with acceptance by the men as it did with physical performance by women.

"There is an understanding that ... the studies that they're talking about across all dimensions, not just physical, but exactly the behavioral, the social, the cultural, takes time to do," Beyler said....

Isn't it interesting that the very units who proportionately see the most ground combat seem to also the very ones who think that this has the potential to be an amazingly bad idea?

Isn't it interesting that the very units who proportionately see the most ground combat seem to also the very ones who think that this has the potential to be an amazingly bad idea?

:rolleyes:

What interesting?

I thought posting too much of the article is against the (pathetic) rules.

So, I only posted some.

So special forces are against it?

That's nothing new.

I knew that as soon as I saw the headline.

Sometimes "leaders" in DC make some stupid decisions. This on has to be in the running for worst ever.

They said that about integrating black people too.

To quote an awesome-but-fictional admiral, "they got over it."

.......... "I think the key is setting it up for success and making sure that they have time to do it right," said Juliet Beyler, director of Officer and Enlisted Personnel Management at the Pentagon.'

It's about time - though this smells a lot of 'hurry up and wait' to me.

But it's progress.

"Progress" ? Towards what ? A better military ? Or some hair-brained notion of gender equality ?

The downsides to this will far outweigh any upside. Just more liberal stupidity eroding the country.

Roll out the stupid strawman argument.

As much as I am for equality with genders, I just don't see this as a good idea. I don't think there is enough information on the effects of war on women, how they would handle PTSD from combat, how that would affect child raising in later years in addition to the PTSD some women get just from birth. So many variables.

Keep in mind these are just my opinions, but I just don't think the benefits of allowing women to serve in combat roles outweigh the negatives.

Problem: Racism is cultural, and has to be socially imprinted. It's actually pretty recent, only a century or two old. Sex, however, is deeply biological. In fact, it turns out that the two share almost nothing in common outside of the fact that they stem from variant genotypes.

There is a good reason why everyone who is in a position to know, knows better.

That lame ass argumemt again? Did the PT standards have to be lowered for black men? They dudn't? I rest my case.

Problem: Racism is cultural, and has to be socially imprinted. It's actually pretty recent, only a century or two old. Sex, however, is deeply biological. In fact, it turns out that the two share almost nothing in common outside of the fact that they stem from variant genotypes.

There is a good reason why everyone who is in a position to know, knows better.

That lame ass argumemt again? Did the PT standards have to be lowered for black men? They dudn't? I rest my case.

Agreed. But to further deflate that pathetic liberal argument, I ask if the Zulu Nation, all black, btw, incorporated women into their front line "combat" forces ? Did the American Indian ?

The one thought I have on this is if women are able to work in combat rolls, then they should have to sign up for selective service. I am not for it, I am just going down the path of gender equality.

I for one am 100% against the idea of my daughter or wife being drafted.

Back
Top Bottom