• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon Launches Spy Satellite as Concerns Mount Over Shutdown’s Impact

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.wsj.com/articles/pentag...impact-11547936852?tesla=y&mod=article_inline

With government shutdown dragging on, industry officials fret over delays to commercial and civilian launches

A large U.S. spy satellite was successfully launched into orbit Saturday from central California as concerns mounted that the continued government shutdown threatens to disrupt launch plans for future commercial, civilian and potentially even military payloads.

The Delta IV rocket carrying a classified National Reconnaissance Office satellite blasted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 11:10 a.m. local time, with the 1.6-million-pound rocket’s main engines performing as expected and the upper stage igniting about six minutes...[paywall]
=====================================================
The latest generation of spy satellites are bigger than a school bus & are similar in design to the Hubble Space Telescope. Unlike earlier generation satellites which used cameras & film that was returned to earth in capsules, the current generation employs very sensitive sold-state electro-optics to return images in real time via radio & relay satellites.

Delays in future scheduled space launches from California could negatively impact national security.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/pentag...impact-11547936852?tesla=y&mod=article_inline

With government shutdown dragging on, industry officials fret over delays to commercial and civilian launches

A large U.S. spy satellite was successfully launched into orbit Saturday from central California as concerns mounted that the continued government shutdown threatens to disrupt launch plans for future commercial, civilian and potentially even military payloads.

The Delta IV rocket carrying a classified National Reconnaissance Office satellite blasted off from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 11:10 a.m. local time, with the 1.6-million-pound rocket’s main engines performing as expected and the upper stage igniting about six minutes...[paywall]
The latest generation of spy satellites are bigger than a school bus & are similar in design to the Hubble Space Telescope. Unlike earlier generation satellites which used cameras & film that was returned to earth in capsules, the current generation employs very sensitive sold-state electro-optics to return images in real time via radio & relay satellites.

Delays in future scheduled space launches from California could negatively impact national security.

We were driving down the 101 and saw it... Vandemberg is just a few miles off the highway... was awesome...

Can't read the whole article. Do they say why they think the shutdown could delay future launch plans?

Can't read the whole article. Do they say why they think the shutdown could delay future launch plans?

The contracts are on hold.

Probably because so many different agencies & departments are affected. I can't read the article either.

The Air Force needs the ability to launch these spy satellites on short notice if there are major problems around the world. The airstrike I posted in Somalia was probably based on spy satellite imagery because it was so effective (55 killed). They had to know when these guys would be in one place for meals or prayer.

Probably because so many different agencies & departments are affected. I can't read the article either.

The Air Force needs the ability to launch these spy satellites on short notice if there are major problems around the world. The airstrike I posted in Somalia was probably based on spy satellite imagery because it was so effective (55 killed). They had to know when these guys would be in one place for meals or prayer.

Okay. You won't mind, I'm sure, if I dismiss this thread because nobody knows what they are talking about.

Moving on...

Okay. You won't mind, I'm sure, if I dismiss this thread because nobody knows what they are talking about.

Moving on...

There's lots of factors.

Contracts are on hold. People building this stuff aren't being paid, so they're not working. NASA is partially shutdown, launch permits or changes to them aren't being processed.

Back
Top Bottom