• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon has been politicized ! If you even move that plane one inch, off to the brig

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The first branch of government to be politicized by the Obama administration was the Department of Justice. Then it was the Department of Homeland Security. We finaly discover that the IRS was politicized by the Obama administration. But when the Department of Defense has become politicized this is dangerous.

Excerpts from Marine Corps Times:

Did politics ground Miramar Air Show?

>"A California congressman wants to know why the Defense Department refused to support a Marine Corps air show that reportedly brings in money every year...

The air station did not have to cancel the event, Bardorf wrote, but it had to be executed with a laundry list of restrictions: only local assets and personnel could be used; no appropriated funds could be spent; military flyovers and aerial demonstrations were prohibited; flight training could not be conducted over the event area; the Navy’s Parachute Team, the Leap Frogs, could not perform; and no Navy or Marine aircraft on ground display could so much as start or taxi while spectators were present.Hunter saw this decision as political showmanship designed to highlight the ill effects of sequestration budget cuts, Kasper said...

Hunter’s letter to Hagel asked the defense secretary to provide him with assurances that the air show was not left unsupported for political reasons..."< Entire article. -> Congressman: Did politics ground Miramar Air Show? | Marine Corps Times | marinecorpstimes.com

Other links:
HUNTER SEEKS DATA ON AIR SHOW CANCELLATION | UTSanDiego.com

Hunter: Air show nets $1.5M Page 1 of 2 | UTSanDiego.com

Re: Pentagon has been politicized ! If you even move that plane one inch, off to the

So not spending money is political in what way? Wasn't that what we wanted, cutbacks on unnecessary spending? Surely this event wasn't Republicans only.

I'm always up for some Obama-bashing but this is kind of reaching, dont'cha think?

Re: Pentagon has been politicized ! If you even move that plane one inch, off to the

So not spending money is political in what way? Wasn't that what we wanted, cutbacks on unnecessary spending? Surely this event wasn't Republicans only.

I'm always up for some Obama-bashing but this is kind of reaching, dont'cha think?

If you actually read the link I provided, the Miramar Air Show is a money maker, it doesn't cost the taxpayers one damn cent. And the military gaines training experience at these air shows, something that they aren't getting today under the Obama administration.

The facts are, liberals hate the U.S. military and those who wear the uniform.

The Blue Angels have been around for 65 years. Until Obama grounded them, the Blue Angels have flown during the Korean War, Vietnam War, the three little wars in the Middle East, through recessions and Middle East oil embargos. Nothing was able to ground the Blue Angles except liberal's with in the Obama administration.

Liberals have been trying to ground the Blue Angles and the Air Force Thunderbirds and end all military air shows going back to the late 1960's. It's a fact.

This is nothing but leftist politics from the Obama White House.

Yes, absolutely. The "sequester" was the motive, the miniscule cutback that resulted had to be magnified in the minds of the public, and therefore, such things as the air show and white house tours had to be cut, as those are pretty visible to people.

If you actually read the link I provided, the Miramar Air Show is a money maker, it doesn't cost the taxpayers one damn cent. And the military gaines training experience at these air shows, something that they aren't getting today under the Obama administration.

The facts are, liberals hate the U.S. military and those who wear the uniform.

The Blue Angels have been around for 65 years. Until Obama grounded them, the Blue Angels have flown during the Korean War, Vietnam War, the three little wars in the Middle East, through recessions and Middle East oil embargos. Nothing was able to ground the Blue Angles except liberal's with in the Obama administration.

Liberals have been trying to ground the Blue Angles and the Air Force Thunderbirds and end all military air shows going back to the late 1960's. It's a fact.

This is nothing but leftist politics from the Obama White House.

So why do all "Democrats and Liberals" hate the Blue Angels so much? What is the political objection?

Yes, absolutely. The "sequester" was the motive, the miniscule cutback that resulted had to be magnified in the minds of the public, and therefore, such things as the air show and white house tours had to be cut, as those are pretty visible to people.

And this sequestration is Obama's sequestration. He got exactly what he wanted, the destruction of our military services and eliminating air shows and the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds.

Obama is a leftist and all leftist hate the U.S. military and especially air shows and the Blue Angles.

And as a result, we will no longer be able to defeat our enemies with overwhelming displays of aerial maneuverability

And this sequestration is Obama's sequestration. He got exactly what he wanted, the destruction of our military services and eliminating air shows and the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds. Obama is a leftist and all leftist hate the U.S. military and especially air shows and the Blue Angles.

Blue Angels, not Blue Angles. The sequestration was Obama's idea and agreed to by the Republicans- it is a bipartisan agreement. It was the Budget Control Act of 2011. House Speaker Boehner claimed he got 98% of what he wanted in the bill. 174 republicans voted for the bill, 66 against it in the republican controlled House.

So you constant drum beat is as false as your claim Obama wants to destroy the military.

We only have Hunter's unsubstantiated claim the air show makes the military any money- he offers no proof. As far as a recruiting tool, I would say a weak economy is a far better recruiting tool than a huge tax drain air show. Young people who wouldn't consider the military are more willing when jobs are few and employers fight to keep wages low to include no longer hiring full time workers. I'd think you uber military supporters would be happy with Obama instead of a constant whine.

Flying in an air show is NOT the same as flying combat training missions anymore than marching in a parade is good training for the Infantry. :roll:

Getting the biggest bang for the taxpayer buck should be the order of the day.

I can see how the San Diego chamber of commerce would be up in arms if a major tourist draw was curtailed. However this taxpayer sees using my tax money to fill one city's coffers as unfair to the rest of us hard working 'Mericans.

As an aside I hear the Osh Kosh air show was a big hit.

Your highly partisan opinion that ALL liberals hate the military is as false as saying ALL 'conservatives' exaggerate and wouldn't know the truth if it gave him a lapdance.

It is just a few of you... :mrgreen:

And this sequestration is Obama's sequestration. He got exactly what he wanted, the destruction of our military services and eliminating air shows and the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds.

Obama is a leftist and all leftist hate the U.S. military and especially air shows and the Blue Angles.

Actually, I think it was Congress' sequestration, and not for any ideological reasons but due to sheer inertia, incompetence, and lack of cooperation.

But, that's just my opinion.

and I don't think Obama is capable of manipulating the situation, except, as I said, to make the cuts appear to be as big as possible.

Blue Angels, not Blue Angles. The sequestration was Obama's idea and agreed to by the Republicans- it is a bipartisan agreement. It was the Budget Control Act of 2011. House Speaker Boehner claimed he got 98% of what he wanted in the bill. 174 republicans voted for the bill, 66 against it in the republican controlled House.

So you constant drum beat is as false as your claim Obama wants to destroy the military.

We only have Hunter's unsubstantiated claim the air show makes the military any money- he offers no proof. As far as a recruiting tool, I would say a weak economy is a far better recruiting tool than a huge tax drain air show. Young people who wouldn't consider the military are more willing when jobs are few and employers fight to keep wages low to include no longer hiring full time workers. I'd think you uber military supporters would be happy with Obama instead of a constant whine.

Flying in an air show is NOT the same as flying combat training missions anymore than marching in a parade is good training for the Infantry. :roll:

Getting the biggest bang for the taxpayer buck should be the order of the day.

I can see how the San Diego chamber of commerce would be up in arms if a major tourist draw was curtailed. However this taxpayer sees using my tax money to fill one city's coffers as unfair to the rest of us hard working 'Mericans.

As an aside I hear the Osh Kosh air show was a big hit.

Your highly partisan opinion that ALL liberals hate the military is as false as saying ALL 'conservatives' exaggerate and wouldn't know the truth if it gave him a lapdance.

It is just a few of you... :mrgreen:

I gather you never attended any of the 3rd MAW air shows at El Toro MCAS or Mariamar MCAS ? Back when the 3rd MAW was based at El Toro 1 million people would attend the air show. It was closer to L.A. With the numerous concession stands where all of the profits go for paying for the expense of putting on the show and all of the profits that go to organizations like the Navy Relief, it's a big money maker. If everyone just bought a burger and coke, your talking big bucks.

When the air show was held at El Toro it was the largest free event west of the Mississippi. Today at Marimar it's the largest air show in America if not in the world. Usually every branch of the military participates at the air show. Just about ever model of aircraft in the U.S. military inventory flies in to Mariamar. The pilots, air crews, ground crews, air traffic controllers, etc. all receive extra training. The MP's get the best training in crowd control and traffic control that they could never receive without the air show. Just the security that the Marines provide to protect the hundreds of aircraft and equipment on display and protecting 3/4 of a million civilians from a terrorist attack is on the job training for these Marines.

The grunts, tankers, cannon cockers from the 1st Mar. Div. show up from Camp Pendleton and put of an excellent display, nothing different than the combat training they conduct at Pendleton except it's paid for from the profits made at the air show. And just about every unit with in the 1st Mar. Div. has their own concession and display stands set up raking in the money selling unit t-shirts, hats and parches while answering the thousands of questions that the tax payers have.

Every year my old unit 1st ANGLICO has a booth set up at the air show. I get to visit the Marines who are filling my boots today and they have more questions for me than I have for them.

Then there use to be Gregory (Pappy) Boyington R.I.P. who use to be a mainstay at the 3rd MAW air show. And Bob Hoover, the greatest aviator in history use to put on an unbelievable display of aerobatics. Unfortunately he has gotten old.

One year a buddy and I were at the 3rd MAW air show at El Toro just before they moved to Marimar. We were looking at a California National Guard UH-1D (Huey) when my buddy was looking at the tail number and it ended up being the same "slick" he was a crew chief on during the Vietnam War. He spent an hour talking to the pilot pointing out each little patch that were used to cover up bullet holes telling the story of each patch.

The Marimar Air Show is a money maker and it makes a profit.

I gather you never attended any of the 3rd MAW air shows at El Toro MCAS or Mariamar MCAS ? Back when the 3rd MAW was based at El Toro 1 million people would attend the air show. It was closer to L.A. With the numerous concession stands where all of the profits go for paying for the expense of putting on the show and all of the profits that go to organizations like the Navy Relief, it's a big money maker. If everyone just bought a burger and coke, your talking big bucks.

When the air show was held at El Toro it was the largest free event west of the Mississippi. Today at Marimar it's the largest air show in America if not in the world. Usually every branch of the military participates at the air show. Just about ever model of aircraft in the U.S. military inventory flies in to Mariamar. The pilots, air crews, ground crews, air traffic controllers, etc. all receive extra training. The MP's get the best training in crowd control and traffic control that they could never receive without the air show. Just the security that the Marines provide to protect the hundreds of aircraft and equipment on display and protecting 3/4 of a million civilians from a terrorist attack is on the job training for these Marines.

The grunts, tankers, cannon cockers from the 1st Mar. Div. show up from Camp Pendleton and put of an excellent display, nothing different than the combat training they conduct at Pendleton except it's paid for from the profits made at the air show. And just about every unit with in the 1st Mar. Div. has their own concession and display stands set up raking in the money selling unit t-shirts, hats and parches while answering the thousands of questions that the tax payers have.

Every year my old unit 1st ANGLICO has a booth set up at the air show. I get to visit the Marines who are filling my boots today and they have more questions for me than I have for them.

Then there use to be Gregory (Pappy) Boyington R.I.P. who use to be a mainstay at the 3rd MAW air show. And Bob Hoover, the greatest aviator in history use to put on an unbelievable display of aerobatics. Unfortunately he has gotten old.

One year a buddy and I were at the 3rd MAW air show at El Toro just before they moved to Marimar. We were looking at a California National Guard UH-1D (Huey) when my buddy was looking at the tail number and it ended up being the same "slick" he was a crew chief on during the Vietnam War. He spent an hour talking to the pilot pointing out each little patch that were used to cover up bullet holes telling the story of each patch.

So, shutting down the air show was what? Certainly not a move to austerity, as money was lost by not having it. It has to have been either a political move, then, or simply financial incompetence.

Now, let's see, financial incompetence/ federal government... sounds like a redundancy to me.

Back when the State of California was having trouble balancing the budget, one of the ideas was to close down t he state parks. Now, some of those parks at least charge around $30 a night for a camping space, and are always, but always full. Even during the week, you can't get in without a reservation. Now, were they to cede me the job of keeping the park going, I'm pretty sure I could give them 25% of the proceeds, which would be 25% more than they would make if they were shut down, and still make a pretty good profit.

But, that would be privatization, and no one wants to hear about that.

Government... financial incompetence = redundancy.

Your combat training must have been different from mine, I have done the dog and pony shows for NATO, where we 'assault' across a parade ground like course each step rehearsed over and over, not for our 'training' but to look good from the reviewing stands! :roll:

Waste of valuable training time so the big wigs can watch us play army...

Show ANY facts to back your claim up that the DoD made money- I'm afraid your words works about as well as Hunter's...

Your combat training must have been different from mine, I have done the dog and pony shows for NATO, where we 'assault' across a parade ground like course each step rehearsed over and over, not for our 'training' but to look good from the reviewing stands! :roll:

Waste of valuable training time so the big wigs can watch us play army...

Show ANY facts to back your claim up that the DoD made money- I'm afraid your words works about as well as Hunter's...

Nothing comparable. The display how Marines fight change depending who our enemy is at the time. I remember the one in 67 when unexpectedly all of these guys who were suppose to be Charley would pop out of spider holes firing away with AK-47.

Today it usually starts with a FA-18 doing a recon flight over the airfield. The photos taken are released as souvenirs to the crowd usually within a couple of hours.
Then Marine Force Recon parachutes in and do some poop and snooping.
Then 1st Anglico parachutes in. Then it's announced over the PA statem that there's a navy ship off shore and the ANGLICO Marines are calling in a gunfire mission. Then there are a lot of explosions. (Back when we use to have Iowa class battleships, the explosions were huge.)
Then from the make believe beach amphibious assault vehicles appear unloading hundreds of Marines. Then CH-46 helicopters appear unloading more Marines.
Then FA-18's show up conducting close air support and more explosions.
Then the AH-1 Cobras appear and more explosions.
Those FA-18 are getting thirsty so a KC-130 appears above over the airfield and refuels the thirsty FA-18's while the Marines on the ground advance.
Then the CH-53's appear with 155 mm gun/howitzers hanging from the choppers. Soon the cannon cockers are firing their 155's and more explosions.
Then the tanks appear and the final assault is on.
The end game, the Marines kill all the bad guys and the battle is won.
Then a Marine tank flying a huge American flag in victory passes almost a half of million Americans who are all yelling and cheering and saluting the American flag as it passes by. (I think this is the part of the air show that liberal hate.)

Next part of the show, the Blue Angels.

Nothing comparable. The display how Marines fight change depending who our enemy is at the time. I remember the one in 67 when unexpectedly all of these guys who were suppose to be Charley would pop out of spider holes firing away with AK-47.

Today it usually starts with a FA-18 doing a recon flight over the airfield. The photos taken are released as souvenirs to the crowd usually within a couple of hours.
Then 1st Anglico parachutes in. Then it's announced over the PA statem that there's a navy ship off shore and the ANGLICO Marines are calling in a gunfire mission. Then there are a lot of explosions. (Back when we use to have Iowa class battleships, the explosions were huge.)
Then from the make believe beach amphibious assault vehicles appear unloading hundreds of Marines. Then CH-46 helicopters appear unloading more Marines.
Those FA-18 are getting thirsty so a KC-130 appears above over the airfield and refuels the thirsty FA-18's while the Marines on the ground advance.
Then the CH-53's appear with 155 mm gun/howitzers hanging from the choppers. Soon the cannon cockers are firing their 155's and more explosions.
Then a Marine tank flying a huge American flag in victory passes almost a half of million Americans who are all yelling and cheering and saluting the American flag as it passes by. (I think this is the part of the air show that liberal hate.)

Apacherat, if I were in that crowd, I'd be cheering and yelling, too! How exciting you make it sound! :thumbs:

With all due respect, air shows and such are FANTASTIC recruitment tools as well as great tools to enhance relations between the military community and the local civilian community. They are also excellent morale builders for the military personnel who participate in the event and cost relatively little. It's not like the military folk are getting paid overtime for the show!

'Zactly!!

So, shutting down the air show was what? Certainly not a move to austerity, as money was lost by not having it. It has to have been either a political move, then, or simply financial incompetence.

Now, let's see, financial incompetence/ federal government... sounds like a redundancy to me.

Back when the State of California was having trouble balancing the budget, one of the ideas was to close down t he state parks. Now, some of those parks at least charge around $30 a night for a camping space, and are always, but always full. Even during the week, you can't get in without a reservation. Now, were they to cede me the job of keeping the park going, I'm pretty sure I could give them 25% of the proceeds, which would be 25% more than they would make if they were shut down, and still make a pretty good profit.

But, that would be privatization, and no one wants to hear about that.

Government... financial incompetence = redundancy.

I seem to remember that the state agency who ran the state parks got busted for hiding money that they refused to spend.

Dittohead, you and I both know how Democrats run the state of California. They either spend money they don't have and then yell we need more taxes or new fees and it's for the children.
Or they refuse to spend the money and hide the money and yell we need more taxes and new fees and it's for the children or the parks that are for the children.
But it's a dead giveaway that all of the new revenue is for raising the pay and benefits for all of the public service union members.

Last November those in California who don't pay their fare share in taxes voted to raise taxes on those who are already paying more than their fare share in taxes and when Gov. Moonbeam and the Dem's in the state legislature find that they have a surplus what do they do ? They spend it on giving everyone working for the state a big pay raise.

I seem to remember that the state agency who ran the state parks got busted for hiding money that they refused to spend.

Dittohead, you and I both know how Democrats run the state of California. They either spend money they don't have and then yell we need more taxes or new fees and it's for the children.
Or they refuse to spend the money and hide the money and yell we need more taxes and new fees and it's for the children or the parks that are for the children.
But it's a dead giveaway that all of the new revenue is for raising the pay and benefits for all of the public service union members.

Last November those in California who don't pay their fare share in taxes voted to raise taxes on those who are already paying more than their fare share in taxes and when Gov. Moonbeam and the Dem's in the state legislature find that they have a surplus what do they do ? They spend it on giving everyone working for the state a big pay raise.

That just doesn't seem right! I realize it costs more to live in California, but c'mon! Their retirement packages are lots more than most people make working hard every day at a good paying job! How do they get away with it...over and over? :wow:

With all due respect, air shows and such are FANTASTIC recruitment tools as well as great tools to enhance relations between the military community and the local civilian community. They are also excellent morale builders for the military personnel who participate in the event and cost relatively little. It's not like the military folk are getting paid overtime for the show!

Your 100 % correct Lutherf. And the Miramar Air Show just isn't a great recruiting tool for naval aviation and the Marine Corps but for all branches of the military including the Coast Guard because they all are represented.

Besides the Marines demonstration and the Blue Angles demonstration, the AV-8B Harrier jet demonstration is very popular. And when the Air Force flies in one of their bombers that are displayed it seems to be a big crowd gather.
The FA-117 was always crowded and their was always a Marine rifle fire team to keep spies and Al Qaeda types at bay. Any thing stealthy is always heavily guarded and roaped off and a big crowd gather.

Then there's the air show after the air show. All of those hundreds of aircraft on display have to take off and return to their home bases.
On Sunday night most of the civilian aircraft including all of those old war birds take off. But on Monday morning all of those Navy, Air Force, Air Guard, Army and Army Reserve and national guard aircraft take off and head home and that's an air show in it self.

One year at the El Toro Air Show the Air Force flew in a B-52. I made sure I was around on Monday morning when it took off, that's an air show just watching a B-52 take off.

To be fair, they're also spending it on a high speed train to nowhere.

That just doesn't seem right! I realize it costs more to live in California, but c'mon! Their retirement packages are lots more than most people make working hard every day at a good paying job! How do they get away with it...over and over? :wow:

How do they get away with it ? Look at California's education system, it turns out more stupid people than any other state.
There are a lot of stupid people living in California and most stupid people vote the Democrat ticket.

In Los Angeles County 50 % of the adult population are classified as being either illiterate or functional illiterates and many of them vote.

Well at least ya got the name of the Blue Angels right this time.

The rest is pure dog and pony that is rehearsed and safetied off to the point of being an abstract. Nothing like real combat training, just a show for the tourists and a way fro local businesses to make money...

Now please stop with the dog and pony show and produce the numbers on the profit the DoD makes on this show....

A source other than 'unnamed'... :roll:

How do they get away with it ? Look at California's education system, it turns out more stupid people than any other state.
There are a lot of stupid people living in California and most stupid people vote the Democrat ticket. In Los Angeles County 50 % of the adult population are classified as being either illiterate or functional illiterates and many of them vote.

More Orange Curtain crap. You have to be very select on what parts of California you cherry pick to get close to that claim. Most of that rate is due to a high first generation immigrant population, they never were in the California educational system. :doh

Please produce the source for a 50% illiterate/functional illiterate rate of California educated citizens...

Illiterate doesn't mean stupid- having poor cognitive skills combined with a lack of a factual mental database is a better indicator of stupid and that is not confined to just one party.

Back
Top Bottom