• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon chief of staff quits

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Department of Defense chief of staff Rear Adm. Kevin Sweeney announced Saturday that he is resigning from his post at the Pentagon.

"After two years in the Pentagon, I've decided the time is right to return to the private sector,” Sweeney said in a statement. “It has been an honor to serve again alongside the men and women of the Department of Defense.”

Just last month, former Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis resigned on principle after President Trump announced his intent to withdraw troops from Syria. Since then, other administration officials including Brett McGurk, the special presidential envoy for the global coalition to counter ISIS, and Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White have also departed their posts within the administration.

Source: (Washinton Examiner) Pentagon chief of staff quits

My thought:

Correct me if I'm wrong, ladies & gentlemen. But does it seem Trump is developing a military problem?

My thought:

Correct me if I'm wrong, ladies & gentlemen. But does it seem Trump is developing a military problem?

Yes, however, the Left decried Trump's military problem, which used to be hiring too many of them.
From what you've posted, there's no telling if this has anything to do with Trump, or just someone moving back into the private sector to make lots of money.

My thought:

Trump has had a “military problem” from square one; it’s surprising that it has taken this long for folks to see/admit!

Is it better to be inside pissing out or be on the outside pissing in?

Military loved Trump when he increased their budget, so no, he didn't used to have one.

How long will it be before 45 starts with the disgusting tweets?

The officers corps is but at shadow of what it used to be.

You can see that clearly in all of the bungling that our military has done in recent decades.

Please extrapolate on your insight to the US military problems..........

No military problem. Trump knows more than all of the generals. After all, he went to military school in his childhood AND seemingly avoided injury during his personal Vietnam.

Yes, however, the Left decried Trump's military problem, which used to be hiring too many of them.
From what you've posted, there's no telling if this has anything to do with Trump, or just someone moving back into the private sector to make lots of money.

Are you kidding me? If anything even though there was a somewhat unusual number of them people took at least some comfort in knowing that there were at least a few people there with the type experience and knowledge to keep Trump at least somewhat grounded in the realm of reality. Where those of things are concerned anyway. Now who is left for that? And clearly with the exception of one general who happened to get charged with lying to the FBI and the rest slowly one by one became exasperated with Trump. I don't know who it is he is going to find out there now that is any rush to take one for the team.

My thought:

I don't see a Trump military problem at all ... (grin).

From your link, Sweeney had retired from the military in 2014 and was working in the private sector.
Mattis personally sought him out and "hired" him to "... Sweeney advised and counseled Mattis."

Mattis is gone and with it Sweeney's reason to stay ...Sweeney goes back to what he did before: run a company.

Where is the Trump military problem?!?

Please extrapolate on your insight to the US military problems..........

having worked in a military contractor's mess hall, he brings a wealth of expertise and experience about the current status of the armed forces' leadership

Not surprising - he was a Mattis protégée. A new Sec Def will likely bring his own Chief of Staff. But "Trump!:twisted:" Amiright?

So another person from Boeing?

No military problem. Trump knows more than all of the generals. After all, he went to military school in his childhood AND seemingly avoided injury during his personal Vietnam.

Ummmm, we are not 100% sure he "avoided injury". His personality and behavior are becoming increasingly that of an untreated syphilitic in the dementia stage.

No, the fact that substantially all of Trump's direct reports have quit is not reflection of Trump. Its just coincidence that they all want to cash in on their great resume inclusion of being part of the Trump administration.

17 independent investigations, most of them criminal; complete turnover of the White House staff (some positions turning over multiple times); multiple exposes that all paint a similar picture of turmoil, capriciousness and incompetence inside the West Wing; and a POTUS that clearly has no command of the issues yet people continue to tell us this is normal; nothing to see. No, there is too much to see. The emperor has no clothes.

I guess its going to take a nice tall, cool glass of Kool-aid before many understand they have been duped. They are in a cult.

No, the fact that substantially all of Trump's direct reports have quit is not reflection of Trump. Its just coincidence that they all want to cash in on their great resume inclusion of being part of the Trump administration.

17 independent investigations, most of them criminal; complete turnover of the White House staff (some positions turning over multiple times); multiple exposes that all paint a similar picture of turmoil, capriciousness and incompetence inside the West Wing; and a POTUS that clearly has no command of the issues yet people continue to tell us this is normal; nothing to see. No, there is too much to see. The emperor has no clothes.

I guess its going to take a nice tall, cool glass of Kool-aid before many understand they have been duped. They are in a cult.

How was that jobs report again? Oh, right. Exceedingly good.

How was that jobs report again? Oh, right. Exceedingly good.

If you balance that with the TRUMP shutdown, you get a negative 488K. Math not your strong suit, eh?

Another lump in my stomach; anyone with the slightest bit of military experience and a brain is bailing out. Our country is becoming defenseless from the top down.

Good grief ... take a spoonful of Pepto-Bismol ...

My thought:

There are plenty of Generals and Admirals who can be appointed in his place. :shrug:

Meanwhile, as mentioned in another response, nothing in the article indicates he resigned because of Trump aside from an attempt to do so by linking his "friendship" with Mattis.

That's like saying any of the many military personnel I've served with during my active duty period would prove my motivation for any of my own acts and choices, simply because we may have been "friendly."

How about we wait and see if he states his action was related to working for the President, or is it simply okay to make up stories because we want them to be true?

Last edited:
There are plenty of Generals and Admirals who can be appointed in his place. :shrug:

Meanwhile, as mentioned in another response, nothing in the article indicates he resigned because of Trump aside from an attempt to do so by linking his "friendship" with Mattis.

That's like saying any of the many military personnel I've served with during my active duty period would prove my motivation for any of my own acts and choices.

Yeah all of them are probably praying that he won't call. And it's probably not irrelevant that Sweeney was a very close associate of General Mattis.

I don't see a Trump military problem at all ... (grin).

From your link, Sweeney had retired from the military in 2014 and was working in the private sector.
Mattis personally sought him out and "hired" him to "... Sweeney advised and counseled Mattis."

Mattis is gone and with it Sweeney's reason to stay ...Sweeney goes back to what he did before: run a company.

Where is the Trump military problem?!?
Not surprising - he was a Mattis protégée. A new Sec Def will likely bring his own Chief of Staff. But "Trump!:twisted:" Amiright?
Yes, he was a Mattis protege' but I do find the additional brain -drain disconcerting.

Part of what's bothering me here, is the acting Secy of Def seems so under qualified. He seems little more than a lobbyist that got inside. So quite frankly, I now see no leadership or institutional knowledge in this most important position.

Yea, he'll get about $200 or $300K (I know from personal experience) a year from some beltway bandit

(otherwise known as defense contractors or think tanks called paper pushers) but has 2 or 3 years at best,

to be a rainmaker or he is gone.

Trump is for the military, a complete unknown. Therefore he represents risk.

Time to get out now for any number of the 2000 army generals half of which, we don't need or all of those fat ass, check collecting admirals.

The whole military is a microcosm of just how top heavy the US is and in almost every respect and are in the end...

merely more capitalist bloodsuckers.

Last edited:
Another lump in my stomach; anyone with the slightest bit of military experience and a brain is bailing out. Our country is becoming defenseless from the top down.
And Trump's acting guy that replaced Mattis seems little more than a Boeing plant. In fact, Trump's cabinet seems to be getting stuffed with acting lobbyist heads! As if the swamp has literally been directly injected into our government, and at the highest levels at that! :doh

Back
Top Bottom