• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pentagon Approves National Guard Request as Trucker Convoys Head to D.C.

Get tow trucks ready.

I had to look that up. That's some heavy equipment.
Let's say that the 12 rigs would be pushed aside pretty easy, but the roads might get chewed up a bit.

Pentagon Approves National Guard Request as Trucker Convoys Head to D.C.​

---As it should be, as it should have been on January 5th, goddammit.​

And if any of those knuckleheads decide to storm the Capitol or any other government building, I hope the NG guns them down en masse as what should have happened on 1/6.

Amazing. DC mayor now wants National Guard to defend it from a peaceful protest of american citizens who happen to be truckers. The DC mayor didn't want them when Trump made them available during the Jan 6 rally. She used them to direct traffic. The democrats around the country didn't want National Guard troops during the riots in LA, SF, NYC, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle and a host of others. Now she wants to punish law abiding trucker who are exercising freedom of assembly and speech. Just like a democrat/marxist.
Do you EVER get tired of making shit up?

The mayor can, and did, request national guard assistance to manage traffic. The capitol itself is not under her jurisdiction.

The secretary of defense approves deployment.
Ok, first, you said it was Pelosi's fault (in another thread long time ago). Or it is the mayor's fault. Now you say it is the secretary of defense's fault. It is ANYBODY'S fault but Trump's. Isn't that right, dc?

Again - that's not her job. She can't force help in the capitol.

There were a number of people that questioned why the Capitol police didn't ask for national guard support. It would be a good thing for a congressional committee to dive into
There is sworn testimony by the Capitol police that they did request NG support and they were given the runaround.

Once upon a time, the Left claimed to represent the blue-collar working class people.
Nowadays, the Left sneer, smear and spit on the blue-collar working class people, calling them deplorables, ignorant dolts, racist, misogynist, etc.

The Left have ditched the blue-collar working class people, in favor of globalism and their new buddies on Wall Street and Silicon Valley, big capital and big tech.

Anyone remember Orwell's Animal Farm and how it ends? Nah, that's banned reading among the Left.
These truckers don't represent a majority of the blue collar working class, or even truckers in general. But these 'people' suspiciously resemble the kind of people you would expect to see at at any Trump or far right rally, the usual misspelled signs and a smattering mix of Confederate and Neo-Nazi flags and other such far right and offensive symbols interspersed among them.

I think the NOW component has to do with some states lagging behind with the easing ...
And this is AFTER the year long revelation about masks being relatively ineffective and the virus having a death rate comparable to the flu. The main difference is the death rate really affects those greater than 65 whereas the flu has a higher rate among children.
I am guessing they think the stubborn ones and the Fed need the message sent?
There are multiple studies that say you're wrong about masks not being effective against spreading disease.

And besides that, does it ever occur to you that all surgeons in all operating rooms across the nation insist that everyone in the room wear a mask during surgery? Are all those doctors stupid or just part of the centuries-long conspiracy to thwart your freedoms?

I wonder if congress members like Ayanna Presslay are still supporting “unrest in the streets“ or have they finally come around to the idea of not letting protesters take over our city streets to make their point. More importantly will they continue to feel this way when a group they support decides to block traffic or become hypocritical shits?

You're deeply trapped in a delusion.

Trump, a self-styled maverich reformer, innocently demanded reform for NATO, including NATO partners paying their fair share as per their commitments to the organization, and for that the corrupt NATO lobby got stirred up like a hornet's nest and came down on him like a ton of bricks. Within hours of Trump's statement, NATO shill Madeleine Albright appeared on MSNBC, expressing her alarm and calling Trump "crazy" -- all because he dared to ask NATO members to pay their fair share. Within a few days, allegations suddenly surfaced that Trump's campaign manager Paul Manafort had "worked for Russia" (so had his Democrat colleague, and furthermore they'd also worked for Ukraine.) Then those allegations were quickly spun into "suspicions" that Trump had ties with Putin. And the Russia Collusion Hoax went into high gear --- all because Trump had dared to ask hallowed holy NATO to pay their fair share.

And ignorant people like you just swallowed this conspiracy theory hook, line and sinker, without even challenging it, when it wasn't even based on any evidence whatsoever -- not a shred of it.
"Fair share" - BS!

Did you know that the United States of America spends LESS of its GDP on NATO than Canada (and each of 24 other NATO members)? Did you know that the only NATO members who spend less of their GDP on NATO than the US does are Spain, Belgium, and Luxembourg?

NATO - Percentage of defence on NATO.JPG

What the US government is asking the NATO members to do is to spend as much money on NATO (as a percentage of GDP) as the US spends on its entire military commitments around the world.

The US would have to increase its spending on NATO by 42.685% just to reach the AVERAGE amount that NATO members spend on NATO and would have to increase its spending on NATO by 72.117% to equal the 2% of GDP that the US government has deemed is the "fair share" to be contributed to the military aspects of NATO.

When the US is spending as much of its GDP on NATO as North Macedonia is spending on NATO, get back to me.

What are the chances that this convoy thing is being funded by Russia covertly in part or in whole to try and distract us from their actions against Ukraine.
Well, for one thing, it's in Canada so it really doesn't have much of an impact on American society - does it?

If you think that the Russians are stupid enough to fund a "civil protest" in Canada in order to "distract" Americans from ANYTHING, I have some lovely sea side villas on Mare Tranquillitatis that I can let you have at what I consider to be a very good price.

There are multiple studies that say you're wrong about masks not being effective against spreading disease.

And besides that, does it ever occur to you that all surgeons in all operating rooms across the nation insist that everyone in the room wear a mask during surgery? Are all those doctors stupid or just part of the centuries-long conspiracy to thwart your freedoms?
I understand your point but i have never understood the doctors in operating room as a valid example as needing a mask to get a loaf of bread. There is a world of differences between being in as sterile of an environment as possible with a human body laying on a table cut open for hours and the importance of a mask as part of the total package to reduce germ transmission. Versus passing someone down the cereal aisle of Walmart for two seconds with a bandanna hanging half off their face and how important that is in reducing germ transmission.

Some of the policies, especially in the early stages, seemed more about the appearance of doing something rather than any effective steps in slowing transmission. In recent times you have a president saying you donr need a mask, then wondering why people resist wear them when they want them to walk that narrative back.

Last edited:
I understand your point but i have never understood the doctors in operating room as a valid example as needing a mask to get a loaf of bread. There is a world of differences between being in as sterile of an environment as possible with a human body laying on a table cut open for hours and the importance of a mask as part of the total package to reduce germ transmission. Versus passing someone down the cereal aisle of Walmart for two seconds with a bandanna hanging half off their face and how important that is in reducing germ transmission.

Some of the policies, especially in the early stages, seemed more about the appearance of doing something rather than any effective steps in slowing transmission. In recent times you have a president saying you donr need a mask, then wondering why people resist wear them when they want them to walk that narrative back.
Well, when it comes to real world data, the places where there were mask mandates in place had a much lower rate of infection than those places that resisted it.

"Fair share" - BS!

Did you know that the United States of America spends LESS of its GDP on NATO than Canada (and each of 24 other NATO members)? Did you know that the only NATO members who spend less of their GDP on NATO than the US does are Spain, Belgium, and Luxembourg?

What the US government is asking the NATO members to do is to spend as much money on NATO (as a percentage of GDP) as the US spends on its entire military commitments around the world.

The US would have to increase its spending on NATO by 42.685% just to reach the AVERAGE amount that NATO members spend on NATO and would have to increase its spending on NATO by 72.117% to equal the 2% of GDP that the US government has deemed is the "fair share" to be contributed to the military aspects of NATO.

When the US is spending as much of its GDP on NATO as North Macedonia is spending on NATO, get back to me.

What is salient in that chart is not the two columns on the right, but the one to the left. Though it would be interesting to see how it is figuring what is spent "on NATO", what they are SUPPOSED to be doing is spending at least 2% on DEFENSE, that can then be transmitted to NATO if/when necessary.

If a country spent 0.0001% of their GDP on defense, buying a single platoon of drunks who lacked rifles, but somehow on that chart claimed that all of them were for NATO, that's not going to make them an actual ally and partner. It makes them a free rider.

I understand your point but i have never understood the doctors in operating room as a valid example as needing a mask to get a loaf of bread. There is a world of differences between being in as sterile of an environment as possible with a human body laying on a table cut en for hours and the importance of a mask as part of the total package to reduce germ transmission. Versus passing someone down the cereal aisle of Walmart for two seconds with a bandanna hanging half off their face and how important that is in reducing germ transmission.

Why do doctors wear masks in the OR? BECAUSE IT CUTS DOWN ON DISEASE TRANSMISSION. FACT.

Does it prevent 100% of all post-operative infections? No. Nevertheless, the hospitals and the doctors and the professionals who actually study such things away from the glaring lights of politics agree that wearing masks cuts down on disease transmission and has done so for over 100 years, long before Trump and FOX NEWS came along to set us all straight. Or it is possible that masks somehow lose their ability to reduce disease transmission once they are outside of the hospital setting?

You know what we saw over the past two years? Social distancing, mask wearing, and hand washing has reduced the incidence of Flu. We have had two of the most dramatic drops in flu infections the world has ever seen. But somehow, those same measures are totally ineffective in reducing the incidence of covid-19, according to some dubious sources.

The truckers have a right to protest. They don't have a right to stop traffic and turn the area into a mess.

I wish they would protest peacefully and not cause a traffic mess and hope that is what they do.

I hope that the National Guard won't be needed but it's best to have them around just in case.

I just have to ask, why now? The mandates are being eased. The time to protest was when it all started.

Not when it's all ending.

Trucker convoy in DC? What are these idiots protesting?

Ok, first, you said it was Pelosi's fault (in another thread long time ago). Or it is the mayor's fault. Now you say it is the secretary of defense's fault. It is ANYBODY'S fault but Trump's. Isn't that right, dc?
I think you are really confused about what I said. Maybe go back.

The secretary of defense has to approve the requests for national guard deployment. He approved every request he received for that day.

The president isn't required for national guard deployment. Additionally, the president at the time had previously authorized any assistance the Capitol needed, leaving that up to his subordinates.

The Mayor is responsible for the city area - in this case the streets around the capitol complex - but NOT the capitol complex where all of this occurred. She requested in advance, and was given, assistance for traffic control.

Security of the Capitol complex is the responsibility of the Capitol Police, the capitol police board (including the Sergeants at arms of the house and senate), who ultimately report to the House Speaker and Senate Majority Leader. The request for national guard assistance there has to come from the Capitol police. Despite warnings that this would be a larger crowd than they could handle, with indications of potential violence, they didn't request it, because it would look bad. Despite warnings from the FBI and others.

So who's fault is it that the guard wasn't present? Those at the Capitol who didn't ask for it.

Are these deplorables really going to do a cheap imitation of Canada deplorables at Fox's insistence?

What ignorant, manipulated dolts.
We were promised a Super Bowl protest to... that never happened.

Trucker convoy in DC? What are these idiots protesting?
I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't just deploy a bunch of truckers to the Ukraine. They apparently can paralyze whole governments.

I just have to ask, why now? The mandates are being eased. The time to protest was when it all started.

Not when it's all ending.

Hey, to an anti-vaxxer type, folks who do not live in an evidence-based world, things dont have to make sense. Matter of fact....you can be assured they will not make sense.

They dont call 'em trumptards for nuttin' Friend!

I think you are really confused about what I said. Maybe go back.

The secretary of defense has to approve the requests for national guard deployment. He approved every request he received for that day.

The president isn't required for national guard deployment. Additionally, the president at the time had previously authorized any assistance the Capitol needed, leaving that up to his subordinates.

The Mayor is responsible for the city area - in this case the streets around the capitol complex - but NOT the capitol complex where all of this occurred. She requested in advance, and was given, assistance for traffic control.

Security of the Capitol complex is the responsibility of the Capitol Police, the capitol police board (including the Sergeants at arms of the house and senate), who ultimately report to the House Speaker and Senate Majority Leader. The request for national guard assistance there has to come from the Capitol police. Despite warnings that this would be a larger crowd than they could handle, with indications of potential violence, they didn't request it, because it would look bad. Despite warnings from the FBI and others.

So who's fault is it that the guard wasn't present? Those at the Capitol who didn't ask for it.

Yeah, you might wan to the let the DC NG know that. They seem to be under some misguided notions.
The D.C National Guard was formed in 1802 by President Thomas Jefferson to defend the newly created District of Columbia. As such, the Commanding General of the D.C. National Guard is subordinate solely to the President of the United States. This authority to activate the D.C. National Guard has been delegated, by the President, to the Secretary of Defense and further delegated to the Secretary of the Army. The D.C. National Guard is the only National Guard unit, out of all of the 54 states and territories, which reports only to the President.

It everybody's -anybody's - fault but Trump's. He sat there in the WH watching the chaos unfold and did nothing for several hours, because according to you, it wasn't his job. He was just supposed to sit there and watch like all the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom