• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pentagon Admits Fault in Domestic Spying

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
The Pentagon has admitted in a letter that it was a mistake to spy on American peace groups, including the Quakers.

For those on this board who so vigorously defended the spying on peace groups, time to eat a little crow.... Unless that is, you are claiming that you know better than the Pentagon does.

Anyways, the good news is that ALL reports concerning lawful protest activities, and that is what they were, have been purged, and the Pentagon now has freed up some additional resources they now can use to try and catch real terrorists. Meanwhile, I can rest assured that my claim has not only been vindicated by the facts, but from a Pentagon admission to boot.

Article is here.

Nothing like a little self-congrtulatory patting yourself on the back, eh? Barf.

oldreliable67 said:
Nothing like a little self-congrtulatory patting yourself on the back, eh? Barf.

After all the flames I took from your side when I made my original thread on this issue, an "I told you so" is appropriate. :)

Meanwhile, the wiretapping revisions have been made, the Patriot Act is signed and we can get back to catching bad guys.....that is until the next scandal. The hunting accident was two weeks ago. I give it about another week.

danarhea said:
After all the flames I took from your side when I made my original thread on this issue, an "I told you so" is appropriate. :)

A simple 'I told you so' is totally fine. More is just being offensive - again.

oldreliable67 said:
A simple 'I told you so' is totally fine. More is just being offensive - again.
Oh really? I got the crap flamed out of me when I first brought the subject up a few months ago, and you call me offensive for patting myself on the back? Where was your outrage when I was being flamed? Oh, thats right, there wasnt any.

Now to be fair, you were not one of the ones skewering me over this issue, but at the same time, it is pretty hypocritical to be giving me the business over this now, when it was ok with you for others to flame me back then over it. So I have no problem saying I was right and your side was wrong, while showing that I feel pretty damn good about it.

danarhea said:
Oh really? I got the crap flamed out of me when I first brought the subject up a few months ago, and you call me offensive for patting myself on the back? Where was your outrage when I was being flamed? Oh, thats right, there wasnt any.

Now to be fair, you were not one of the ones skewering me over this issue, but at the same time, it is pretty hypocritical to be giving me the business over this now, when it was ok with you for others to flame me back then over it. So I have no problem saying I was right and your side was wrong, while showing that I feel pretty damn good about it.

oldreliable, you know I like you, but I must commend danarhea. danarhea, you are absolutely correct. :clap:

I am proud of you for recognizing that oldreliable was not part of the skewering.

P.S. danarhea, why are you always "horny"?

KCConservative said:
Meanwhile, the wiretapping revisions have been made ...
The 'provisions,' which haven't been made law yet afaik, are just for the pre-fooled, so to speak. The issue is constitutional. It would take an ammendment to counteract the force of another ammendment (the 4th) to the constitution. Even if the milktoast attempt at legitimacy passes both houses, it has no real bearing on the consititutionality of warrantless searches of Americans.

Simon W. Moon said:
The 'provisions,' which haven't been made law yet afaik, are just for the pre-fooled, so to speak. The issue is constitutional. It would take an ammendment to counteract the force of another ammendment (the 4th) to the constitution. Even if the milktoast attempt at legitimacy passes both houses, it has no real bearing on the consititutionality of warrantless searches of Americans.
Yes, of course. You're right.

aps said:
oldreliable, you know I like you, but I must commend danarhea. danarhea, you are absolutely correct. :clap:

I am proud of you for recognizing that oldreliable was not part of the skewering.

P.S. danarhea, why are you always "horny"?

What musician isnt? LOL. Seriously, I have a sexy wife, who has been making me hot and bothered for over 30 years. Am surprised I havent had a heart attack yet.

Lucky me. :)

danarhea said:
What musician isnt? LOL. Seriously, I have a sexy wife, who has been making me hot and bothered for over 30 years. Am surprised I havent had a heart attack yet.

That is fantastic. I am sure you make her feel sexy too, you horndog. ;)

danarhea said:

I can't tell by your Picture....what do you play Guitar or Bass?

SixStringHero said:
I can't tell by your Picture....what do you play Guitar or Bass?

Both, but not at the same time. LOL.

danarhea said:
Both, but not at the same time. LOL.

LOL

Yeah, I guess it goes without saying if you can play a guitar you can play a bass. It's just minus 2 strings no big deal.

I would say I'm a much better guitar player than bass player though.

Now to be fair, you were not one of the ones skewering me over this issue...So I have no problem saying I was right and your side was wrong, while showing that I feel pretty damn good about it.

Since, as you say, I was "not one of the ones skewering" you, how can you say that my side was wrong? You have no idea how I felt about this issue. I'm guessing that because I am pro-Bush ME policies and ex-military, you automatically think I would be aligned against your pov in this. Actually, you would be right, but only partially: I have no problem with the underlying intent of the program; however, the execution and implementation appeared clumsy, ill-supervised and ill-advised, which could only have lead to abuses. So in this, we agree: much to be critical of in that respect. Now you know my position.

Of course, you didn't note in your self-congratulatory exercise that the program continues, albeit with new policies, guidelines, and training. Instead, your post was ambiguous in that regard.

This line from Col. Tim Collins' speech summarizes the point I'm trying, in a very clumsy manner, to make: "if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory."

oldreliable67 said:
Since, as you say, I was "not one of the ones skewering" you, how can you say that my side was wrong? You have no idea how I felt about this issue. I'm guessing that because I am pro-Bush ME policies and ex-military, you automatically think I would be aligned against your pov in this. Actually, you would be right, but only partially: I have no problem with the underlying intent of the program; however, the execution and implementation appeared clumsy, ill-supervised and ill-advised, which could only have lead to abuses. So in this, we agree: much to be critical of in that respect. Now you know my position.

Of course, you didn't note in your self-congratulatory exercise that the program continues, albeit with new policies, guidelines, and training. Instead, your post was ambiguous in that regard.

This line from Col. Tim Collins' speech summarizes the point I'm trying, in a very clumsy manner, to make: "if you are ferocious in battle remember to be magnanimous in victory."
I will defer that question to the Pentagon for an answer, which they have already given, by their own admission.

danarhea said:
I will defer that question to the Pentagon for an answer, which they have already given, by their own admission.

Still didn't make myself clear - my (continuing) bad. I was referring specifically to your suggestion that I am a member of the 'side' that was, if read your inference correctly, comprised of conservatives or Bushies or a Pentagonista's or whatever you are calling the group that flamed you in your thread. But by your own admission, you didn't know what 'side' I was on. Furthermore, as it happens, I partially (emphasis partially) agreed with the critics of this program. Just trying to point out that contradiction, but clearly not doing it very well.

I can handle being flamed and skewered, but lets do it for the right reasons!

oldreliable67 said:
Still didn't make myself clear - my (continuing) bad. I was referring specifically to your suggestion that I am a member of the 'side' that was, if read your inference correctly, comprised of conservatives or Bushies or a Pentagonista's or whatever you are calling the group that flamed you in your thread. But by your own admission, you didn't know what 'side' I was on. Furthermore, as it happens, I partially (emphasis partially) agreed with the critics of this program. Just trying to point out that contradiction, but clearly not doing it very well.

I can handle being flamed and skewered, but lets do it for the right reasons!
Fair enough on your answer, and I apologize. My whole point, when you brought up the issue of my crowing about it, is that I had a reason to, since I got my butt skewered by the OTHER side over it. Of course, it was wrong of me to automatically link you with the other side, so I do agree with you on that point, and stand corrected.

oldreliable67 said:
I have no problem with the underlying intent of the program; however, the execution and implementation appeared clumsy, ill-supervised and ill-advised, which could only have lead to abuses.

I believe that was the whole problem with the division concerning the program. I don't recall anyone calling for the abolition of the spying, as long as it was done within the current confines of the law and with oversight.

KCConservative said:
Meanwhile, the wiretapping revisions have been made, the Patriot Act is signed and we can get back to catching bad guys.....that is until the next scandal. The hunting accident was two weeks ago. I give it about another week.

Ya think they can go THAT long without screwing something up? :2funny:

BWG said:

We shall see, BWG....we shall see. It has been a rather boring week watching Hardball this week. We need something juicy to happen.

BWG said:
The real question is: Can the jealous hate-filled left go THAT long before trumping up another scandal?

aps said:
We shall see, BWG....we shall see. It has been a rather boring week watching Hardball this week. We need something juicy to happen.
So create something. Boredom has never stopped you before.

KCConservative said:
The real question is: Can the jealous hate-filled left go THAT long before trumping up another scandal?

No need, the cons come complete with batteries....:2rofll:

danarhea said:
The Pentagon has admitted in a letter that it was a mistake to spy on American peace groups, including the Quakers.

For those on this board who so vigorously defended the spying on peace groups, time to eat a little crow.... Unless that is, you are claiming that you know better than the Pentagon does.

Anyways, the good news is that ALL reports concerning lawful protest activities, and that is what they were, have been purged, and the Pentagon now has freed up some additional resources they now can use to try and catch real terrorists. Meanwhile, I can rest assured that my claim has not only been vindicated by the facts, but from a Pentagon admission to boot.

Article is here.

You know, its funny that the Quakers were under surveillance. They are so dangerous to the country, followed by terrorism and nuclear proliferation of course. If I recall right, James Madison once asked if maybe the Quakers were the only religious people to be trusted, when he was arguing against the government control Christianity wanted in his time.

Back
Top Bottom