• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Penny Marshall Dead at 75

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Penny Marshall Dead at 75

latest

12/18/18
Penny Marshall, the amazing actress, comedian and director has died. Marshall died Monday night at her Hollywood Hills home. We've learned the cause of death was complications from diabetes. Penny's first recurring role was playing Myrna Turner on "The Odd Couple," which was directed by her brother. She also appeared on "Happy Days" with Cindy Williams, and they became famous from their spin-off sitcom, "Laverne & Shirley." It became a monster hit in 1976 and ran for 8 seasons. Her character's moniker -- the "L" for Laverne on her sweater -- became one of the most famous logos in television. Penny's family says, "Our family is heartbroken over the passing of Penny Marshall. Penny was a tomboy who loved sports, doing puzzles of any kind, drinking milk and Pepsi together and being with her family." "As an actress, her work on 'Laverne & Shirley' broke ground featuring blue-collar women entertaining America in prime time." "She was a comedic natural with a photographic memory and an instinct for slapstick," her family added. "We hope her life continues to inspire other to spend time with family, work hard and make of their dreams come true."

Penny was once married to Rob Reiner and once dated Art Garfunkel. She had an amazing lineage ... her brother was famed director Garry Marshall. She directed her daughter, Tracy Reiner, who played Betty in "A League of Their Own." One of Penny's closest friends was Carrie Fisher. They had joint birthdays and Penny was godmother to Carrie's daughter, Billie Lourd. Penny was a massive basketball fan and was a staple at Clippers games for years. The family says a celebration of Penny's life will be held at a later date.

RIP Penny - L - Marshall

Rest in peace.

Didn't know she directed Big and A League.

I got to meet Penny Marshall back in the late 1980's. Like Tom Hanks, she's just a really down to earth nice person, and so was her wonderful brother, Garry K. Marshall. PS: Cindy Williams, also a sweetheart.

Wonderful lady, funny actress, brilliant director. I am sorry to see her go.

RIP... a real talent lost today.

I would not have made my thread if I had already seen yours. I deem her worth two threads... each in a different section. Peace my friend. May our Best Times lie ahead!

Can you believe Bucky never heard of her?

Oh I am starting to remember she was in those k-mart commericals I saw when I was a kid.

Oh no. :( :( I loved her. Grew up with her drinking milk and Pepsi (her, not me). :lol:

Loved her brother, too. He died only a couple of years ago.

L&S have a special place in my childhood memories. Now I can’t get the theme song out of my head.

RIP

“Schlemiel! Schlimazel! Hasenpfeffer Incorporated!”

One more gone from childhood TV shows. RIP

L&S have a special place in my childhood memories. Now I can’t get the theme song out of my head.

RIP

I saw a show called '2 Broke Girls' that I found eerily reminiscent, even the intro song. Han is Squiggy.

It is interesting how they refer to her as an actor when she was a much more successful director over her life.

Also I think the story of how she got her job on Happy Days and Lavern & Shirley is funny.

You should look it up.

Anyway, RIP Penny.

Back
Top Bottom