• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Penny Marshall Dead: ‘Laverne & Shirley’ Star Dies at 75

Trippy Trekker

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Excerpts from a US Weekly article:

Penny Marshall is dead. The legendary actress died on Monday, December 17, Us Weekly can confirm.

The former Laverne & Shirley star died in her Hollywood Hills home due to complications from diabetes, Marshall’s family revealed in a statement to Us.

Marshall made her TV debut in 1967 on NBC’s The Danny Thomas Hour and starred as Laverne DeFazio in the hit sitcom from 1976 to 1983.

Marshall’s extraordinary career also includes directing Tom Hanks in the 1988 film Big. Other movies she directed include the 1992 blockbuster comedy, A League of Their Own and the 1990 drama Awakenings that starred Robin Williams and 2001’s Riding in Cars with Boys.

The Bronx native — born Carole Penny Marshall — was the first female filmmaker to direct two movies that grossed more than $100 million at the box office.

During her career, Marshall was nominated for three Golden Globe awards for Best Performance by an Actress in a TV Series – Comedy Or Musical for her role in Laverne & Shirley.

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/penny-marshall-dead-at-75/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Marshall

Like so many others, I knew her best as Laverne. I definitely felt like I knew her! Condolences to her family, friends and fans.

She has left a lasting impression! With a hint of sadness in my eyes... a big smile on my face... upon hearing about her death, I stood up alone in a room in front of a TV and applauded her legacy. Well done Penny.. well done... and a Big Thank You for making so many of us laugh!

Rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom