• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pence says ‘whoever’ is next GOP president will back national abortion ban

MTAtech

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal

Former Vice President Mike Pence said in a new interview that the next Republican elected to the Oval Office, “whoever that may be,” will support a national abortion ban.

“I welcome any and all efforts to advance the cause of life in state capitals or in the nation’s capital,” Pence said in an interview with RealClearPolitics published Wednesday. “And I have every confidence that the next Republican president, whoever that may be, will stand for the right to life.”

=======
A few days ago, a conservative poster here claimed abortion (and other rights) Republicans want decided by the states. I said that was BS — Republicans want an abortion ban and if Republicans controlled the federal government again, they wouldn’t hesitate to ban abortion federally. Pence is now admitting it.

This is an excellent reason to deny Republicans control of any part of the government.

Former Vice President Mike Pence said in a new interview that the next Republican elected to the Oval Office, “whoever that may be,” will support a national abortion ban.

“I welcome any and all efforts to advance the cause of life in state capitals or in the nation’s capital,” Pence said in an interview with RealClearPolitics published Wednesday. “And I have every confidence that the next Republican president, whoever that may be, will stand for the right to life.”

=======
A few days ago, a conservative poster here claimed abortion (and other rights) Republicans want decided by the states. I said that was BS — Republicans want an abortion ban and if Republicans controlled the federal government again, they wouldn’t hesitate to ban abortion federally. Pence is now admitting it.

This is an excellent reason to deny Republicans control of any part of the government.
They really are trying to lose the female vote, and get more woman to get out to vote against them. Strange strategy.

So...does this means that the idiot left is going back to hating Pence again?
First, when “the left” believes in Jewish Space Lasers or that windmills cause cancer, you can call them idiots. For now, that’s reserved for the right wing.

Second, we haven’t stopped detesting Pence’s out of the mainstream beliefs. The fact that he believes in democracy doesn’t give him brownie points. It is what everyone should believe in.

First, when “the left” believes in Jewish Space Lasers or that windmills cause cancer, you can call them idiots. For now, that’s reserved for the right wing.

Second, we haven’t stopped detesting Pence’s out of the mainstream beliefs. The fact that he believes in democracy doesn’t give him brownie points. It is what everyone should believe in.
:ROFLMAO:

The idiot left hailed him as an anti-Trump hero for saving the country and democracy......

for a minute.

I think the issue should stay right where it belongs...with the states. A national law without an amendment to the US Constitution will not withstand constitutional challenges. It's simply an issue for the states. However it is amusing that the left, who sold the concept of a national right to abortion for half a century is up in arms about a similar move in the other direction by GOP candidates.

I think the issue should stay right where it belongs...with the states. A national law without an amendment to the US Constitution will not withstand constitutional challenges. It's simply an issue for the states. However it is amusing that the left, who sold the concept of a national right to abortion for half a century is up in arms about a similar move in the other direction by GOP candidates.
Well, Pence and many other Republicans chant the Tenth Amendment but when they have federal muscle behind them, they don’t believe in the Tenth.

As for fundamental rights, there are rights that belong to the people, as per the Ninth Amendment. I don’t want states deciding that interracial marriage is illegal, as it was in 1967, before the SCOTUS ruled Virginia’s law unconstitutional. I also don’t want reactionary states trampling woman’s rights.

=======

Thank you VP Pence, here comes Roevember.

“I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in here."

Lol.. Anyone who thought the Republicans were going to leave this as a 'states issue' were either liars or idiots..

I don't think the Republicans are serious about a nationwide ban. Bringing it up is just a method to rally their somewhat fragmented voter base.

=======

Yup, yet another reason to vote against these clowns.

Well, Pence and many other Republicans chant the Tenth Amendment but when they have federal muscle behind them, they don’t believe in the Tenth.
It's called campaigning. Pence is obviously considering a 2024 run. Getting such a law passed is not even close to likely. And even if it did, it would not be an outright ban, just restrictions. Why get worked up over it?
As for fundamental rights, there are rights that belong to the people, as per the Ninth Amendment.
And restriction free abortion is not one of them.
I don’t want states deciding that interracial marriage is illegal, as it was in 1967, before the SCOTUS ruled Virginia’s law unconstitutional.
Nor would I. However abortion is constitutionally left to the states.

Thank you VP Pence, here comes Roevember.

Could Graham and Pence be intentionally sabotaging the GOP to get rid of MAGA once and for all? I mean, it's doubtful, but I still wonder.

It's called campaigning. Pence is obviously considering a 2024 run. Getting such a law passed is not even close to likely. And even if it did, it would not be an outright ban, just restrictions. Why get worked up over it?

And restriction free abortion is not one of them.

Nor would I. However abortion is constitutionally left to the states.
For now

And if any GOP presidential candidate would campaign on that they would be soundly defeated.
But they would not openly do that because they know it is a losing proposition.

Could Graham and Pence be intentionally sabotaging the GOP to get rid of MAGA once and for all? I mean, it's doubtful, but I still wonder.
I would say no because they both willingly joined in and continue to support the general positions of maga.

I would say no because they both willingly joined in and continue to support the general positions of maga.

True, but the general positions of MAGA are essentially GOP positions, just with even more baggage.

=======

Show me how this quote says "national abortion ban"

“And I have every confidence that the next Republican president, whoever that may be, will stand for the right to life.”

Back
Top Bottom