• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pence returns from the GOP dead

justabubba

long standing member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
... Nearly a year after he was booed and jeered as a “traitor” at the Faith and Freedom Coalition conference in Orlando for his refusal to overturn the election results, Pence’s tightly scripted comeback ahead of a potential 2024 presidential bid is showing returns.

Since POLITICO reported on the Supreme Court’s draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade, Pence has moved to channel a newly simpatico GOP base. He is finding purposeful ways to contrast with Trump on issues ranging from highlighting his own decadeslong record of anti-abortion advocacy to calling for a muscular response to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. Next week, he’ll cross Trump by holding a rally with Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp on the eve of his GOP primary, a direct challenge to Trump’s endorsement of Kemp challenger David Perdue. ...

“The issue set feels like it could be coming to him a little bit because he’s good on the culture war stuff,” said David Kochel, a veteran Iowa Republican strategist who said he heard positive reviews of Pence’s April visit to the state. ...

“As we get into the sanctity of life issue and the potential of having Roe. v. Wade overturned, he has been a champion of life,” said Bob Vander Plaats, president and CEO of The Family Leader, a conservative Christian parent organization for the Iowa Family Policy Center. “It’s definitely in his comfort zone. If this becomes a big issue, a defining issue when it comes to 2024, that will be in his wheelhouse.” ...

Farther from home, Pence’s path to a potential 2024 GOP primary is still fraught and marked with potential obstacles. A March Morning Consult poll of 2024 GOP candidates found Pence with just 10 percent of support, trailing Trump — 54% — and DeSantis — 14 percent. ...

looks like mike pence benefitted from the premature supreme court roe v wade majority decision release. that 'pro-life' issue has been his since, well ... forever

that has given his candidacy new life [no pun intended]

does he have a chance? is he the centrist GQP candidate, a better alternative to de santis, if tRump fails to follow through on his 2024 run?

after 3 pages of a search for "pence" in this forum, a thread dedicated to pence was not found. does that indicate he is an after-thought with no real viability as a presidential prospect?

what are your thoughts

I think Pence is an okay fella but at this point, I don't believe he has a chance. Either against the whispers of Trump running or the real possibility of Desantis. If the state of the country and the world keep at this pace, Trump and Desantis will only gain more appeal.

looks like mike pence benefitted from the premature supreme court roe v wade majority decision release. that 'pro-life' issue has been his since, well ... forever

does he have a chance? is he the centrist GQP candidate, a better alternative to de santis, if tRump fails to follow through on his 2024 run?

after 3 pages of a search for "pence" in this forum, a thread dedicated to pence was not found. does that indicate he is an after-thought with no real viability as a presidential prospect?

what are your thoughts
He hasn't got a prayer.

what are your thoughts

He doesn't have much of a personality

It's going to take longer than he's got to wash the stink off him.

It's autobiography time, Mike.

I never thought Trump was going to win in 2016, so take my take for what it’s worth. I can’t see Pence with a political future. I never thought that people like MTG and Matt Gaetz would stay relevant for so long, either. Not to derail, but it seems tha Stefanik out of NY is now also rising.

🤷

After November is sorted out, thing may come into sharper focus.

He doesn't have much of a personality
i do get that
even though it's a color tv, he comes off in black & white on the screen

after tRump, and his constant efforts for media/public attention, having a low-key president has been refreshing. a president pence would continue that trend

independents elect presidents
biden won because he was not tRump

biden's only hope is that someone like desantis, who is either revered or despised, becomes his opponent, should he opt - as he now appears to - run for a second term
pence would offer him a challenger without all of the typical republican baggage

and if pence runs against a very weak candidate such as comma la, get used to saying 'president pence'

The Trump base wants to see angry, irrational, crazed people, with no interest in actual negotiation or compromise, or actually getting useful things done for the country, with hot new conspiracy theories, wild and outlandish stories exploiting sentiments of fear, rage, of being under siege, being persecuted, etc, etc....

Pence is just not that guy. He still has some reasonableness about him. He has about the charisma of wet toilet paper, with the stink of Trump still on him: so like wet, SOILED toilet paper. He has all the possible negatives and none of the positives. He is not going to appeal to the moderate Republicans NOR to the MAGA base. I would be very surprised if he ends up getting anywhere.

Last edited:

what are your thoughts
As far as any elected office is concerned, Pence has less chance than a snowball has in hell.

Regarding the rally in GA, the Republican Elites are well into their scheme to defeat the MAGA crowd...and their scheme will work. Kemp will be the nominee for Governor...with or without Pence helping him. So Pence being there is just one GOP Elite helping another GOP Elite.

i do get that
even though it's a color tv, he comes off in black & white on the screen

after tRump, and his constant efforts for media/public attention, having a low-key president has been refreshing. a president pence would continue that trend

independents elect presidents
biden won because he was not tRump

biden's only hope is that someone like desantis, who is either revered or despised, becomes his opponent, should he opt - as he now appears to - run for a second term
pence would offer him a challenger without all of the typical republican baggage

and if pence runs against a very weak candidate such as comma la, get used to saying 'president pence'

I'm not sure I see independents breaking for Pence unless he's got a really good campaign

He hasn't got a prayer.
Well I hope you are right, I do not think you are under potential circumstances.
If Pence winds up with the GQP nomination, the country will move away from Biden to elect pence

I'm not sure I see independents breaking for Pence unless he's got a really good campaign
He will be a shoe-in if the Democrats run another unelectable candidate, which is that party’s tendency

If the state of the country and the world keep at this pace, Trump and Desantis will only gain more appeal.
013r3ma.gif

I don't believe that VP Pence will pull off a presidential win, but if he were to spill some righteous beans 'live' before the 1/6 Committe, that could bump his chances higher.

Well I hope you are right, I do not think you are under potential circumstances.
If Pence winds up with the GQP nomination, the country will move away from Biden to elect pence
It'll never even get close to that.

Do you really believe Biden is running again?

He won't secure the GOP nomination. It's Trump's party, and the cultists won't reward Pence for his 2020 "betrayal."

Will be fun watching MTG call him a Nazi/commie on Twitter, I suppose.

Being from Indiana where he was governor I tell you a few things about him:

1. He's a religious whack job.
2. He's really not that bright.
3. He's less interesting than watching paint dry.
4. He would have lost his re-election to governor here as he was't really that popular even in his own party.

and furthermore JMO, but anyone that willingly hitches his wagon to sleazy Trump, and hangs on for four years has no principals in my book.

Back
Top Bottom