• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pence Booed/Lectured; Trump Demands Apology! Valid Free Expression?

Pence Booed/Lectured; Trump Demands Apology! Valid Free Expression?

• Total voters
Mike Pence wanted to use federal HIV money to fund Gay Conversion Therapy.

He signed a law to arrest any same sex couple in Indiana attempting to get a marriage license.

He routinely spoke out about "mainstreaming homosexuality".

He said that gay couples signaled "societal collapse".

He never apologized for any of the absolutely deplorable things he has said and done to the gay and lesbian community. He is just a bigot, that's all he is, and as a bigot he might as well get used to getting called out on it publicaly, becaues he deserves it.

Last edited:
I voted yes, it is free expression, but that being said, it's not for the actors on stage to embarrass members of the audience, noted exception for a comedian and a disruptive heckler.

Absolutely freedom of speech. If you don't like it ask for a refund and leave. They didn't ask him to come. He came into THEIR house. You reap what you sow.

I would ask does something like this cause more problems that it solves?
Based on the message I'd say if it does anything at all it helps but I doubt a very common act of an actor speaking after a show influences anybody that didn't already share his message.

The Vice President was going to a show. He was not delivering a administration policy or there in any official capacity. Just looking for a little down time. I believe he took his family to see and from what I have read about it is a wonderful show. So is this where we are going that everything is going political?
It was a political show and when you are a high level politician yes typically most things are political thats the way media, people and politicians made it and its been like that for a long times now. This too is nothign new. Fame as always had this counter part to it. ALso the EVP was leaving and chose to stay . . chose.
If the cast had concerns about the new administration there are many different way they could have voiced that concern. Write a letter and have all the cast members who agree sign it. They could have gone to the media with their concerns and spent some time explaining their views.
True and any of those ways could be judged too but this was a direct path, the best path probably to have the message heard by the person they want to hear it and there was nothing for sure wrong with it
But to call out someone at the actual show.........
Sorry that catch word makes me laugh everytime I hear it, that one along with ambushed and harassed, I can't take them seriously knowing how often stuff like this happens in general and with politicians. I understand it's usage but it just seems dramatic to me. Call outs I just think of things much more dramatic and forced and usually very harsh or mean not delivering a positive message.
Just switch Pence for Hillary or Obama. Would you have the same opinion if they were lectured?
HAHAHAH since I lean conservative of course I would, anybody that views this based on party lines is a complete idiot and whats wrong with the country today. The messages and how it was delivered (with respect) is what is important. It was a very positive message that we all should be on board with and we'd be better for it.

NO, it was completely RUDE to do both acts.

Social MANNERS is something few understand.

Mike Pence wanted to use federal HIV money to fund Gay Conversion Therapy.

He signed a law to arrest any same sex couple in Indiana attempting to get a marriage license.

He routinely spoke out about "mainstreaming homosexuality".

He said that gay couples signaled "societal collapse".

He never apologized for any of the absolutely deplorable things he has said and done to the gay and lesbian community. He is just a bigot, that's all he is, and as a bigot he might as well get used to getting called out on it publicaly, becaues he deserves it.

One man's bigot is another man's HERO.

Our society is in decline in their manners and politeness.

Their acts are indicative of this.

However, HOMOSEXUALITY has not contributed to the decline of anything.
In fact, in ancient times another person was your lover, and that was that. There was no home, hetero, pan, or metro sexual anything.

Your lover was your lover.

The simplicity is beautiful.

and Sodom & Gomorrah were NOT destroyed for their sexual practices.
There is more proof they were destroyed for their lack of hospitality to strangers.
In a world were weary travelers were welcomed in your abode or they might die, this was a major sin.
The manner in which you screw, or who your lover is, was no biggie.

We have not necessarily gotten any smarter over the mellinea(sp).

NO, it was completely RUDE to do both acts.

Social MANNERS is something few understand.

If something doesn't conform to your notion of "social manners" then it's therefore not valid free expression?

I would ask does something like this cause more problems that it solves? The Vice President was going to a show. He was not delivering a administration policy or there in any official capacity. Just looking for a little down time. I believe he took his family to see and from what I have read about it is a wonderful show. So is this where we are going that everything is going political?

If the cast had concerns about the new administration there are many different way they could have voiced that concern. Write a letter and have all the cast members who agree sign it. They could have gone to the media with their concerns and spent some time explaining their views. But to call out someone at the actual show......... Just switch Pence for Hillary or Obama. Would you have the same opinion if they were lectured?

Theatre has always been political.

Recently several articles were posted regarding attendance at a showing of "Hamilton" by VP-Elect Michael Pence, where Mr. Pence was booed by some members of the audience, and then addressed at the end of the play by a representative of the cast from the stage about their concerns. Mr. Pence waited politely for the presentation to complete, then left.

Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize

Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience | Daily Mail Online Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience.

Some members indicate they were offended by this situation, and/or feel an apology is necessary. Others ague justified action, in response to the current social situation.

IMO the actions of members of the audience were rude, crude, and socially unacceptable; while the action of the cast was opportunistically self-serving...but both actions were well-within the bounds of acceptable Freedom of Expression.

While it is true, as some argue, that a person goes to a play to relax from the worries of the day, hoping to immerse themselves in the fantasy of the entertainment; public figures are seldom granted such luxury. This is both advantage and a bane of fame.

Public figures are seldom accessible, and many people will take advantage of any opportunity to adore or revile, or as in this example...plead their case because a chance is there to be heard.

That is exactly what free expression is, seeking a chance to be heard whether the listener's agree with the message or not.

So I vote YES, it is a valid example of Free Expression. What say you?

Pence being booed and Trump demanding an apology were valid free expression. The lecture Pence got from actors is not valid free expression. By the way, not everyone booed Pence and he had some supporters as well.

Pence being booed and Trump demanding an apology were valid free expression. The lecture Pence got from actors is not valid free expression. By the way, not everyone booed Pence and he had some supporters as well.

Says friggin' who?

1. It wasn't a lecture.
2. What makes it "not valid free expression," other than it being directed at a Republican?

Was Rep. Joe Wilson heckling Obama during the State of the Union "valid free expression"?

The lecture Pence got from actors is not valid free expression.

Who made you the judge of what is and is not "valid free expression"?

LOL!

I'd laugh if I wasn't busy vomiting. You'll spend several years throwing every vile insult you can think of at Obama, going as far as to accuse him of lying about his religion and place of birth. You'll vote into office a guy whose insults everyone and everything, all of the time. Then you turn around and whine about how his VP was so horribly damaged by this:

“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us,” he said. He added that he hoped “this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.”

That sedate statement has conservatives self-righteously proclaiming the need for respect?

Disgusting.

Says friggin' who?

1. It wasn't a lecture.
2. What makes it "not valid free expression," other than it being directed at a Republican?

Was Rep. Joe Wilson heckling Obama during the State of the Union "valid free expression"?

1. I used the word lecture because the OP used the word lecture.

2. I was stating my opinion, just as you are stating your opinion now. I do have to point out, however, that as usual for a liberal, you want to stifle other's opinions while claiming the free speech mantle.

3. Joe Wilson was out of line. That was "deplorable", just as actors bullying someone in their audience who paid to see their play is deplorable.

2. I was stating my opinion, just as you are stating your opinion now. I do have to point out, however, that as usual for a liberal, you want to stifle other's opinions while claiming the free speech mantle.

3. Joe Wilson was out of line. That was "deplorable", just as actors bullying someone in their audience who paid to see their play is deplorable.

2. I do? Whose opinion am I attempting to stifle? Questioning someone's opinion is not an attempt to silence them.

3. "Bullying"? Seriously?

Who made you the judge of what is and is not "valid free expression"?

LOL!

I'd laugh if I wasn't busy vomiting. You'll spend several years throwing every vile insult you can think of at Obama, going as far as to accuse him of lying about his religion and place of birth. You'll vote into office a guy whose insults everyone and everything, all of the time. Then you turn around and whine about how his VP was so horribly damaged by this:

“We, sir — we — are the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us,” he said. He added that he hoped “this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and to work on behalf of all of us. All of us.”

That sedate statement has conservatives self-righteously proclaiming the need for respect?

Disgusting.

This is a friggin poll, asking people who voted other to explain. Who are you to judge me for my opinion while hypocritically defending people as having the right to free speech?

As Kobie is clearly stifling your first amendment rights I would strongly advise you to call your local chapter of the ACLU. I think you've got a strong case here.

Last edited:
As Kobie is clearly stifling your first amendment right to freedom of speech I would strongly advise you to call your local chapter of the ACLU. I think you've got a strong case here.

One of the few times I agree with you. I hate hypocrites!

One of the few times I agree with you. I hate hypocrites!

Challenging your opinion is clearly a violation of your freedom of speech.

Please see my signature for refutation of your utterly idiotic line of reasoning here.

We'll teach you how society works eventually, but it may take some time.

Some of us don't like or want your version of society, and we can and do give lessons in stubborn to Missouri mules.

What say you?

I wasn't there, so I can't say if it was in poor taste, but of course it's valid.
The owner of the venue decides what is acceptable on his property, not the public or the media.

They had the right to express their views, but it was in appropriate for the occasion.

Back
Top Bottom