• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pence Booed/Lectured; Trump Demands Apology! Valid Free Expression?

Pence Booed/Lectured; Trump Demands Apology! Valid Free Expression?

• Total voters
It was Rude, Crude and Socially unacceptable any place other than New York City!

Politics has no place at a Broadway Show! PERIOD!

I think you hit the nail right on the head straight away. I voted for Trump and Pence. That said this be a free country, and people are free to be stupid and or rude.

Stupid and rude? Now that's tak'in a page out of Donny boys book.

its sad you don't understand rights.

you dont have a right to harass people when they wish you see something they paid for.

but then you and many others jump on the rights band wagon when it suits your and then jump off of it when it does not.

its a pity most people cannot stay true to rights, and respect them all!

Where was the harassment?

It is worse than that, a whole lot of people have no interest in rights, they want what they want and the ends justify the means.

We'll teach you how society works eventually, but it may take some time.

We'll teach you how society works eventually, but it may take some time.

Why are you trashing me?

Did I do anything to you?...NO!

You are being uncivil.

I would appreciate it if you made an effort to act better.

If you can.

tyvm

Recently several articles were posted regarding attendance at a showing of "Hamilton" by VP-Elect Michael Pence, where Mr. Pence was booed by some members of the audience, and then addressed at the end of the play by a representative of the cast from the stage about their concerns. Mr. Pence waited politely for the presentation to complete, then left.

Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize

Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience | Daily Mail Online Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience.

Some members indicate they were offended by this situation, and/or feel an apology is necessary. Others ague justified action, in response to the current social situation.

IMO the actions of members of the audience were rude, crude, and socially unacceptable; while the action of the cast was opportunistically self-serving...but both actions were well-within the bounds of acceptable Freedom of Expression.

While it is true, as some argue, that a person goes to a play to relax from the worries of the day, hoping to immerse themselves in the fantasy of the entertainment; public figures are seldom granted such luxury. This is both advantage and a bane of fame.

Public figures are seldom accessible, and many people will take advantage of any opportunity to adore or revile, or as in this example...plead their case because a chance is there to be heard.

That is exactly what free expression is, seeking a chance to be heard whether the listener's agree with the message or not.

So I vote YES, it is a valid example of Free Expression. What say you?

The actors have freedom of expression to say what they said and conservatives have freedom of association to not watch Broadway plays. Trump also has the freedom of expression to call them losers.

Recently several articles were posted regarding attendance at a showing of "Hamilton" by VP-Elect Michael Pence, where Mr. Pence was booed by some members of the audience, and then addressed at the end of the play by a representative of the cast from the stage about their concerns. Mr. Pence waited politely for the presentation to complete, then left.

Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize Trump asks 'Hamilton' cast who 'harassed' Mike Pence to apologize

Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience | Daily Mail Online Hamilton cast address Mike Pence after he is booed by audience.

Some members indicate they were offended by this situation, and/or feel an apology is necessary. Others ague justified action, in response to the current social situation.

IMO the actions of members of the audience were rude, crude, and socially unacceptable; while the action of the cast was opportunistically self-serving...but both actions were well-within the bounds of acceptable Freedom of Expression.

While it is true, as some argue, that a person goes to a play to relax from the worries of the day, hoping to immerse themselves in the fantasy of the entertainment; public figures are seldom granted such luxury. This is both advantage and a bane of fame.

Public figures are seldom accessible, and many people will take advantage of any opportunity to adore or revile, or as in this example...plead their case because a chance is there to be heard.

That is exactly what free expression is, seeking a chance to be heard whether the listener's agree with the message or not.

So I vote YES, it is a valid example of Free Expression. What say you?

Yes its valid free speech/expression (I answered NO by mistake) and its common practice to talk after shows and have a speech or promote other shows or causes etc. There was zero harassment here since this was after the show and everybody was free to leave.

and when it comes to the speech and message watching this video from start to finish minus the sell's pitch for a good cause what the speaker said was actually VERY solid and we would be a better country if we all followed his words. Nice little speech, inspiring.

Are there people here that actually disagree with his message?

When the audience boos the speaker says:

"Vice President-elect Pence, I see you're walking out, but I hope you will hear just a few more minutes,"
“there’s nothing to boo here, ladies and gentlemen, we’re all sharing a story of love.”
We have a message for you sir and we hope you will hear us out . . .
"Vice President Elect Pence , We welcome you, and we truly thank you for joining us here at Hamilton: An American Musical—we really do,"
“We, sir — we — are - the diverse America who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents, or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights, sir. But we truly hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values, and work on behalf of all of us . . all of us""
"We truly thank you for sharing this show, this wonderful American story told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds and orientations. And we truly hope you heard our message sir because you are going to represent all of us"
"To that end ladies of gentlemen we also thank you for joingin us and in that message of solidarity and truth and standin with your fellow man in every and any circumstances no matter our differences we are asking you to joing with us to help support an organization . . . . .

Seems like a good speech to me and respectful with the thanks giving, proper titles being used and extra sirs.

They had the right to speak their minds. With that said, it was petty, arrogant, and condescending and will ultimately hurt the ticket sales of "Hamilton" more than it will hurt Pence, who probably assumed that he would at least get a few boos before attending.

Can you be more specific, what was so petty arrogant, and condescending?
Do you disagree with the message that we should all stand together and respect our differences when others speak?

I think they have the right to do so... but if Pence paid for a ticket and they turned a service he paid for into a singling out lecture that's unprofessional, and in my opinion they need to refund his money.

The show was over, he was free to leave, he actually chose to stay and listen. No refund is needed.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Ask for a refund and leave. Good thing Donny boy wasn't there. One of his posse would have yelled...gun...and the guy talk'in would have been beat. NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Understand rights and we can talk

Can you be more specific, what was so petty arrogant, and condescending?
Do you disagree with the message that we should all stand together and respect our differences when others speak?

Claiming that they're "alarmed and anxious" about what Trump/Pence will do is inflammatory, condescending, and not the least bit conciliatory or productive.

It was Rude, Crude and Socially unacceptable any place other than New York City!

Politics has no place at a Broadway Show! PERIOD!

Please watch the video because you obviously have not and speeches like this and other topics are common places after shows, the very show itself was political by the way.
After you watch the video please be specific and point out whar was crude and rude, thank you.

Claiming that they're "alarmed and anxious" about what Trump/Pence will do is inflammatory, condescending, and not the least bit conciliatory or productive.

Why is it inflammatory and condescending and not productive when he was properly addressed with respect and flat out told that they hope he was inspired and that he is the EVP and will be representing us all? Seems odd, seems like you are interjecting a lot that wasn't actually there. Especially if you watch the whole video he told people not to boo because there is nothing to boo and that we should all respect each other and our differences.

Also I asked what was petty and arrogant?

and I also asked you if disagree with the message that we should all stand together and respect our differences when others speak?

Why is it inflammatory and condescending and not productive when he was properly addressed with respect and flat out told that they hope he was inspired and that he is the EVP and will be representing us all? Seems odd, seems like you are interjecting a lot that wasn't actually there. Especially if you watch the whole video he told people not to boo because there is nothing to boo and that we should all respect each other and our differences.

Also I asked what was petty and arrogant?

and I also asked you if disagree with the message that we should all stand together and respect our differences when others speak?

I told you what was petty and arrogant and whether or not we should all stand together is not the point. You don't say you're "alarmed and anxious" about anyone you're hoping to have a productive and conciliatory dialogue with.

Btw, what do you think they're "alarmed and anxious" about?

I told you what was petty and arrogant and whether or not we should all stand together is not the point. You don't say you're "alarmed and anxious" about anyone you're hoping to have a productive and conciliatory dialogue with.

Oh but of course, but they dont know how to do that sort of thing so many liberal elitists, never needed to learn as we have for way too long allowed them to get by on Bullying as the only tool needed for them to be successful in imposing their will upon us.

THem days are over, but apparently this reality has yet to enter the head space of many.

I told you what was petty and arrogant and whether or not we should all stand together is not the point.
Actually you didn't you replied with "inflammatory, condescending, and not the least bit conciliatory or productive." I'm asking you specifically what parts of the speech.
ALso whether we should stand together is the point, it was their point and the point of the speech so its very relevant.

You don't say you're "alarmed and anxious" about anyone you're hoping to have a productive and conciliatory dialogue with.
HAHA really? so they should lie? What if that's how they actually feel? I was alarmed about Pence as VP and he plays for my team. What terms should they have used that would magically be different? Again it seems you are simply interjecting your own feelings in to it, WHICH IS FINE, but it was looking for something more substantial. You are free to have your opinions but I was looking for something that actually happened that maybe I missed.

Probably exactly what they said, probably similar to what I was alarmed about and the same things that tens of millions of americans are alarmed about every elections. That the person elected won't represent them or interest, rights and freedom of the country. It's the most common feeling among people I'd guess. Now you can disagree with those feelings but we all have them and agreeing on them doesn't matter . . hence the speech again.

When did Trump supporters become such PC, thin skinned, special little snowflakes?

Oh yeah. Tuesday.

Please watch the video because you obviously have not and speeches like this and other topics are common places after shows, the very show itself was political by the way.
After you watch the video please be specific and point out whar was crude and rude, thank you.

What was done was not common place. Pence went to see a show. The show is about political history.
They should have taken their final bow and kept quiet.

What was done was not common place. Pence went to see a show. The show is about political history.
They should have taken their final bow and kept quiet.

Actually it is, just about every show I have ever been to there's been speeches or promotions at the end. In fact I can't recall there not being one when the premise of the show itself is about politics or positive unity messages. It's been like this for years and years In my general 3/4 state area and the one time I saw a show in chicago, speeches and or promotions were given :shrug: You are free to feel they should keep quite though bt they don't and never really have, this is nothign new. The only sotra unique element was there was an EVP present.

Actually it is, just about every show I have ever been to there's been speeches or promotions at the end. In fact I can't recall there not being one when the premise of the show itself is about politics or positive unity messages. It's been like this for years and years In my general 3/4 state area and the one time I saw a show in chicago, speeches and or promotions were given :shrug: You are free to feel they should keep quite though bt they don't and never really have, this is nothign new. The only sotra unique element was there was an EVP present.

I would ask does something like this cause more problems that it solves? The Vice President was going to a show. He was not delivering a administration policy or there in any official capacity. Just looking for a little down time. I believe he took his family to see and from what I have read about it is a wonderful show. So is this where we are going that everything is going political?

If the cast had concerns about the new administration there are many different way they could have voiced that concern. Write a letter and have all the cast members who agree sign it. They could have gone to the media with their concerns and spent some time explaining their views. But to call out someone at the actual show......... Just switch Pence for Hillary or Obama. Would you have the same opinion if they were lectured?

Back
Top Bottom