• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pelosi's 1st Set back

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,229819,00.html

Hoyer Wins House Majority Leader Race, Giving Pelosi First Setback

"I thank him for his courage in stepping forward one year ago to speak truth to power. He changed the debate in this country in a way that I think gave us this majority in this November," Pelosi said of Murtha. "I was proud to support him for majority leader, because I thought that would be the best way to bring an end to the war in Iraq. I know that he will continue to take the lead on that issue for our caucus, for this Congress, for our country."

Well, Pelosi experiences her 1st set back/loss as Speaker of the House, and better still was that it was at the hands of her own party! :doh

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/16/AR2006111600659.html
QUESTION: Nearly 60 percent of House Democrats defied your call to vote for John Murtha. In retrospect, what does that say about the wisdom of that endorsement and your clout within the Democratic Party?

PELOSI: I stand very, very proudly behind my endorsement of Mr. Murtha. As I said in my letter to members on Sunday -- that's the only time I weighed in publicly, and I have tried to help Mr. Murtha since then -- as I said in that letter, I believe the biggest ethical challenge facing our country is the war in Iraq. For all the reasons that you know, that you don't need me to go into, it must be stopped.

What about the Panel/Committee put together to come up with other options for Iraq? What about all the on-going and recent investigations into how best to go forward? Were they all just for show until the Dems could regain power?

http://politics.wizbangblog.com/2006/11/13/did-we-say-no-cut-and-run-we-lied.php
Say, remember way back in the 2006 midterm election campaign? The Democrats won a good number of Republican-held seats in the House and Senate. One thing their winning candidates had in common was an absolute refusal to endorse a "cut and run" policy on Iraq or a "specific timetable" for withdrawing troops. Most specifically rejected those approaches out of hand - Patrick Murphy, the Iraq War veteran who unseated Mike Fitzgerald in Pennsylvania, refused to say how he would have voted on the 2002 Iraq War Resolution even if we knew no WMDs would be recovered.

The Democrats, like Pelosi and Murtha, who loudly voiced their complaint in the weeks leading up to the recent elections that the GOP was unfairly branding their leadership as 'Cut-N-Run' Democrats are now proving that the accusations coming from the GOP were DEAD ON THE MARK!

Although it was the Blue-Dog Conservative Democrats who won back power for the DNC, Pelosi and other Ubre Liberals are trying to force them to take a backseat and be quiet. Pelosi, however, asuffered her 1st defeat at the hands of those same new Democrats who sent HER a message loud and clear - we reject your stance, we reject jack Murtha, and we are NOT going to go sit in the back of the bus and allow the Dems who caused the DNC to lose power in the 1st place have a second chance for a repeat performance!

They do face a big challenge, though:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-11-09-dems-iraq_x.htm

Democrats who will soon hold top foreign policy positions in Congress say they will use their new power to discuss future options in Iraq — as well as to investigate what they regard as administration mistakes in handling the war.

Rep. Tom Lantos of California, who will chair the House International Relations Committee, said in an interview that the panel will be "forward-looking, with a 'where to do we go from here?' approach."

Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., who will chair the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, also predicted "a bipartisan way forward." He has proposed a new Iraq strategy that would withdraw 110,000 of the 140,000 U.S. troops in Iraq and grant major power to the country's ethnic regions.

"Why did the secretary of Defense go into Iraq with inadequate forces and body armor and Humvees?" Murtha asked in an interview a few days before the elections.
[-- Why doesn’t he ask Kerry, who voted against money for that armor?!]
:rofl

easyt65 said:
Well, Pelosi experiences her 1st set back/loss as Speaker of the House, and better still was that it was at the hands of her own party! :doh

Well I can relate, I was passed over twice this year for a sub-managerial position despite my 12 years of experience with my company and the department I'm in. Oh well, shiznat happens.

What about the Panel/Committee put together to come up with other options for Iraq? What about all the on-going and recent investigations into how best to go forward? Were they all just for show until the Dems could regain power?

Well I was under the impression that they don't take power until 2007.

The Democrats, like Pelosi and Murtha, who loudly voiced their complaint in the weeks leading up to the recent elections that the GOP was unfairly branding their leadership as 'Cut-N-Run' Democrats are now proving that the accusations coming from the GOP were DEAD ON THE MARK!

Although it was the Blue-Dog Conservative Democrats who won back power for the DNC, Pelosi and other Ubre Liberals are trying to force them to take a backseat and be quiet. Pelosi, however, asuffered her 1st defeat at the hands of those same new Democrats who sent HER a message loud and clear - we reject your stance, we reject jack Murtha, and we are NOT going to go sit in the back of the bus and allow the Dems who caused the DNC to lose power in the 1st place have a second chance for a repeat performance!

Ummmm again 2007.

They do, agreed.

easyt65 said:

That is one thing I like about the Dems. They tend less to be lap dogs and go with the party line and instead vote independently what they think is best.

Iriemon said:
That is one thing I like about the Dems. They tend less to be lap dogs and go with the party line and instead vote independently what they think is best.

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

It's funny that this story gets more play than Trent Lott's return.

Dems don't anoint a candidate and force everyone else to fall in line behind that candidate. Dems can disagree and have a healthy debate, but when all is said and done, they get together and support the winner.The Dems chose Moyer over Murtha.

What's next?

What is funny about this is that the Dems like Pelosi, Murtha, and Kerry have been cpmplaining about is that they have been 'wrongly' branded the 'cut-n-run' party and 'wrongly' accused of having only 1 plan for Iraq - 'cut-n-run'.

Yet, Pelosi pushes her entire support for the j@ck@ss who has slandered our troops and whose sole objective for this war is to get us out of Iraq no matter what ASAP! Even Pelosi, in the press conference announcing Hoyer's election, lamented about not getting Murtha and how she wanted an Immediate pull-out ('cut-n-run') of Iraq! So, the GOP was NOT wrong about branding her a 'cut-n-run' politician and were NOT wrong about her only plan being to pull troops out ASAP no matter what!

Another funny thing is that Pelosi is SEETHING today over the fact that the Dems embarassed her, handing her the 1st loss of her 'reign', by NOT voting the DNC Leaders' way/voting the party line! It is funny how the onlyreason she is speaker of the House now is because the Blue Dog conservative Democrats were the ones who reclaimed the power in Washington but yet it is the rejected rabid left wing liberal leaders, who have managed to hang around after being the reason the DNC lost power in the 1st place, are now stepping to the forefront to claim the leadership roles WHILE demanding that these new Blue Dog Democrats take a seat in the back of the bus! As I said, Pelosi got unexpectedly slapped by these new Dems who sent her a clear message - we don't agree with the 'same ol/same ol' and will not blindly follow your @$$ anymore!

I also think that is AWESOME! While you guys make it sound like thinking independently is NOT something new, it most certainly IS! Towing the party line and swinging to the far left, soending like a drunken sailor, and committing crimes and violations (which is what sunk the GOP this time) is what lost the Dems the power years ago. The Dems who handed Pelosi, who tried to lead them down that road again with Murtha, her 1st defeat let her know that they aren't necessarily going to follow her and the other Uber Liberal leaders blindly anymore!

Any what is with the Trent Lott remark? You actually believe that Trent Lott showing back up is more of a story than Murtha being rejected and Pelosi getting her 1st defeat...at the hands of her own party? (If so, start a different thread.) THIS story has SO much to it, though: Murtha - ABSCAM vet, American Soldier insulter, Cut-N-Run proponent; Pelosi backing Murtha instead of the 2nd-in-line, who she just happens to hate and have such a feud with, making this such a personal fight, openly declaring/showing her hand that her plan for Iraq is nothing BUT cutting and running; a shift in power/philosophy withinthe Democratic Party, as shown by the Blue Dog Democrats rjecting Pelosi's 1st attempt to lead as Speaker of the House-to-be ......

This is a GREAT story that has so many sub-plots....versus 'Hey everybody - Trent lott's back.' :rofl

Hey Pelosi, get ready for #2!

Looks like Pelosi better get ready for #2:

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/11/17/100658.shtml?s=lh

Blue Dog Democrats Want Harman for Intel Chair

Eighteen members of the Blue Dog Coalition, a group of conservative House Democrats, have written to House Speaker-to-be Nancy Pelosi urging her to select Jane Harman to chair the House Intelligence Committee next year.

Harman currently serves as the top Democrat on the panel, but fellow Californian Pelosi has strongly suggested she will choose another member as chair, according to the influential Washington-based publication The Hill.

Some progressives in the Democratic Party, including Pelosi, reportedly feel that Harman has been too accommodating to President Bush. As NewsMax reported earlier, Pelosi was leaning toward selecting Alcee Hasting of Florida for the post.

On Wednesday, the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) voted to endorse Hastings for the position.

The selection of Hastings for the sensitive chairman job would be sure to draw GOP fire, since as a federal judge Hastings was impeached and convicted 18 years ago on charges of extortion, perjury and falsifying documents. The move would also raise the ire of the 44-member Blue Dog Coalition.
-- 1st Pelosi backs ABSCAM-plagued Murtha, who has also taken heat for his attacks against the military, and NOW Pelosi intends to select Hastings, an IMPEACHED Judge CONVICTED of extortion, perjury, & Falsifying documents?! :shock: (Well, it isn't like Hastings stole and shredded classified Federal documents! :shock: :rofl But seriously, the DNC may have just found a PERFECT 2008 Presidential candidate - Hastings has all the qualifications! :rofl )

Looks like the Blue Dogs are gonna hand Pelosi her 2nd Loss!

Iriemon said:

:rofl that's hilarious, yeah like they have in the last 6 years.

The FUNNIEST part of this whole thing, though, is that Pelosi Promised - SWORE - to run the 'cleanest congress in history'! That, coming from the woman who was recently named the un-official 'ethics violations' winner of '06 for taking more lobbyist-funded trips than anyone in Washington, was a bad enough start, but she followed it up with THESE latest hypocritical (and extremely telling) gaffes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/17/o...&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss&pagewanted=print

But Ms. Pelosi’s damage to herself was already done. The well-known shortcomings of Mr. Murtha were broadcast for all to see — from his quid-pro-quo addiction to moneyed lobbyists to the grainy government tape of his involvement in the Abscam scandal a generation ago. The resurrected tape — feasted upon by Pelosi enemies — shows how Mr. Murtha narrowly survived as an unindicted co-conspirator, admittedly tempted but finally rebuffing a bribe offer: “I’m not interested — at this point.”

Mr. Murtha would have been a farcical presence in a leadership promising the cleanest Congress in history. Ms. Pelosi should have been first to realize this, having made such a fiery campaign sword of her vows to end Capitol corruption. Instead, she acted like some old-time precinct boss and lost the first test before her peers.

It was a no-brainer for the caucus to end the misguided fight for Mr. Murtha, who belittled the need for reform. Now the pressure is even greater for Speaker-elect Pelosi to recover by leading the House to something actually worth fighting for — starting with credible anticorruption strictures.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...658.shtml?s=lh
....fellow Californian Pelosi has strongly suggested she will choose another member as chair, according to the influential Washington-based publication The Hill....Pelosi was leaning toward selecting Alcee Hasting of Florida for the post. .... The selection of Hastings for the sensitive chairman job would be sure to draw GOP fire, since as a federal judge Hastings was impeached and convicted 18 years ago on charges of extortion, perjury and falsifying documents. The move would also raise the ire of the 44-member Blue Dog Coalition.

So much for starting off on the right foot and running the cleanest Congress in history! :rofl

easyt65 said:

Yeah...it's just terrible to see Democracy work isn't it....even worse when Power isn't consolidated, and the leadership bows to the peoples voice.

Yup...they certainly should have done in two weeks....what everyone else couldnt do in two years....freakin' bastards and their inability to perform miracles.

If indeed you posted this in a year....you might have a point, but as it is you may want to allow them to actually....you know...take office.....and go into session.

If you mean attempting to repair an extremely damaged, and failing policy....you have a valid point.

Easy65- "Those damn Democrats arent doing anything to fix the problems my guys made.....they suck."

Stinger said:
:rofl that's hilarious, yeah like they have in the last 6 years.

They sure did. Many voted for tax cuts, the Drug Company Profit Enhancement act, the Patriot act, and authorizing Bush to use force.

tecoyah said:
Easy65 (according to Tecoyah)- "Those damn Democrats arent doing anything to fix the problems my guys made.....they suck."

Hey Tecoyah, don't get so defensive. I was just pointing out that little Ms. Most-trips-paid-for-by-Lobbyist SWORE she would run the cleanest congress in U.S. History, yet - as you guys so generously pointed out, before she has even assumed control she has already attempted to elevate to the highest positions of power:

1. Murtha: ....from his quid-pro-quo addiction to moneyed lobbyists to the grainy government tape of his involvement in the Abscam scandal a generation ago. The resurrected tape — feasted upon by Pelosi enemies — shows how Mr. Murtha narrowly survived as an unindicted co-conspirator, admittedly tempted but finally rebuffing a bribe offer: “I’m not interested — at this point.” Not to mention his attacks on our troops and rabid desire to cut-n-run.

AND

2. Alcee Hasting: As a federal judge, Hastings was impeached and convicted 18 years ago on charges of extortion, perjury, and falsifying documents.

I'm just waiting for Pelosi to nominate one of the Dems who actually had sex with under-aged pages years ago for a position of something like Federal Oversight of Catholic Priests! :rofl That seems to be about the only thing missing from her list of people to appoint.

Give the GOP some credit - at least they WAITED until they were in office to turn into criminals. The Dems haven't even gotten official control yet, the words, 'I promise to run the cleanest congress in U.S. history' off Pelosi's own lips good yet, and here she is nominating nothing BUT scandal-plagued politicians and convicted perjorers, extortionists, forgers, etc...

So don't get mad at ME because of what Pelosi is doing! I just pointed it out! (Thank YOU guys again for pointing out that she is also doing all of it without even officially taking over yet.)

Last edited:
I love how details keep coming out -- we now know that even Pelosi voted for this guy's Impeachment....yet NOW she WANTS this criminal for the Inetl. position?! :shock: :rofl

OK, the Dems haven't even taken control yet, and they are already IMPLODING!

Dems, including Pelosi, said they would seek Impeachment once in Office, but Pelosi flip-flopped on that one & has said 'No way' now.

Dems, including Pelosi, said they would seek a hike in the minimum wage once in Office, but Pelosi flip-flopped on that one & has said 'No way' now.

A Dem has called for a Draft once they are in office, but Pelosi has shut that down.

Dems BRAGGED about eliminating the tax cuts once in power, and now Pelosi is saying she doesn't want to do that!

The Democrats called for a change all during this last election, and yet the only attempt at change we see the Democrats, ESPECIALLY PELOSI, attempting to make so fr is to make Washington look like the Who's-Who from the nation's 'best' prisons by backing star's of FBI films, saying they won't take a bribe NOW but would in the future, and Impeached/sentenced perjorers, embezzlers, and forgers! :rofl

The sad thing is, if this is what we are getting so far and they haven't even taken over yet, I don't even want to think about what happens when they DO take over.

The good thing is that if we are getting THIS much comedic material from them and they haven't even taken over yet, imagine the 'yuks' we are going to be getting once they DO take over.

BTW, someone needs to tell Kerry that if he wants to learn how to deliver a joke, he should learn from a master by watching Pelosi's decisions/moves so far! :rofl

Back
Top Bottom