• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi urges Biden not to debate Trump

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
As President Donald Trump prepares to deliver remarks accepting the GOP nomination Thursday night, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she believes Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden should not participate in any debates against the president this fall.

I myself -- just don't tell anybody who told you this, especially don't tell Joe Biden: I don't think that there should be any debates," Pelosi, D-Calif., volunteered during a news conference with reporters at the Capitol Thursday morning. "I do not think that the president of the United States has comported himself in a way that anybody should [and] has any association with truth, evidence, data and facts."

I don't see any point to debates, really.

Everyone's already decided who they're voting for, and Trump just screams over his opponents. It's useless and annoying.

Everyone's already decided who they're voting for, and Trump just screams over his opponents. It's useless and annoying.

I have to agree it's practically moot.

However I think Pelosi is wrong. She's arguing that Trump won't hold a sensible debate like a respectable adult. That it would be undignifying to go through the same show that Clinton did last time. Yes, but it will also highlight that after 4 years he hasn't changed and hasn't done anything new.

Trump never 'beat' Clinton in the debates - even if his supporters think calling someone 'nasty' is 'winning. With Biden he'll have to bring his A-game and he doesn't have one. All he has is the same old schtick.

Do you feel that Biden has fully elucidated and defended his platform and vision for 4 years?

I have to agree it's practically moot.

However I think Pelosi is wrong. She's arguing that Trump won't hold a sensible debate like a respectable adult. That it would be undignifying to go through the same show that Clinton did last time. Yes, but it will also highlight that after 4 years he hasn't changed and hasn't done anything new.

Trump never 'beat' Clinton in the debates - even if his supporters think calling someone 'nasty' is 'winning. With Biden he'll have to bring his A-game and he doesn't have one. All he has is the same old schtick.
It should be easy for Joe to argue against some of the issues Trump has acted on.

That would include the elimination of ISIS, the fixing of the VA, the border wall, the cutting of red tape, the renegotiation of NAFTA. the restructuring of NATO, moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem, his going up against China and North Korea, and several other issues Joe can point to as serious administrative flaws and errors.

Of course maybe Joe hasn't got a good argument against any of these Presidential initiatives.

Televised live debates do matter and have since the Nixon - Kennedy debate. In that debate people who heard it on the radio mostly tended to believe Nixon won, and those who saw it on Television believed JFK won.

What Pelosi is afraid of, and should be afraid of, are the Independent voters who might be swayed either way, and who will in all likelihood matter in the swing states, where Biden could either defeat Trump, or lose to him.

The DNC did NOT want Joe Biden, but only a little less than they didn't want Sanders. Dems can't win on substance, and can't win on the message of hope and change. They had that chance, but now all they have left is hoping people buy the fear hype and vote in desperation. In the polls they are losing on that too.

Joe is an awesome debater, and his genius needs to be heard more than ever before the election by so many who do not know if they are black enough to vote for him .
Joe Knows !
Joe.jpg

Joe is an awesome debater, and his genius needs to be heard more than ever before the election by so many who do not know if they are black enough to vote for him. Joe Knows !
Joe was a dreadful debater six months ago. Marginal competence was the best he managed and rarely that. If Kamala Harris can hand him his head, there's a lot of vulnerability.

Televised live debates do matter and have since the Nixon - Kennedy debate. In that debate people who heard it on the radio mostly tended to believe Nixon won, and those who saw it on Television believed JFK won.

What Pelosi is afraid of, and should be afraid of, are the Independent voters who might be swayed either way, and who will in all likelihood matter in the swing states, where Biden could either defeat Trump, or lose to him.

The DNC did NOT want Joe Biden, but only a little less than they didn't want Sanders. Dems can't win on substance, and can't win on the message of hope and change. They had that chance, but now all they have left is hoping people buy the fear hype and vote in desperation. In the polls they are losing on that too.

All 10 "independent" voters?

As President Donald Trump prepares to deliver remarks accepting the GOP nomination Thursday night, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she believes Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden should not participate in any debates against the president this fall.

I myself -- just don't tell anybody who told you this, especially don't tell Joe Biden: I don't think that there should be any debates," Pelosi, D-Calif., volunteered during a news conference with reporters at the Capitol Thursday morning. "I do not think that the president of the United States has comported himself in a way that anybody should [and] has any association with truth, evidence, data and facts."

Do you think Biden won't debate Trump?

Like I said in one of the other six hundred threads on this topic, what Pelosi said was a perfect example of an argument in which all the points were correct but the conclusion was not.

Everything she said was undeniably correct, but it's politically damaging to not debate Trump (not that that was ever a danger, but still), and there is an upside to showcasing the differences in character between the two candidates. If the debate is a comparison of the individuals' character and not "trump is evil"....which we all ****ing know already...then Biden wins.

Do you think Biden won't debate Trump?

Of course they "think" that; only a professionan deprogrammer could break the spell.

They think what they're told to.

Of course they "think" that; only a professionan deprogrammer could break the spell.

It's the result of living in a right wing echo chamber.

The pressure is building for Joe not to debate and he is already making excuses.

Earlier Thursday, Biden told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell he intends to debate Trump, but that “very competent people” have urged him not to do so without a fact-checker on stage.

“I’ve been recommended to me by a number of very competent people who know their way around, including leading Republicans, that I shouldn’t debate Trump unless there’s a fact-checker on the ground … saying ‘That’s true,’ ‘That’s not true.’ But look, I think everybody knows this man has a somewhat pathological tendency not to tell the truth,” Biden said

Joe Biden: People say to debate Trump with a fact checker

Ironically Biden also said during the same friendly interview, "“These guys are rooting for violence, that’s what this is all about.”

“He continues to root for violence. The country will be substantially safer when he is no longer in office.”

The pressure is building for Joe not to debate and he is already making excuses.

Earlier Thursday, Biden told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell he intends to debate Trump, but that “very competent people” have urged him not to do so without a fact-checker on stage.

“I’ve been recommended to me by a number of very competent people who know their way around, including leading Republicans, that I shouldn’t debate Trump unless there’s a fact-checker on the ground … saying ‘That’s true,’ ‘That’s not true.’ But look, I think everybody knows this man has a somewhat pathological tendency not to tell the truth,” Biden said

Ironically Biden also said during the same friendly interview, "“These guys are rooting for violence, that’s what this is all about.”

“He continues to root for violence. The country will be substantially safer when he is no longer in office.”

Pure horse ****.

Joe can gaffe 20 times and still make Trump® look the fool every rational human on earrth knows he is....

oh the irony of this comment after the last four nights of the turd fest that the RNC convention was.

Christ, they literally put together a garbage platform for Trump that's basically the same as four years ago.

He's correct in this assertion. Trump most certainly is rooting for violence, because he's hoping the riots scare enough white voters in the right states to narrowly give him the election.

He's correct in this assertion. Trump most certainly is rooting for violence, because he's hoping the riots scare enough white voters in the right states to narrowly give him the election.
So the rioters are assuring Trump of reelection. Joe should have come out against it three months ago then.

Of course the rioters who are unpaid are just as clueless as Joe. They're destroying small businesses and building up big corporations. Very stupid people.

So the rioters are assuring Trump of reelection. Joe should have come out against it three months ago then.

not at all actually, but there's no doubt Trump and his minions believe this.

Of course the rioters who are unpaid are just as clueless as Joe. They're destroying small businesses and building up big corporations. Very stupid people.

Considering that a significant portion of the rioters are right wing provocateurs, you are correct.

"Dems can't win on substance, and can't win on the message of hope and change. They had that chance, but now all they have left is hoping people buy the fear hype and vote in desperation. In the polls they are losing on that too."
With all due respect: "They had that chance" Come on, Moscow Mitch blocked just about every-single-thing that they tried to do.
Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senate Republicans have turned the Senate into a legislative graveyard, refusing to take action on critical legislation that already has bipartisan support. More than 250 House-passed bills are buried in Leader McConnell’s legislative graveyard, and that number continues to grow.
I don't blame the Republicans (as a whole) but Mitch is ..in polite words, an asshole and a prick.

not at all actually, but there's no doubt Trump and his minions believe this.

Considering that a significant portion of the rioters are right wing provocateurs, you are correct.
You make an assertion in post 18 and contradict yourself two posts later. . That ties the record with 112 other leftists.

You feel those rioters are Trump supporters, huh? Maybe you put that question to them at their next riot.

You make an assertion in post 18 and contradict yourself two posts later. . That ties the record with 112 other leftists.

You feel those rioters are Trump supporters, huh? Maybe you put that question to them at their next riot.

How did I contradict myself?

And I said some of them are, which has been proven actually.

Here is what’s weird. Trump calls for a drug test and then about a day later Pelosi says don’t debate him.

Hmm....

So people will be able to see that and thus get a better idea of how Presidential and competant, with a strong command of the facts, that your preferd President will be.

Back
Top Bottom