• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi trying to keep POTUS from his people

I think it's very wrong of Pelosi to try and keep the POTUS from speaking to his public. It's petty and childish. She's trying to rob him of tradition and the decorum afforded to the POTUS at that time.

She refuses to negotiate (trying to travel instead until Trump said no). She abandons her dreamers. What's wrong with her? Is she just so full of hate that sticking it to Trump because she's mad about the election, is more important than her immigrants? What exactly does she want from these negotiations? She is shameful, selfish and greedy. Your thoughts?

Nancy Pelosi is the acting like a true President.

Trump can speak to the people any time he wants - he can call a press conference or even a "fireside chat"...he can organize a rally with Fox News TV cameras lapping up every half truth and misinformation he utters.

What Trump CAN'T do is ride roughshod over democracy and the US Congress. No president can.

I think it's very wrong of Pelosi to try and keep the POTUS from speaking to his public. It's petty and childish. She's trying to rob him of tradition and the decorum afforded to the POTUS at that time.

She refuses to negotiate (trying to travel instead until Trump said no). She abandons her dreamers. What's wrong with her? Is she just so full of hate that sticking it to Trump because she's mad about the election, is more important than her immigrants? What exactly does she want from these negotiations? She is shameful, selfish and greedy. Your thoughts?

Did you think Pelosi was just going to roll over submit to the great orange bully? Let him give his sprew in a church basement or under a gutter grate. Dreamers are already safe for at least a year, probably more. Pelosi wants a permanent fix for Dreamers. Not the Republicans just kicking the can down the road.

POTUS can entertain "the People" anytime he gives up on his tantrum over the wall and compromises with Democrats to re-open the govt.

No one is stopping him...he can change it anytime.

So...dont you think he should own up to his own admission:

“I am proud to shut down the government for border security. … I will take the mantle,” Trump said. “I will be the one to shut it down.”

What a load.......

Donny is finding out what life is like when someone stands up to him.

Well, it is making Trump "look good" to his base. They love it! But it won't help him get re-elected from outside his base.

McConnel has no choice but to follow Trump, in my opinion. There is no "Republican Party" anymore - as we speak - but only the "Party of Trump". And Trump & his voters want a shutdown! It's that simple.

(and sorry to have to speak so bluntly about the party you love(d), but it is what it is - at least for now)

Except Trump won't win re-election just on his base alone. Even if the Dems were dumb enough to run Hillary Clinton again, he'd lose. He needs independents and moderates and casual political watchers, and he's losing them every day. The Dems are now stronger than ever, rallying around Pelosi.

McConnell probably won't lose his re-election bid. But it wouldn't surprise me if he bails on the GOP and Trump, like Paul Ryan did.

The GOP no longer exists as those of us who supported it remember. It's the Covfefe party of Trump now, and they are welcome to it.

Constitution is a bitch!

if you worry about trump and his people! Those none paid few hundreds that are left then he can always give his speech from oval office...no harm but still very very foul!

Diving Mullah

He can speak anywhere he wants just not in front of congress. So get over your rant.

Pelosi's action weakens the House Of Representatives.

I think Dems are starting to break ranks. They are now the party that disinvited a sitting President and refused to allow him in Chambers. It's unprecedented and it's a shameful black mark in history. All courtesy of a very vengeful, angry woman, Pelosi.
She hates Trump and it's consumed her. It's personal. Way too personal.

I'm not clear here. Do you mean asking to postpone the SOTU? I thought it was a totally reasonable move. She isn't telling him not to have it, she's telling him that presenting it in the chambers of congress sends the wrong message of government working together.

Well technically, she's saying security costs too much, but we know what she means.

The constitution doesn't say she has to invite him and nothing says SOTU has to be given in any specific place. In fact, SOTU could be a matter of the President standing up and giving a thumbs down and walking away. All the constitution says is that from time to time he will share with the people information regarding the SOTU.

She's hardly keeping him from the public eye.

I'm no fan of Pelosi and hold dems responsible for a fair amount of this shut down. However, I have trouble pinning this one on her.

Pelosi has every right to request the delay. However, I think she's getting way too personal when she tells the President he's not welcome and she will not allow him. I think the President should decide where and when.
Pelosi is abusing her position and hurting Democrats in the process. They are now the party that refused a President giving his SOTU to the American people. Going it without Pelosi and the Dems makes them look terrible, imo.

It didn't dawn on me the way it usually jumps out...but I noticed you say his public as if anyone disagreeing with the president doesn't exist. Nice.

Pelosi has every right to request the delay. However, I think she's getting way too personal when she tells the President he's not welcome and she will not allow him. I think the President should decide where and when.
Pelosi is abusing her position and hurting Democrats in the process. They are now the party that refused a President giving his SOTU to the American people. Going it without Pelosi and the Dems makes them look terrible, imo.

If Donnie didn't hurt the CONservatives by lying every time he opens his mouth...……...how in the hell is Pelosi going to hurt the Dems by following procedure? Or just run away because you know you can't. LMAO!

If Donnie didn't hurt the CONservatives by lying every time he opens his mouth...……...how in the hell is Pelosi going to hurt the Dems by following procedure? Or just run away because you know you can't. LMAO!

:roll:

I see your point, but disagree. This mess lands at all their feet, but the Dems are winning public opinion. Also, technically the parties are supposed to be separate and she holds the house.

I think we will have to see it play out in full to decide who wins. I just wish that wasnt the goal.

Pelosi is abusing her position and hurting Democrats in the process. They are now the party that refused a President giving his SOTU to the American people...

Trump has not been denied to opportunity to deliver a SOTU address.

For much of US history, it was delivered in writing.

But that's not what Trump wants - he wants a platform to deliver another one of his rabble rousing political speeches.

If Trump doesn't trust himself to write, he can go on TV from one of his MAGA rallies.

Trump has not been denied to opportunity to deliver a SOTU address.

For much of US history, it was delivered in writing.

But that's not what Trump wants - he wants a platform to deliver another one of his rabble rousing political speeches.

If Trump doesn't trust himself to write, he can go on TV from one of his MAGA rallies.
Imagine that. A President wanting a platform to deliver the SOTU.
Obama had the nerve to want that 8 times!

Imagine that. A President wanting a platform to deliver the SOTU.
Obama had the nerve to want that 8 times!

For some reason, the US Congress never saw any reason to not make him welcome.

I'm glad Pelosi is standing up to Trump.

Trump can give any speech he wants anywhere he wants - except the House of Representatives without the consent of the Speaker, and that just frosts his ass.

First off, where does he get off being so disrespectful? Pelosi has never addressed Donald Trump as anything but "Mr. President." Where does he get off addressing the Speaker of the House as "Nancy"? Where's the respect? Same with senate minority leader Charles Schumer addressed as "Chuck."

Would anyone here object to Nancy Pelosi addressing the president as "Donny"?

Pelosi has every right to request the delay.
absolutely correct. this may be the first time we have agreed

However, I think she's getting way too personal when she tells the President he's not welcome and she will not allow him. I think the President should decide where and when.
so, even tho you acknowledge that Pelosi has the right to bar the president's access to the House chamber, you believe she should relinquish that right to the president
what you have not told us why you believe she should have relinquished her speaker of the house authority to the sitting president. i look forward to reading that explanation

Pelosi is abusing her position and hurting Democrats in the process.
by exercising the right you acknowledge Pelosi holds, to bar the president's access to the House chamber to deliver the state of the union address, you find to be an abuse of the power of the speaker of the house. please explain in what way "abuse" should be found

They are now the party that refused a President giving his SOTU to the American people. Going it without Pelosi and the Dems makes them look terrible, imo.
No
no
no no no
totally wrong
you seem to have missed the fact that the president can deliver his address from almost anywhere else. Pelosi says not the House chamber and i would anticipate the Chief Justice would say not from the Supreme Court, should the president seek to make the delivery of the SOTU from that venue
in fact, tRump could deliver his address from his oval office ... or anywhere else other than the Capitol or SC
probably more appropriately, he could deliver his speech from a moscow venue provided by putin
and he could simply not give a speech and instead deliver a written state of the union to the chamber of congress
in no way has Pelosi or the other democrats prevented the president from making his state of the union address ... just not from the House chamber, as you acknowledged was correct in the first sentence of your post

absolutely correct. this may be the first time we have agreed

so, even tho you acknowledge that Pelosi has the right to bar the president's access to the House chamber, you believe she should relinquish that right to the president
what you have not told us why you believe she should have relinquished her speaker of the house authority to the sitting president. i look forward to reading that explanation

by exercising the right you acknowledge Pelosi holds, to bar the president's access to the House chamber to deliver the state of the union address, you find to be an abuse of the power of the speaker of the house. please explain in what way "abuse" should be found

No
no
no no no
totally wrong
you seem to have missed the fact that the president can deliver his address from almost anywhere else. Pelosi says not the House chamber and i would anticipate the Chief Justice would say not from the Supreme Court, should the president seek to make the delivery of the SOTU from that venue
in fact, tRump could deliver his address from his oval office ... or anywhere else other than the Capitol or SC
probably more appropriately, he could deliver his speech from a moscow venue provided by putin
and he could simply not give a speech and instead deliver a written state of the union to the chamber of congress
in no way has Pelosi or the other democrats prevented the president from making his state of the union address ... just not from the House chamber, as you acknowledged was correct in the first sentence of your post

barr? No, I never said that. Request? yes, i said that. Be careful with those straw man fallacies. Once you fell back on misrepresenting my words to build your argument, you lost every point after.

she has always been that way.
she doesn't believe walls work but has them around her house. ironic isn't it.

yes what she is doing is petty but that is to be expected.

I think Dems are starting to break ranks. They are now the party that disinvited a sitting President and refused to allow him in Chambers. It's unprecedented and it's a shameful black mark in history. All courtesy of a very vengeful, angry woman, Pelosi.
She hates Trump and it's consumed her. It's personal. Way too personal.

You think incorrectly about the dems. If they were breaking ranks nancy wouldn't have told the potus he is not wanted in the house chamber while the shutdown continues.

Trump is the shameful black mark on american history, Pelosi is trying to keep him in check. In other words, she's doing her job.

When illegals step foot on Pelosi's land, she just calls the police to have them removed.

Nice of you to prove you don't understand the difference! LMAO!

Back
Top Bottom