• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi trying to keep POTUS from his people

Michael Cohen just announced that he's postponing his appearance in front of Congress saying that he and his family are being threatened by both Trump and Giuliani.

Seriously? Are you kidding?

So now Trump's mob boss con man is really coming through. Wonderful.

They don't recognize checks on the president are actually part of governing. Think the GOP is starting to recognize this ain't your grandmothers democratic party?

only if the grandmother is Nancy Pelosi

I think it's very wrong of Pelosi to try and keep the POTUS from speaking to his public. It's petty and childish. She's trying to rob him of tradition and the decorum afforded to the POTUS at that time.

She refuses to negotiate (trying to travel instead until Trump said no). She abandons her dreamers. What's wrong with her? Is she just so full of hate that sticking it to Trump because she's mad about the election, is more important than her immigrants? What exactly does she want from these negotiations? She is shameful, selfish and greedy. Your thoughts?

Meh.

Tradition and custom no longer exist. Trump and McConnell have made clear that the power to exercise and act is reason enough to do it.

There is great hilarity in seeing the President or any of his supporters snivel about custom and tradition and decorum.

Seriously? Are you kidding?

So now Trump's mob boss con man is really coming through. Wonderful.

Good god. This bucket of crap wasn't stinking enough so cohen figures he might as well throw his two cents in and stir it some more. I would be very careful if I were the don.

Trump is frustrated because he just found out that he can't boss Nancy Pelosi around, she's not one that's going to bend to his will like all his lick-spittle republican congressmen. Now he'll be on a rage because he's been dis-invited from spitting out his venomous wrath on democrats in the House. He has already started with a new description, "blotch" and a new mantra and war cry;

3fa99cb9-cb19-4fc2-87c8-e4fdbb9c9dc6.png

Needs more fear.

Here's how she handled it.

Dxnp0ezU8AEvJRY.jpg
Well, short and sweet.

I must admit, she doesn't hesitate to go toe-to-toe with Trump. I just hope she doesn't overplay her hand, and stoop to Trump's level of pettiness.

Well, short and sweet.

I must admit, she doesn't hesitate to go toe-to-toe with Trump. I just hope she doesn't overplay her hand, and stoop to Trump's level of pettiness.

As long as Trump's numbers continue to fall she's (quote) winning (unquote).

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1088168370069954560

@Mikel_Jollett

REPORTER: What happens if Trump still shows up for the State of the Union on January 29th?

PELOSI: Well he'd have to speak outside.

Guys, Nancy Pelosi is not ****ing around.

I think it's very wrong of Pelosi to try and keep the POTUS from speaking to his public. It's petty and childish. She's trying to rob him of tradition and the decorum afforded to the POTUS at that time.

She refuses to negotiate (trying to travel instead until Trump said no). She abandons her dreamers. What's wrong with her? Is she just so full of hate that sticking it to Trump because she's mad about the election, is more important than her immigrants? What exactly does she want from these negotiations? She is shameful, selfish and greedy. Your thoughts?

"YOU LIE!"

- A remark that was used rudely and wrongly by one of those who spit on decorum while demanding it, but which could be used quite correctly in response to your post.

PS:

"I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck, because the people of this country don't want criminals, and people that have lots of problems, and drugs pouring into our country," Trump said. "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not going to blame you for it — the last time you shut it down, it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting it down. And I'm going to shut it down for border security."

https://www.businessinsider.com/government-shutdown-trump-blame-democrats-2018-12

:2wave:

Last edited:
As long as Trump's numbers continue to fall she's (quote) winning (unquote).

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1088168370069954560
Whoa! Just today Trump's approval-spread opened up over another point, to 16 -1/2.

Yeah, it looks like the old boy dropped a solid 6-7 points since he shutdown the gov, and his slide continues. Good for him. Unfortunately, the only thing that matters to Trump is his base sticking with him - and they are.

I suppose the perverse positive, is:

If he continues the shutdown indefinitely, he's gone in 2020!

Well, short and sweet.

He isn't coming across as either the tough guy he presented himself to be, nor the great negotiator people kept insisting he was.

I don't care for Pelosi at all, but as I predicted, she was the right person for that job. She is owning Trump morning noon and night. It's going to be a very long 2 years for him.

Last edited:
Whoa! Just today Trump's approval-spread opened up over another point, to 16 -1/2.

Yeah, it looks like the old boy dropped a solid 6-7 points since he shutdown the gov, and his slide continues. Good for him. Unfortunately, the only thing that matters to Trump is his base sticking with him - and they are.

I suppose the perverse positive, is:

If he continues the shutdown indefinitely, he's gone in 2020!

Which would be great. But, those poor workers.

Maybe the higher-ups in agencies will be "polite" and fire them so they can at least collect unemployment. They don't even get that now (I am pretty sure but not 100% certain on that). They best they can hope for is leniency from mortgage holders and charity, after they've sold off all saleable possessions.

Which would be great. But, those poor workers.

Maybe the higher-ups in agencies will be "polite" and fire them so they can at least collect unemployment. They don't even get that now (I am pretty sure but not 100% certain on that). They best they can hope for is leniency from mortgage holders and charity, after they've sold off all saleable possessions.

Here is a question: if the congress can’t come up with a new budget, why not simply operate under the old budget?

He isn't coming across as either te tough guy he presented himself to be, nor the great negotiator people kept insisting he was.

I don't care for Pelosi at all, but as I predicted, she was the right person for that job. She is owning Trump morning noon and night. It's going to be a very long 2 years for him.
Yeah, we both were on the same page with that prediction. I remember that thread.

I suspect those more Lefty, and/or younger, or more revolutionary, are now seeing the wisdom in having the "old generation" Pelosi at the helm. Firstly, she is the best qualified for the circumstance. But secondly, I think there's few that could successfully and skillfully stand-up to the bully-pulpit wielded by the President of the United States - particularly this one.

I really do think the fear and anger of Trump will keep the Dems in solid unity. It seems to be working and getting results. The polls are overwhelmingly against Trump, and his approvals are dropping like a stone. If he ever were to consider riding this fool's errand into 2020, he will forfeit any opportunity to attain a second term.

Here is a question: if the congress can’t come up with a new budget, why not simply operate under the old budget?

Wait a sec. You mean, without appropriated money and in violation of law?

The non-essential workers aren't allowed to work, even if there were some unspent prior appropriations lying around.

Yeah, we both were on the same page with that prediction. I remember that thread.

I suspect those more Lefty, and/or younger, or more revolutionary, are now seeing the wisdom in having the "old generation" Pelosi at the helm. Firstly, she is the best qualified for the circumstance. But secondly, I think there's few that could successfully and skillfully stand-up to the bully-pulpit wielded by the President of the United States - particularly this one.

I really do think the fear and anger of Trump will keep the Dems in solid unity. It seems to be working and getting results. The polls are overwhelmingly against Trump, and his approvals are dropping like a stone. If he ever were to consider riding this fool's errand into 2020, he will forfeit any opportunity to attain a second term.

Trump seems to think this is making him look good. It isn't. It doesn't surprise me that Trump is that stupid, but what does surprise me is how stupid McConnell et al must be. They know they are on the losing end here. I'm not sure why they are allowing Trump to destroy not only his chances in 2020, but theirs as well.

Wait a sec. You mean, without appropriated money and in violation of law?

The non-essential workers aren't allowed to work, even if there were some unspent prior appropriations lying around.

The money would be appropriated, just at the level of the previous year’s budget.

The money would be appropriated, just at the level of the previous year’s budget.

I really don't follow. Congress has to appropriate money for money to be borrowed & spent. If it's not appropriated, the executive agencies don't have the money unless perhaps there's some left from the last appropriations bill. They can't pay workers. I mean, there's no vault of cash that they can just go raid, and they can't just add zeroes to a bank account. And like I said, non-essential workers may not work according to the law, so it would be illegal too.

I suppose a devious president could work out some illegal scheme where the FED literally prints cash, delivers it on the sly to executive agencies, and then they pay for workers/supplies/etc with it. But we'd be done as a functioning country long before someone really tries that.

Trump seems to think this is making him look good. It isn't. It doesn't surprise me that Trump is that stupid, but what does surprise me is how stupid McConnell et al must be. They know they are on the losing end here. I'm not sure why they are allowing Trump to destroy not only his chances in 2020, but theirs as well.
Well, it is making Trump "look good" to his base. They love it! But it won't help him get re-elected from outside his base.

McConnel has no choice but to follow Trump, in my opinion. There is no "Republican Party" anymore - as we speak - but only the "Party of Trump". And Trump & his voters want a shutdown! It's that simple.

(and sorry to have to speak so bluntly about the party you love(d), but it is what it is - at least for now)

That's ridiculous. Trump is not being prevented from speaking to his base in any way.

I say PROPS to ANYONE who can shut the Liar-in-Chief up and keep him off of my TV set.

On second thought, why should I care is he shoots off his blow-hole at the SOTU address? I can always just turn off the TV or jam some Netflix.

Nevermind.

I don't care after all.

Back
Top Bottom