• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi: 'There will not be another shutdown'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

154466126089a16-1.jpg

The antagonists.

2/7/19
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) predicted in a new interview that Republican leaders in Congress would not support another partial government shutdown over funding for President Trump's plans to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. The Speaker joked while being questioned by Politico that the issue was "too hot" for Republican congressional leaders and pledged to support any deal that arises from negotiations between House and Senate lawmakers on border security. “There will not be another shutdown,” she told the news outlet. “No, it’s not going to happen.” “I have a club that I started, it’s called the ‘Too Hot to Handle Club.’ And this is a too-hot-to-handle issue,” Pelosi reportedly added. Her comments come as Congress and the White House approach a deadline to fund the federal government and avoid another partial shutdown. Funding for the federal government is set to expire on Feb. 15 unless Congress passes another appropriations bill. Democrats have vowed to remain firm in their promise not to provide funding for a border wall, while the president has publicly considered declaring a national emergency and allocating funding for the project himself.

Pelosi also took aim at Trump's State of the Union address late Tuesday. The president in that speech called for unity and hours later bashed House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (D-Calif.). “Don’t waste your time on this. This is theatrics, this is not government. We just take this in stride," Pelosi told Politico. “When [Trump] makes an assault on Mr. Schiff and congressional responsibility for oversight, he is making an assault on the Constitution of the United States, the separation of powers, co-equal branches of government,” she added. “We honor the institution in which we serve, the Congress of the United States. I hope he would honor it, too.”

I'm certain that government funding CRs being negotiated this week by a Democrat and Republican committee do not contain funding for Trumps 30' rally wall. But there will probably be funding allocated for additional security fencing in select areas and repair work for fencing that has been damaged. Without doubt the lion's share of funding for border security will be for smart-technology and more CBP agents. Congressional Republicans would rather stick a pencil in their necks than see another government shutdown. Will the bipartisan funding CRs be enough for Trump? I think that no matter what funding CRs land on his desk, Trump will sign on the dotted lines. He has little choice after his disastrous 35 day shutdown. Perhaps the only question remaining is the "national emergency" question. Even though he has been forewarned of the terrible precedent and the certain court challenges, I believe Trump will go this route for purely political reasons. It is the only fig leaf remaining that he can offer his shrinking base and the staunch anti-immigration agitators such as Coulter, Limbaugh, Bannon, Gingrich, etc.

Related: Top GOP immigration negotiator Sen. Richard Shelby says a deal to avoid another shutdown could come by Monday

154466126089a16-1.jpg

The antagonists.

I'm certain that government funding CRs being negotiated this week by a Democrat and Republican committee do not contain funding for Trumps 30' rally wall. But there will probably be funding allocated for additional security fencing in select areas and repair work for fencing that has been damaged. Without doubt the lion's share of funding for border security will be for smart-technology and more CBP agents. Congressional Republicans would rather stick a pencil in their necks than see another government shutdown. Will the bipartisan funding CRs be enough for Trump? I think that no matter what funding CRs land on his desk, Trump will sign on the dotted lines. He has little choice after his disastrous 35 day shutdown. Perhaps the only question remaining is the "national emergency" question. Even though he has been forewarned of the terrible precedent and the certain court challenges, I believe Trump will go this route for purely political reasons. It is the only fig leaf remaining that he can offer his shrinking base and the staunch anti-immigration agitators such as Coulter, Limbaugh, Bannon, Gingrich, etc.

Related: Top GOP immigration negotiator Sen. Richard Shelby says a deal to avoid another shutdown could come by Monday

Trump, said in the STOU, that the wall needs to be built, and it will under his watch. If no money for the wall, or barrier then the shutdown will happen, or, the only other option is to declare an emergency, which is what Pelosi wants rather than have a shutdown, and this time the shutdown will be all on the dems..

Tim-

Trump, said in the STOU, that the wall needs to be built, and it will under his watch. If no money for the wall, or barrier then the shutdown will happen, or, the only other option is to declare an emergency, which is what Pelosi wants rather than have a shutdown, and this time the shutdown will be all on the dems..

Tim-

You spelled Trump wrong.

154466126089a16-1.jpg

The antagonists.

God, Pelosi must be really getting under Trump's skin!

I agree, Trump has no choice but to sign the legislation; it's not even close. He then will be faced with two choices:

1] Declare victory & move-on

2] Declare a fake and ineffectual emergency, that will be immediately quashed by a House resolution and the courts

In short, Trump capitulated on 25 JAN. All that's left, is for the remaining remnants to unfold ...

Tim-
Trump don't have the balls to shut-down the government (again). It's over. He lost.

If another shutdown happens, I believe it will happen because Trump refuses to sign the funding bills that land on his desk.

I don't see McConnell playing that self-defeating game of not allowing a Senate vote again.

So if another shutdown happens, it will again be squarely on Trumps shoulders.

Tim-

It's still Trump trying to force an outcome he doesn't have the support in congress (or even amongst the voters) to get, no?

Same dynamic.

I'd predict the same outcome as become as well, which is the strongest indicator to me that it won't happen.

Even Trump isn't stupid enough to stick his leg in the same trap twice, right?

Right?

If another shutdown happens, I believe it will happen because Trump refuses to sign the funding bills that land on his desk.

I don't see McConnell playing that self-defeating game of not allowing a Senate vote again.

So if another shutdown happens, it will again be squarely on trumps shoulder.

McConnell, for all his faults has shown loyalty to trump, mostly.. No funding bill will get to his desk without the Trump wall funds. Try all you want, but the President out played ole Nanc on this one. He opened the government, and gave a reasonable amount of time for the dems to work out a deal. No wall, no deal, period! This one's on them.

Tim-

It's still Trump trying to force an outcome he doesn't have the support in congress (or even amongst the voters) to get, no?

Same dynamic.

I'd predict the same outcome as become as well, which is the strongest indicator to me that it won't happen.

Even Trump isn't stupid enough to stick his leg in the same trap twice, right?

Right?

perhaps you missed the 72 of people who watched the SOTU support the President on his immigration plans..

Hey, whatever, we can agree to disagree, but the amount the president is asking for on the wall is nothing, especially when compared to democratic pet projects.

Tim-

McConnell, for all his faults has shown loyalty to trump, mostly.. No funding bill will get to his desk without the Trump wall funds. Try all you want, but the President out played ole Nanc on this one. He opened the government, and gave a reasonable amount of time for the dems to work out a deal. No wall, no deal, period! This one's on them.

Tim-
I believe you're going to be one mighty disappointed Trumper. We'll see what you have to say after the 15th.

perhaps you missed the 72 of people who watched the SOTU support the President on his immigration plans..

Hey, whatever, we can agree to disagree, but the amount the president is asking for on the wall is nothing, especially when compared to democratic pet projects.

Tim-

Ok, so where was all his people power when they were needed to change their congresspersons' votes last time?

Why should we believe they'll be more effective now than they were then?

154466126089a16-1.jpg

The antagonists.

I think what we are going to see is some $$$$ for humanitarian aid. Even Trump can't argue it isn't needed since the kids he took from parents are out there somewhere......seems they can't find them now.

Making America Groan Again

Trump don't have the balls to shut-down the government (again). It's over. He lost.

Of course not, Pelosi is wearing them as a necklace.

gettyimages-1094193282.jpg

Tim-

Nancy is in a position now where she can't capitulate to Trump even if she agreed with him because it will be viewed as rewarding Trump for shutting the government down. Her hands are tied due to Trump's own foolish miscalculation. He has guaranteed that his bluff will be called, and the only card he has to play is likely to result in a Supreme Court smackdown. This is the biggest political self-own I can remember.

Tim-

The First and what should be the Only option is Fat Donald goes to Mexico and get the $5.7 Billion for his "big beautiful wall" there.

Let him fulfill his campaign promise as he promised it!

I hope and pray she is right if Speaker Nancy Pelosi predicts that Republican Senators will not go along with Fat Donald to force another insane Trump Government Shutdown.

Nancy is in a position now where she can't capitulate to Trump even if she agreed with him because it will be viewed as rewarding Trump for shutting the government down. Her hands are tied due to Trump's own foolish miscalculation. He has guaranteed that his bluff will be called, and the only card he has to play is likely to result in a Supreme Court smackdown. This is the biggest political self-own I can remember.
And this isn't Trump's first drastic miscalculation. Firing Comey got him Mueller, and will go down as one of the worst strategic political blunders in modern Presidential history.

And this isn't Trump's first drastic miscalculation. Firing Comey got him Mueller, and will go down as one of the worst strategic political blunders in modern Presidential history.

You're right. Firing Comey might still take the cake on that one.

Fat Donald has no freaking clue what needs to be built at our border.

He is the most uninformed, unknowledgeable, purely ignorant president we have ever had.

What is freakish is that he is willfully so!

You're right. Firing Comey might still take the cake on that one.
If he didn't do it, this all would have been over in a few months, and he, his family, and his friends would be skating free.

That's an unequivocally clear assertion. We'll see if it bears out.

Regardless of how things go, I can't complain about her statement; I like nothing more than hearing from politicians, gov't administrators and policy makers clear declarations and assertions that leave no "wiggle room." I wish they'd all remark that way all the time. I can forbear folks being mistaken; I can't stand their uttering vague and ambiguous remarks so they can later "spin" them every which way so as to make it appear they weren't mistaken.

In any case, hopefully Pelosi's remark is not a taunt, but it could be. If it is a taunt, I know Mrs. Pelosi is well prepared for how it plays out should Trump accept the gambit.

If he didn't do it, this all would have been over in a few months, and he, his family, and his friends would be skating free.

Indeed. One of the worst political blunders in US history. Reality TV personalities don't have a clue how to fake their way forward at this level.

Tim-

Ah, no.

Any shutdown for evermore with Trump in the White House will be Trump's, or the Republicans to own.

Don't go giving up your day job as a political analyst as you are missing about a dozen key elements, the biggest of which is that Donald LOST the shut down.

What he has left in his arsenal is a vacuous threat to declare a national emergency, and with more than 70% of the country saying there is no need for one, I suspect it will backfire, in a very big and ugly way.

If he does? It means he's throwing in the towel for a second term

That's an unequivocally clear assertion. We'll see if it bears out.

Regardless of how things go, I can't complain about her statement; I like nothing more than hearing from politicians, gov't administrators and policy makers clear declarations and assertions that leave no "wiggle room." I wish they'd all remark that way all the time. I can forbear folks being mistaken; I can't stand their uttering vague and ambiguous remarks so they can later "spin" them every which way so as to make it appear they weren't mistaken.

In any case, hopefully Pelosi's remark is not a taunt, but it could be. If it is a taunt, I know Mrs. Pelosi is well prepared for how it plays out should Trump accept the gambit.

I do not think its a taunt.

I have to say I had not liked madam speaker before, during the Obamacare debate she was very arrogant displaying the DC mentality of I know because I'm in DC and you're not.

However I am impressed with how she has handled the Donald. She has staked out her own style and clearly communicated her intentions. She is the perfect foil for Trump, a mom for the little brat.

Having watched her carefully first through the challenges to her leadership, which she finessed beautifully to her confrontation of the scary, insult hurling monster, she has purported herself very well.

I figure, based on recent history, is she knows something Trump doesn't and is absolutely sure of it or she would not have said it. She's been in the pits of DC all her life, she didn't get to where she is by bluster and bull****; she knows something.

If he does? It means he's throwing in the towel for a second term

I think he feels it a political necessity. Graham told him that no wall = the end of his presidency.

Back
Top Bottom