• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi: 'There will not be another shutdown'

If another shutdown happens, I believe it will happen because Trump refuses to sign the funding bills that land on his desk.

I don't see McConnell playing that self-defeating game of not allowing a Senate vote again.

So if another shutdown happens, it will again be squarely on Trumps shoulders.

Yes. If the House and Senate pass a funding bill, Trump will sign it. But for anything to get through the senate, it takes 60 votes. Not sure that will happen without some wall funding. But we will see.

I do not think its a taunt.

I have to say I had not liked madam speaker before, during the Obamacare debate she was very arrogant displaying the DC mentality of I know because I'm in DC and you're not.

However I am impressed with how she has handled the Donald. She has staked out her own style and clearly communicated her intentions. She is the perfect foil for Trump, a mom for the little brat.

Having watched her carefully first through the challenges to her leadership, which she finessed beautifully to her confrontation of the scary, insult hurling monster, she has purported herself very well.

I figure, based on recent history, is she knows something Trump doesn't and is absolutely sure of it or she would not have said it. She's been in the pits of DC all her life, she didn't get to where she is by bluster and bull****; she knows something.

I essentially concur with the conclusions you've drawn based on the observations you've made.

Red and off-topic:
I don't concur with your "red" assertion.
  • The "DC mentality," if such a thing be sufficiently extant to describe DC that way, has nothing to do with geography or the one in which DC residents and workers find themselves or those in which others do. Certain DC (DC area) folks who work in certain roles do indeed hold the mindset of "I know," but their basis for thinking that has nothing to do with their being in DC.
  • Most of the DC (area) folks who have the "I know" mindset regarding "this or that" matter have it because they are experts on "this or that" matter, and they are well aware that they are experts on those matters. They're aware of their status as such because expert is what they're paid expressly to be, and they got the roles they have because they'd previously demonstrated their expertise. (FWIW, because they are experts on "this or that," when they're talking to others, it doesn't take long for them to figure out -- based only on the "gravitas" of one's remarks/observations -- whether the other discussant is, isn't, or to what degree s/he is/isn't expert on the topic being discussed.)
  • Members of Congress who've held their seats for a about decade or more, if they weren't an expert on something when they first arrived in DC, over the course of their having to learn about "this and that" so they can make well informed legislative decisions, end up being pretty near expert on a few policy disciplines. Those of them who ascend to positions like Speaker, Majority/Minority Whip, Majority Leader and a few others are unquestionably experts about how to "get things done" in federal Washington. They're also expert political strategists.
Look carefully and what you'll find is that sometimes and sometimes not, the highest level executive branch appointees aren't experts at much of anything. That's not to say they're fools, though occasionally one or two are, but rather that they haven't any particular expertise at much of anything pertaining to the department they run -- there are some departments/agencies that usually are exceptions to that, e.g., DoJ, FBI, and USIC agencies.

Back
Top Bottom