• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi tells Trump no State of the Union on Tuesday

Does Pelosi not understand that the Speech can be given without being in the House? The speech can be given in the Senate House, The White House, on National TV, hell...it can even be given over twitter. All this is doing is making Pelosi look like an errant child....along with anyone that supports this idiocy.

Yes, Trump can try to find somewhere else which will hold enough applauding people to satisfy his ego.

Pelosi is standing up for the constitutional role of the Congress. Something Democrats failed to do under Obama and the GOP has failed to do for the past two years under Trump.

That is one of the benefits of divided government ... the opposition party suddenly remembering their duty not to look the other way during executive overreach.

In this case, the overreach from the White House is breathtaking in its dangerous potential, and whatever her motivation it is right for her to stand up against it. No, just having a speech on its own isn't "overreach", but this is part of the bigger picture of Pelosi schooling Trump on the constitutional role of Congress in holding the line against the kind of president who would paralyze a nation for a vanity project.

Acadia said:
Trump will choose a place...

trouble13 said:
He should hold it at marlago

Kal'Stang said:
Does Pelosi not understand that the Speech can be given without being in the House? The speech can be given in the Senate House, The White House, on National TV, hell...it can even be given over twitter.

In her 'univite' letter, I believe she told him exactly that. Just NOT in the House Chamber.

Yes, Trump can try to find somewhere else which will hold enough applauding people to satisfy his ego.

Pelosi is standing up for the constitutional role of the Congress. Something Democrats failed to do under Obama and the GOP has failed to do for the past two years under Trump.

That is one of the benefits of divided government ... the opposition party suddenly remembering their duty not to look the other way during executive overreach.

In this case, the overreach from the White House is breathtaking in its dangerous potential, and whatever her motivation it is right for her to stand up against it. No, just having a speech on its own isn't "overreach", but this is part of the bigger picture of Pelosi schooling Trump on the constitutional role of Congress in holding the line against the kind of president who would paralyze a nation for a vanity project.

What over reach has Trump done? Please point it out.

Does Pelosi not understand that the Speech can be given without being in the House? The speech can be given in the Senate House, The White House, on National TV, hell...it can even be given over twitter. All this is doing is making Pelosi look like an errant child....along with anyone that supports this idiocy.

Sure she does, but the Senate and the WH are not large enough for much of an audience so Trump will not get to bask in the glory of his slavish congressional supporters applause, nor will he get to introduce the special guests presidents usually invite to the speech. And Trump is not good at reading speeches. He needs an audience

She is appealing to the hate mongers on the left. They are all celebrating this pettiness

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Maybe he can make into a Rally in an airplane hanger?......In front of a bunch MAGA hat wearing idiots

He can shove that speech up his ass...Nancy has spoken

it would continue to be Constitutional for his proctologist to read the SOTU to the American people

In her 'univite' letter, I believe she told him exactly that. Just NOT in the House Chamber.

I think Pelosi's letter implied she thinks Trump can't or shouldn't give the SOTU as scheduled.

It's petty, very petty, but the best chess move she could buy. Until now, no one save Justin Trudeau and a few others no one has stood up to Trump's bully threats.

And, get used to it, petty will rule from now till 2021 with the man-child in office where every verbal slight has to be crushed with an M1 Tank, this shames him. And you are correct, I would pay dearly to watch how he deals with this, certain at least one aid will be fired.

He's used to women giving in, he hates strong women why he detests Hilary, and Pelosi is his junior in rank, and she's barring the door.

Being held to task by a woman kills votes on the right, and creates new, female votes on the left. You could say that this is Trump's worst nightmare...all the power of the White House, the most powerful position in the world, a man with demi god tendencies sent begging by a grandmother?

It's going to be an historic and ugly fight.

popcorn bart.jpg

She is appealing to the hate mongers on the left. They are all celebrating this pettiness

Democrats divide.

her previous letter conveyed such alternatives to him

surprise ... appears he didn't read that, either

What over reach has Trump done? Please point it out.

Start with paralyzing the government with cascading effects across the nation while declaring that he'll keep the government shut down until he gets taxpayer money that he promised we wouldn't have to pay.

So, if Trump grabs the door handle, will the Sergeant-of-Arms grab Trump?!? :lamo

We will never know, trump will never take the chance that could happen.

The "man" is a coward...

Yeah. I don't know. I used to advocate for the Dems taking the high road but the last ten years have made me rethink that. Due to GOP behavior, a Dem decision to take the high road quite literally means falling on one's sword. So, yay, they can stand on principle. But not only they but we get screwed every time they do it.

**** it. Give them everything they've given, and give it in spades. Might as well get a little "winning" in if we're going down with the ship....

i absolutely understand
however, the republicans have viewed kindness as softness
time to change things up a bit

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/426649-pelosi-tells-trump-no-sotu-on-tuesday

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Wednesday she will block President Trump from delivering the State of the Union address in the House chamber on Jan. 29.

In a letter to Trump, Pelosi said she would not move forward with the legislative steps needed for the address to take place.
=============================================
I don't think Trump understands how the government works. The Speaker can order the Sergeant of Arms to not let Trump inside the House chamber. He needs to be invited & that won't happen with the shutdown in effect.

I don't think Nancy can stop the President, any president, from setting up a microphone in the capitol and saying his piece, with or without the Democrats being present. Somebody will cover it, with periodic pans to an empty left side of the aisle. If she can, and does, then you move the microphone to the capitol steps.

Nancy's boxed herself in.

I don't think Nancy can stop the President, any president, from setting up a microphone in the capitol and saying his piece, with or without the Democrats being present. Somebody will cover it, with periodic pans to an empty left side of the aisle. If she can, and does, then you move the microphone to the capitol steps.

She can keep the media out.

So go ahead, Trump. Talk into that mic

She is the Speaker of the House. If the "aisle" of which you speak is in the House chamber, she can absolutely stop him.

The next time there is a Democratic president with a GOP Speaker, the GOP will recognize this fact again.

Let him to to the capitol steps ... that's fine. But Pelosi has the Constitutional right to block him from the House.

Do you have any idea how ridiculous this sounds? ^^^

Nancy will have to back down from this nutty stand. Guess she is still pissed off over her canceled flight overseas.

Why will she have to back down?

Didn't he cancel her Plane last minute?

Not a lie. Pelosi doesn't get to change the date of the SOTU
It is a lie. And there is no set date for the SOTU, so Pelosi does have power to help decide when and how it is delivered.

Pelosi is not denying Trump the opportunity (which she couldn't do anyways), merely when, where and how. If the government opens, then she has said Trump is welcome to deliver it the way it has been delivered in the recent past.

I believe NC invited him to give the speech in their state House.

President Trump has unlimited options. Nancy has none. Political dumb move of the year.

Back
Top Bottom