• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi Says She Has a Duty to Pursue Policies in Keeping With The Values of

:roll:
So you disagree with her statement because you don't like her? Or do you have an actual reason?

No reason at all, none at all, nope.:roll:

It couldn't be that Pelosi's actions IMHO do not match her words.

NAH, not that at ALL.

The Pope condemned the actions of the pedophile priests' as well.

Which is why I made mention of them, many are still clergy, and are Catholics in excellent standing, so a papal condemnation does not seem to mean squat as far as a Catholics relationship to God.

If they can still be in good standing and still wear the cloth, then I suppose she is entitled to do be "god fearing". Who are we to determine or judge what she perceives her relationship to her god is anyhow?

Pelosi says she is passing laws in keeping with her Catholic values, but even the Pope, the leader of the Catholic church and in Catholic doctrine takes the place of Peter, told Pelosi to her face that her stance on abortion is wrong. The Pope also said all abortion supporting Catholics should be denied communion. I am not a Catholic nor am I trying to defend the Catholic church, but what Pelosi is doing is using her religion as a mask.

Politicians use religion as a mask all the time <shrug> nothing new here, its not even comment worthy anymore, except that it is "the far left pariah lady"

She was reprimanded by the Pope and he even told her to her face that she is wrong on abortion. Yet she still supports it and many other things that go against Catholic doctrine.

So do millions of other Catholics.. it is a rather flexible and forgiving religion with a long tradition of disagreements amongst its flock.

I stay out of abortion topics, and you are taking this down tangents that I did not intend to argue nor imply, but does she directly support abortion, or does she support the law of the land, or does she support it by proxy because that is the views of her constituents?

This just seems to be painted in a total black and white palette, and this is part of the reason why I avoid abortion discussions like the plague - no gray areas allowed.

It would be comparable to someone saying that they are a good soldier and they want to pass laws that are in accordance with the military's values. But at the same time the President and the heads of the military say this person is wrong and tell them to their face that what they are doing is not in accordance with the military's values.

Is Nancy actually passing laws on abortion, or is there/has there been any pieces of abortion legislation going through congress? I have a strong feeling that there is likely a bit more behind her religious feelings than just a disagreement with the pope on the area of abortion, and despite this she could still use God as a guiding hand for her decision making.

My entire point was simple and succinct, you are the one arguing the bigger picture.. IMO a papal condemnation means jack **** as far as ones standing with their god is concerned.

And this is coming from an atheist who thinks Pelosi is full of hot air and speaking out of her ass btw.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Directly on topic as an atheist I am supposed to be speaking out against this or something according to Mr V. I don't get why, but here you go:

I do not care if "keeping with the values" of Jesus Christ are the guiding hand in a politicians decision making process, according to the tales Jesus had exceptional values <shrug>. A bit of a loving thy neighbor -turning the other cheek - non judgemental- non casting of stones, free will appreciating, benevolence, humility, and meekness would be of no issue.

In fact, I wish a hell of a lot more politicians (and others) who give lip service to their religion would "keep to the values" of Christ. The problems arise when things go past a simple "value driven guidance" and the values of Christ are left in the dust and good intentioned people decide that they should legislate, manipulate, dictate, or impose their morality and or religion onto others, that is not WWJD. (btw many atheists do share similar values with non atheists - but they are born out of respect for our fellow human, not religious dictates)

And don't go getting any ideas I am defending Nancy.. It was probably a lot of hot air, but I am not going to knock her faith, or doubt it, there is no reason for me to, let her have it, just do NOT let her impose it. -and this holds true to ALL politicians.

tangent.. it is suspect the way the quote was spliced in the article: "in keeping with the values" of Jesus Christ, [not quoted] "The Word made Flesh.". /tangent

Well, color me impressed!

I'm glad to have brightened up your day with a little humor.
:cool:

Well it's not like I hate you or anything. I just disagree with you most of the time. I never let that stand in the way of funny. :)

Imagine it's 2005 and House Speaker Dennis Hastert said “They ask me all the time, ‘What is your favorite this? What is your favorite that? What is your favorite that?’ And one time, ‘What is your favorite word?’ And I said, ‘My favorite word? That is really easy. My favorite word is the Word, is the Word. And that is everything. It says it all for us. And you know the biblical reference, you know the Gospel reference of the Word.”

Do you think that might occasion a bit of criticism from the left?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I would have no trouble with it. I'm Catholic myself. Separation of Church in state is not equal to holding no belief. The entire idea being pursuded here is flawed.

the whole thing is pointless. just like how the GLBT community supported Obama even after he announced support for traditional marriage? because we all know he didn't mean it.

just like i'm fairly certain she doesn't.

You can judeg who means what about their faith? WOW, how? Mind read? Jesus tell you? What?

Back
Top Bottom