• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi: Obamacare Killing the 40 Hour workweek means more time to follow your passion

cpwill

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I am not sure if this belongs at the same plane of holy-crap-what-set-of-medications-is-she-on as her claim that Obamacare would create "400,000 jobs almost immediately".... but it's pretty friggin up there.

During an interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” host Candy Crowley read Pelosi part of a letter signed by union goon James Hoffa Jr. that described Obamacare’s impact on employers as a way to “destroy the foundation of the 40-hour work week.”

“That’s pretty tough from a loyal Democratic constituency,” said Crowley, sometimes considered a pretty loyal Democratic constituency herself.
Pelosi was unfazed.
Some parts of Obamacare need to be clarified, she acknowledged, but losing that 40-hour work week will really free Americans to “pursue your happiness … follow your passion.”
“Overwhelmingly, for the American people, this is a liberation,” the San Francisco millionaire said...[/quote]
.... and she has the temerity to accuse Republicans of being tone-deaf..... :roll:

Re: Pelosi: Obamacare Killing the 40 Hour workweek means more time to follow your pas

Before I stop blinking in wonder and amazement at what Pelosi said and can respond to that, I think that the union bosses are more concerned about their ultra-high end insurance plans being taxed over anything else.

Ok, I've got a question. How hippie is the district that Nancy Pelosi serves? She's re-elected in election after election without worry by very comfortable margins, how does that work? That was the most flower-child response to a question from a politician I've seen in a while.

And then I watched the video, which set a very different tone form the very partisan article that accompanied it. I don't think she was saying that losing a 40 hour workweek would be great for Americans, but that the idea of having health coverage options outside of your job would help make folks a little less completely dependent on where they worked for their health insurance. That's the kind of liberation she was likely talking about, not having fewer hours at work every week, but not having to be tied to a job because the health insurance you need is all you can get. I could be wrong of course, but to immediately jump head first into the worst possible spin for her answer to Candy Crowley's question just reeks of partisanship.

Re: Pelosi: Obamacare Killing the 40 Hour workweek means more time to follow your pas

Ok, I've got a question. How hippie is the district that Nancy Pelosi serves? She's re-elected in election after election without worry by very comfortable margins, how does that work?

She's from Than Fwanthithco.

I am not sure if this belongs at the same plane of holy-crap-what-set-of-medications-is-she-on as her claim that Obamacare would create "400,000 jobs almost immediately".... but it's pretty friggin up there.

.... and she has the temerity to accuse Republicans of being tone-deaf..... :roll:

I'm against anybody who apposes the forty hour work week. It's basically what made the middle class in this country. Each day Mon. thru Fri consisting of a third for big business, a third for family and a third for sleeping. If Pelosi can find something wrong with that.....**** her

Last edited:

Nancy Pelosi, like Joe Biden is one of those politicians that always has those on the left trying to explain away her gaffes. I wonder if it ever dawned on the woman that it's really hard to pursue your dreams when it's all you can do to opay the rent and put food on the table...

Wow, I knew that lame excuse for an animated dirty mop was about about 20 IQ points lower than the bucket in which she's stored, but that is some truly scary stuff. Scary because there are actually people who vote such morons into public office.

Nancy Pelosi, like Joe Biden is one of those politicians that always has those on the left trying to explain away her gaffes. I wonder if it ever dawned on the woman that it's really hard to pursue your dreams when it's all you can do to opay the rent and put food on the table...
The problem is neither Pelosi nor Biden know any shame. I mean, what would it take to embarrass either? I don't think it's possible.

The problem is neither Pelosi nor Biden know any shame. I mean, what would it take to embarrass either? I don't think it's possible.

These days the embarrassment should be directed to the Republican house. In my lifetime I've never seen such a collection of out of touch buffoons.....'course I'm just 79.

The facts of the matter is that modern Republicans live in an isolated, hermetically sealed bubble and I'm just hoping they continue on their present path because if they do they will lose the house in 2014.

In the last two years they haven't accomplished **** and have blocked every reasonable thing the president was trying to do. History will show the facts....well, for everyone except Fox News. They're allergic to the facts....they have their own.

Last edited:

These days the embarrassment should be directed to the Republican house. In my lifetime I've never seen such a collection of out of touch buffoons.....'course I'm just 79.

The facts of the matter is that modern Republicans live in an isolated, hermetically sealed bubble and I'm just hoping they continue on their present path because if they do they will lose the house in 2014.

In the last two years they haven't accomplished **** and have blocked every reasonable thing the president was trying to do. History will show the facts....well, for everyone except Fox News. They're allergic to the facts....they have their own.
Well it's good to know that at 79 you haven't lost the ability to regurgitate your party's talking points.

Well it's good to know that at 79 you haven't lost the ability to regurgitate your party's talking points.
...verbatim. :applaud

We could say the same about Cruz, Bachmann, Santoruim, Gebhart, McCain, Palin, Graham, oh hell it is a long list on both sides!!

Pelosi never fails to amaze me. How someone with so obviously a lack of comprehension of the real world can actually be re-elected, and permitted to speak.

Apparently those who re-elect her suffer from the same delusional condition.

I really wish someone would tell her how life for the working person really is.

Pelosi never fails to amaze me. How someone with so obviously a lack of comprehension of the real world can actually be re-elected, and permitted to speak.

she was a better speaker of the house then john boehner.

This isn't about Boehner. Not that I have any warm fuzzy feelings for him either.

Pelosi just opens her mouth and lets whatever fall out.

The Republicans are at least belatedly starting to listen, at least some of them. The Republicans have controlled the house for a grand total of twelve of the last 82 years and the Senate and house for ten and yet everything that is wrong with this country is the fault of Republicans. The Housing bubble began in 1948. Created by the Democrats under Truman.
The Republicans Have never had a filibuster proof Senate.

The majority of Dems in the Senate are so totally out of touch with working people and the poor that they don't even begin to understand the situation.

Please tell me how the Republicans are supposed accomplish anything when everything they pass is stonewalled in committee by Harry Reed? What the only way to accomplish anything is to go along with letting the Democrats funnel more money to Obama campaign bundlers so they can stuff more taxpayer dollars back into the democrat's war chest?

I love how people determine good and bad by party affiliation.... it amuses me.
( they're both dolts... neither is worth spit)

anyways, I ignore Pelosi.
her talking about a 40 work week, holding a job, working for a living, or anything having to do with the private sector economy.. is like me talking about neurosurgery... it's something I have no clue about and have never experienced.
when I want to know about being a career Democrat and how to become extremely wealthy from being a lifetime politician.... I'll listen to her.

We could say the same about Cruz, Bachmann, Santoruim, Gebhart, McCain, Palin, Graham, oh hell it is a long list on both sides!!

how original.. a liberal unwilling to comment on a democrat, but perfectly willing to rattle off a list of Republicans they don't like....we've never seen that before:roll:

You have to know her district. They eat that scheit up.

I lived most of my life about a half hour away. I know it all-too-well.

"...losing that 40-hour work week will really free Americans to “pursue your happiness … follow your passion.”
Sure... if I had the money to do it.

Pelosi: Obamacare Killing the 40 Hour workweek means more time to follow your p

Of course it will "create" jobs, because most everyone will have hours cut almost in half, so it will "create" a job to offset for all the time lost on a per person basis.

Actually, she is right about that, but I think it is wrong to blame Obamacare. We need less manhours of work due to technology increases, so what constitutes full time should be lowered while providing people with the pay to live their lives because they keep a business workeing and serving others allowing for profit. Eventually people are going to have to realize the forty hour work week was set up in times of heavy industrialization where people were doing most of the work. The reality is that if the 40 hour work week were to be cut to thirty hours then you would see financial pressure to hire more workers and create more jobs. Something would have to be done about the minimum hourly wage in order to compensate also, but salaried workers would find themselves with more time.

That is not a terribly outrageous statement when you think about it a little more than I hate pelosi and everything that falls out of her mouth because faux news told me to.

Hacksaw.jpg

A ****in' Men

The same for any of the bible thumpers there. Most of them spout that ancient nonsense for political purposes and no other.

Back
Top Bottom