• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi: Impeachment is 'divisive' but colleague's coarse language no worse than Trump's

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
WASHINGTON — Newly elected Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi on Friday shied away from moving forward with impeachment at this time, calling it a "divisive" option and saying that the language used by one of her colleagues to describe President Trump was no "worse" than what he has said."I do think that we want to be unified and bring people together. Impeachment is a very divisive approach to take and we shouldn’t take it ... without the facts," Pelosi said during an MSNBC town hall at Trinity University in Washington, D.C., her alma mater.

Her comments came the morning after one of the newly elected members of Congress, Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Mich., told a progressive audience that Democrats are going to "impeach the motherf---er," using an expletive to refer to the president.
"I probably have a generational reaction to it," Pelosi said in reaction to Tlaib's comments, but added, "I'm not in the censorship business. I don't like that language, I wouldn't use that language, but I wouldn't establish language standards for my colleagues."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/pelosi-impeachment-divisive-colleague-s-course-language-no-worse-trump-n954696

Wow!....Just take it in for a second....This is what we are headed for....Foul language, outright lying about intentions, overall divisive, and vitriolic behavior. And the new speaker condoning it by not curtailing it....Congratulations Democrats, this is what your new majority brings to our Congress....

Wow!....Just take it in for a second....This is what we are headed for....Foul language, outright lying about intentions, overall divisive, and vitriolic behavior. And the new speaker condoning it by not curtailing it....Congratulations Democrats, this is what your new majority brings to our Congress....

It's so cute after two years of Trump's attacks, insults, lies, and corruption you guys think you have a leg to stand on for anything. Everything you have just complained about are things you guys have excused with Trump.

Actually, she's in the minority of the party using language like that, and Democratic leadership has spoken out on record against her statement. But then, no one thinks your posts are credible anyway, right?

And I agree with all the above. Watching j-mac attack Democrats based on one provocative attack on Trump...that's just hilarious. Buckle-up buttercup, it's just getting started.

You cannot be serious...

OMG! Some newbie demorat is playing the Trump card now?

The hypocrisy you display is so cute.

Oh, dear. You seem to have overlooked the language of the republican Overlord and Savior, and are compelled to dishonestly assert that this is what the 'new majority' brings when, in fact, it's only two people.;

Here, let me help you out with that:

There is no way any politician can be lower in class than Trump.

Democrats: Hold our beer.

You've had two years to complain about Trumps constant incivility. Not a peep out of you. You'll get no sympathy from me.

Yep, but double standards are still standards. ;)

Most ignored question of 2017 and 2018 to trump supporters: "How low would Trump have to go in order to lose your support?"

It's not about double standards; we're still waiting for trump supporters to have standards.

Yep, but double standards are still standards. ;)

I have no double standards here....In fact, while I will openly admit that Trump's language, and style is abrasive, and the language he uses at times, (though I don't think while in office) is unbecoming, and coarse, it is no excuse for others to be just as gutter prone....You and the other libs are in effect using the "Johnny did it too" excuse....Something I wouldn't accept from a 4 year old.

LOL! Look at you! The pot calling the kettle black. Foul language, outright lying, divisive vitriol and behavior. You Orange God has been doing ALL those things and more to heights never seen or even been dreamed of before for the past 2 years. And NOW all of sudden you say you find that kind of behavior to be offensive? Jesus! What the hell took so long for that to happen?

She didn't lie about her intentions. There will be no impeachment hearings until at least Mueller issues a report, and then we'll know and can evaluate Pelosi's decision to have hearings or not at that point, with full information.

As to curtailing speech, what do you suggest? A formal censure from the House? She's a freshman who already has approximately no power, so stripping her of the 0 power she wields won't do much good, and you quoted Pelosi saying she disagreed with the use of that kind of language. Seems entirely....appropriate to me.

I have no double standards here....In fact, while I will openly admit that Trump's language, and style is abrasive, and the language he uses at times, (though I don't think while in office) is unbecoming, and coarse, it is no excuse for others to be just as gutter prone....You and the other libs are in effect using the "Johnny did it too" excuse....Something I wouldn't accept from a 4 year old.

That's nonsense - you quoted Pelosi disapproving of that kind of language. What's funny to us is Trump lemmings whining about incivility, and being all PC. Do you want trigger warnings before reading such words?

Then this is your opportunity to amend this part in your opening post from...

"This is what we are headed for....foul language..."

to

"This is what we're continuing...foul language like trump regularly used..."

Most ignored question of 2017 and 2018 to trump supporters: "How low would Trump have to go in order to lose your support?"

It's not about double standards; we're still waiting for trump supporters to have standards.

Trump never had my support (vote) but is our POTUS none the less. I am far more upset with the complete failure of congress to do their jobs and pass a 'budget' before the start of the fiscal year. Bickering over "what happened" or some $3.4B of additional deficit spending while the government is (partially) shut down is moronic.

So you approve of how little civility is left in politics?

I think civility in politics is the least of our problems, but if that one statement from a freshman congress person is meant to magically be equated with the kind of civility Trump has been the harbinger of...

It’s yet another example of Trumpites false equivocation.

Before I’d fix civility in politics, I’d fix money in politics, politicians, in cahoots with their corporate and rich donors are sucking the country dry and ****ing over the average joe everyday, I couldn’t care less how they talk about it while they do it, what they’re doing is uglier than anything they could possibly say.

OK, cite the (many?) threads that have you started condemning Trump's "unbecoming" language and abrasive style? Crickets...

Then this is your opportunity to amend this part in your opening post from...

"This is what we are headed for....foul language..."

to

"This is what we're continuing...foul language like trump regularly used..."

If that makes you feel better then sure....Look, in posting this, and knowing Trump's past, I knew exactly what I was in for from liberals in here...But, in all seriousness, is this the course we want to take?

Back
Top Bottom