• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi: Democrats Are Not Going To Fund Trump's "Immoral" Border Wall

j-mac

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA), who is slated to become the next speaker of the House, called a border wall "immoral, ineffective, and expensive" and promised it will not be funded at a press conference Thursday.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/12/06/pelosi_democrats_are_not_going_to_fund_trumps_immoral_border_wall.html

In today's nearly daily shocking statements here is another that makes average Americans shake their heads in wonder....

What exactly is "immoral" about wanting to construct a wall on our border to protect it from illegal entry?

In today's nearly daily shocking statements here is another that makes average Americans shake their heads in wonder....

What exactly is "immoral" about wanting to construct a wall on our border to protect it from illegal entry?

It's not right to many of us to build a huge wall that will not fully solve our long term problems with immigration and drugs.

To fix a problem you need to get to the root of the problem, no? It's good to have border control yes but we don't need a wall for that. People are coming here for work and to get benefits and then there's trafficking. Focus more on cutting down on those problems internally and the foot traffic would decrease so border patrol would be more effective.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out. Trump argues its immoral not to build a wall
And Pelosi argues it is immoral to build a wall. If Trump refuses to sign a bill without wall funding who will the public side with?

I am personally hoping for a shutdown and the national debate that will come with it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It's not right to many of us to build a huge wall that will not fully solve our long term problems with immigration and drugs.

To fix a problem you need to get to the root of the problem, no? It's good to have border control yes but we don't need a wall for that. People are coming here for work and to get benefits and then there's trafficking. Focus more on cutting down on those problems internally and the foot traffic would decrease so border patrol would be more effective.
What fully solves the problem?

The idea that physical barriers (walls or fences) are immoral and as such should not be used as part of a border security system is lunacy of the highest order. The fact that both Pelosi and Schumer were ready, willing and able to trade funding for the Great Wall Of Trump in exchange for (expanded?) DACA/DAPA but later withdrew that offer when more immigration law "reform" planks were added to "the deal" should be a huge clue as to their true fellings of a wall's "morality".

What fully solves the problem?

We might be too deep to actually fully solve anything at this point but at least doing the right logical things would be a step in the right direction. A wall is not. Going after employers, cutting welfare benefits, and taking a good hard look at our drug policies seems like a better step than wasting money on a wall. Getting people/drugs over here is a big business and what's the point of a wall when they will just build tunnels or get ladders to go over?

If trump wants to fund his wall he can do it the way he proposed countless times already: get Mexico to pay for it.

We do lots of things in government that do not "fully solve our long term problems" - probably most of what government does don't fully solve the problem.

We might be too deep to actually fully solve anything at this point but at least doing the right logical things would be a step in the right direction. A wall is not. Going after employers, cutting welfare benefits, and taking a good hard look at our drug policies seems like a better step than wasting money on a wall. Getting people/drugs over here is a big business and what's the point of a wall when they will just build tunnels or get ladders to go over?
But that's not what you initially argued. You said we should not build the wall because it wont fully solve the problem. By your standard we should not fo any of the things you suggested either because none of those things fully solve the problem.

There isn't a single solution because it isnt a single problem. Its several problems contributing to it. There is s variety of reasons that people want to live here.

We need many tyles of barriers to get the problem under control. Including some that you suggested and the wall

Morning Americanwoman,

I see what you are saying, but, I would say that the dream of anything "comprehensive" or all inclusive is a pipe dream at this time....Neither side trusts each other when it comes to fulfilling their promises made in the legislation that would be drafted for that kind of deal...So, many like me think that this problem should be broken up to solve it piece by piece...The wall, while you may think it a waste of money, is not to many, and in the grand scheme of things the cost as compared to other things in the government is minuscule....So, the opposition to it is purely political...

But, my question was in that Pelosi used the term "immoral", I think that is the wrong message to send....I don't see any President wanting to cut down on illegal immigration, or protection of our borders, as "immoral"....

We do lots of things in government that do not "fully solve our long term problems" - probably most of what government does don't fully solve the problem.

True but if we want to at least start to solve our long term problems it's not wise to start with building and maintaining a huge wall. That's only going to increase our problems.

I am in favor of a digital frontier rather than a physical wall; and if you want to keep people from looking for work in the US, hammer the people that employ them.

But that's not what you initially argued. You said we should not build the wall because it wont fully solve the problem. By your standard we should not fo any of the things you suggested either because none of those things fully solve the problem.

There isn't a single solution because it isnt a single problem. Its several problems contributing to it. There is s variety of reasons that people want to live here.

We need many tyles of barriers to get the problem under control. Including some that you suggested and the wall

My bad, I really should have started with "it's not even a good step in the right direction to start to solve our long term problems"

That's a fair point, if you are suggesting things to solve a problem, you don't start with the most expensive and illogical idea.

The root cause of easy illegal border crossings is precisely the lack of adequate US border security. Thousands who have been deported have easily been able to return. The most obvious way of identifying illegal immigrants is to issue all US citizens and legal immigrants tamper proof (resistant?) IDs (the basic idea behind the Real ID act) and a close second is to demand eVerify use for rights and privileges - work (including tax deductions/refunds), medical care, education, voting and any "safety net" assistance.

Any nation which refuses to accept the return (including reimbursement for the cost) of their deported citizens should be barred from having any of their citizens be legally able to enter the US.

Morning Americanwoman,

I see what you are saying, but, I would say that the dream of anything "comprehensive" or all inclusive is a pipe dream at this time....Neither side trusts each other when it comes to fulfilling their promises made in the legislation that would be drafted for that kind of deal...So, many like me think that this problem should be broken up to solve it piece by piece...The wall, while you may think it a waste of money, is not to many, and in the grand scheme of things the cost as compared to other things in the government is minuscule....So, the opposition to it is purely political...

But, my question was in that Pelosi used the term "immoral", I think that is the wrong message to send....I don't see any President wanting to cut down on illegal immigration, or protection of our borders, as "immoral"....

Good morning j-mac,

I am not really sure on the "immoral" part. I don't think a wall in the sense we are talking about is something America should stand for. To me, what America stands for does not include walls between our neighboring countries like that and since we have much better ways to solve our immigration and drug problems, we should start with those first.

To take it one step further, if the left believe the wall is a waste of time and money and will not work, then what exactly is "immoral" about it?

The root cause of easy illegal border crossings is precisely the lack of adequate US border security. Thousands who have been deported have easily been able to return. The most obvious way of identifying illegal immigrants is to issue all US citizens and legal immigrants tamper proof (resistant?) IDs (the basic idea behind the Real ID act) and a close second is to demand eVerify use for rights and privileges - work (including tax deductions/refunds), medical care, education, voting and any "safety net" assistance.

Any nation which refuses to accept the return (including reimbursement for the cost) of their deported citizens should be barred from having any of their citizens be legally able to enter the US.

Do you think a wall would really deter those people who have easily returned before in a significant way? Your ideas, while I may not fully agree with them, would at least be a more logical approach than starting with building a wall.

True but if we want to at least start to solve our long term problems it's not wise to start with building and maintaining a huge wall. That's only going to increase our problems.
Problem is, most of our representatives, despite what they may tell voters, don't want to solve this. We can pass even more legislation that gets ignored, or we can do something tangible.

To take it one step further, if the left believe the wall is a waste of time and money and will not work, then what exactly is "immoral" about it?

Easiest answer: our infrastructure needs to be repaired and upgraded, and our health and education services need to be funded. Diverting one dollar to a wall is immoral when things people actually benefit from are neglected.

My bad, I really should have started with "it's not even a good step in the right direction to start to solve our long term problems"

That's a fair point, if you are suggesting things to solve a problem, you don't start with the most expensive and illogical idea.
I dont agree with you about the wall but I respect that you feel that way. Many people felt that everyone who is here illegally (including daca) should be rounded up and deported. Compromises and concessions are going to need to be made by both sides or this can turn much uglier than it needs to be.

The only way your plan will work is if we cut down on the fact that these people are better off in the US than in their other countries. Let's destroy America and turn it into sh!thole country and then they won't want to come here. Brilliant idea. As long as people are better off here, they will continue to come here illegally.

It won't work, it would be immoral to waste that much money when real solutions could be funded.

Problem is, most of our representatives, despite what they may tell voters, don't want to solve this. We can pass even more legislation that gets ignored, or we can do something tangible.

I don't think building a wall is tangible, it's just going to be something concrete instead of legislation that's just going to be ignored.

If trump wants to fund his wall he can do it the way he proposed countless times already: get Mexico to pay for it.

The wall will actually pay for itself because the people that it stops will save the money we would have spent on them for both processing and government benefits.

Back
Top Bottom