• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pelosi defends election results: 'It was a great victory'

While the often reality-challenged Donald Trump may be leaving Washington, we'll still have Nancy.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday defended the Democrats' underperformance at the polls this year, arguing that voter turnout for House Democrats — because it surpassed that for President Trump — marked "a great victory" for the party despite the loss of seats in the lower chamber.
"Did you know that House Democrats got nearly 2 million more votes than Donald Trump?" she asked reporters in the Capitol. "Everybody turned out and it was a great victory — a mandate."

I was gonna ask if Trump could please take Pelosi with her, but Pelosi is very useful as an impediment to the far left taking over the D party. If that happened, I'd have to dismiss BOTH parties as frothing lunatics.

I was gonna ask if Trump could please take Pelosi with her, but Pelosi is very useful as an impediment to the far left taking over the D party. If that happened, I'd have to dismiss BOTH parties as frothing lunatics.
You must be a neoliberal.

That is an excellent point.

Though of late I think she's been caught like the squirrel in the middle of the road. She's softened a bit over the last two years re the far left, trying to have it both ways, and I don't think it's helped her.

That is an excellent point.

Though of late I think she's been caught like the squirrel in the middle of the road. She's softened a bit over the last two years re the far left, trying to have it both ways, and I don't think it's helped her.
Politics is such a dirty business that I have trouble evaluating what does or doesn't help any pol. But she definitely has to try to keep two very different wings of the party unified.

Politics is such a dirty business that I have trouble evaluating what does or doesn't help any pol. But she definitely has to try to keep two very different wings of the party unified.
I agree she's had that dilema. With the benefit of hindsight, I don't think she managed it well. The country had had enough of Trump. The Democrats should have been able to ride that wave to gains in the House much like they did in 2008 when the country was tired of GWB. Both she and the DNC were too unwilling to tamp down the rhetoric of the far left, and their candidates and purpose states paid the price.

I don't see The Squad et al getting less vociferous, so they'll have the same problem heading in to 2022 along with the drag a party in charge of the White House always has in their first mid-term election (think 2018 and 2010). Much can happen in two years, but the GOP has a real chance at winning back the House in 2022.

While the often reality-challenged Donald Trump may be leaving Washington, we'll still have Nancy.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) on Friday defended the Democrats' underperformance at the polls this year, arguing that voter turnout for House Democrats — because it surpassed that for President Trump — marked "a great victory" for the party despite the loss of seats in the lower chamber.
"Did you know that House Democrats got nearly 2 million more votes than Donald Trump?" she asked reporters in the Capitol. "Everybody turned out and it was a great victory — a mandate."

Pelosi needs to be kicked out and replaced by a younger and more assertive (in a positive way) than Pelosi. She may have been a good leader once, but no longer is.

Pelosi needs to be kicked out and replaced by a younger and more assertive (in a positive way) than Pelosi. She may have been a good leader once, but no longer is.
I’m hoping some Republicans start a movement to draft Ilhan Omar for speaker then give her the votes then kick back with some beers and watch the fun.

I’m hoping some Republicans start a movement to draft Ilhan Omar for speaker then give her the votes then kick back with some beers and watch the fun.
Rs do revel in sowing disagreement, then kicking back and blaming the ensuing chaos on Ds. Nice folks to share a country with.

Rs do revel in sowing disagreement, then kicking back and blaming the ensuing chaos on Ds. Nice folks to share a country with.
Ds openly want chaos to impose their radical agenda. The Portland riots could’ve been crushed on night 1 but they were not.

It was a win, but it wasn't a 'great victory' but I suppose she has to sell it to keep her position.
I am quite sure she was referring mostly to the WH. It was the greatest victory in American history. We got rid of a dangerous moron.

I am quite sure she was referring mostly to the WH. It was the greatest victory in American history. We got rid of a dangerous moron.

Well, she literally said House Democrats, but I do agree it was a great victory getting Blob the Builder voted out.

It’s obvious Democrats don’t understand the difference between a gross victory and a net victory.

Baloney. Democrats certainly do understand the difference. Look at the Senate side - nobody is denying the pickup of two seats on the same day they lost Alabama equals s net pickup of one seat.

As far as partisan conduct goes, a politician spinning a close victory as a "great victory" is pretty low on the totem poll.

Baloney. Democrats certainly do understand the difference. Look at the Senate side - nobody is denying the pickup of two seats on the same day they lost Alabama equals s net pickup of one seat.
This thread’s on the House, where Democrats had a net loss. As for the Senate, that was quite the underwhelming performance. State legislatures were a net loss.

It was a great victory....except the part where you LOST House seats!

We still have the House. And we've picked up at least one Senate seat, too. Funny how y'all don't talk about that...

This thread’s on the House, where Democrats had a net loss. As for the Senate, that was quite the underwhelming performance. State legislatures were a net loss.

The post is about what Democrats know or don't know. I was responding directly to that.

always the low road, why don't you concentrate on that crap show called the republican leadership and then the democrats will concentrate on their own crap show.

We still have the House. And we've picked up at least one Senate seat, too. Funny how y'all don't talk about that...

The GOP has gained +10 seats in the house, and will most likely maintain the majority in the Senate. What's there to talk about, except the blue wave didn't really happen? Purple democrats in the house will fold on sensitive topics .. e.g. gun control.

As far as partisan conduct goes, a politician spinning a close victory as a "great victory" is pretty low on the totem poll.
I think both parties have been digging at the totem's underground foundation for some time now.

Back
Top Bottom