• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi blames Bush administration for BP oil spill

No, sorry, you did not show that deregulation was the cause of the oil spill.

Tell us, if the regulators gave you a signed affidavit that they didn't enforce regulations, allowing BP to cut corners wherever they wanted without fear of being caught, would you believe that?

Yes I did show why deregulation was the cause, and effect ie t people have to be either blind as too what is going on, or the fact you think that the companies look out for us which is not the case at all.

However the reason deregulation was the cause is because they thought cutting cost was more important than obeying the rules set before them. In other words, not wanting to follow the rules, and then trying too self regulated themselves by saying we can do better than the government. In case and point they were wrong in that retrospect as the failed to obey any rules, and only cared about their profits, and this is what caused the Oil spill.

Bp was one of the many who protest saying it cost to much to do this Shutoff valve thing, and it was the thing that was need to stop this blow out in the first place. In conclusion, self regulation doesn't work, nor does deregulating industries.

Reefedjib sociopath entities are group like entities that don't care, or have emotions about people which companies only care about money not people, or the lives they damage in the process of doing something wrong.

Last edited:
You in no way showed that deregulation was the cause of the spill.

Yes I did show this as a matter of fact. However your refusal seems to indicate that you think deregulation wasn't the cause, so you are biased in this retrospect.

Yes I did show why the deregulation was the cause, and effect ie that people have to be either blind as too what is going on, or the fact you think that the companies look out for us which is not the case at all.

Now that, that is out of the way. Why don't you submit some real evidence to back up your claims that....

You do know it was because of his deregulation, and the fact the people in charge were taken kick backs during his watch right?RyrineaHaruno

All you have done so far is twist and squirm.

You have yet to reply to even one of the posts challenging you and your accusations. We know why, but I am giving you one last chance.

Last edited:
Yes I did show this as a matter of fact.

This is a lie. You have shown nothing that says deregulation caused the spill, period.

You have also shown zero in that Bush appointees were taking kickbacks.

Still waiting for ANYONE to show some proof to back up any of this ridicules accusation.

However your refusal seems to indicate that you think deregulation wasn't the cause, so you are biased in this retrospect. <--- :lol:
WOW!, just wow. :shock:

Last edited:
Tell us, if the regulators gave you a signed affidavit that they didn't enforce regulations, allowing BP to cut corners wherever they wanted without fear of being caught, would you believe that?

AP pressed MMS for an explanation of why the rules were changed, but no official would speak on the record. However, one MMS official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official wasn't authorized to discuss the matter said the rules were changed because some elements were impractical for some deepwater drilling projects in the Gulf.

But Wiygul said: "The MMS can't change the law just by telling people that they don't have to comply with it. I think it really indicates that somebody at MMS was asleep at the switch on this."

Speaking with reporters after touring a boom operation in Gulf Shores, Ala., Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said that he understood that BP was required to file plans for coping with a blowout at the well that failed.
- The Associated Press: AP IMPACT: Rule change helped BP on Gulf project

I would, but how does this have anything to do with Bush or deregulation? According to the Associated press article it was the MMS and NOT deregulation or the Bush administration in any way.

Last edited:
The incestuous relationship between the MMS and Big Oil has been very well documented.

Interior Dept. scandal: Sex, drugs, energy deals probed at Denver office - The Denver Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/09/10/AR2008091001829.html

From the EPA to the Department of the Interior to the SEC, the Neo-Con answer to their distain for government regulation was to put industry people into key positions; the proverbial fox in charge of the hen house. This lax approach to regulation set the environment for this disaster.

The Macondo Prospect, where this disaster occurred, was leased in March 2009. Yes, that is during the Obama administration, but only six weeks into it. The culture / standards by which leases were evaluated and approved were established by the Bush Administration. Perhaps Obama should have placed a moritorium on all new oil leases while they re-staffed the MMS... perhaps that is what you are arguing, as that is the only thing Obama has his fingerprints on regarding the granting of this lease.

Macondo Prospect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry, but the Bush Administration was a very bad presidency. From the economy to the general corruption in many key departments of government, he left a mess. If you are proud of his overall results I suggest you are either intellectually dishonest, not paying attention or want an America that is inconsistent with its 225 or so years of history. The Republicans are suppose to be about personal responsibility, except when its time for they to take that responsibility..... Bush, frankly, hasn't received enough blame for our current state of affairs.

That all said, I am not overly impressed with Obama's take charge post-disaster. Any screw-ups in the disaster mitigation (capping and clean-up), are his fault. But the fact we have a disaster, is a reflection of the lack of governmental oversight of our off-shore oil & gas drilling activities. This culture is from the previous administration.

Last edited:
The incestuous relationship between the MMS and Big Oil has been very well documented.

Interior Dept. scandal: Sex, drugs, energy deals probed at Denver office - The Denver Post

Report Says Oil Agency Ran Amok - washingtonpost.com

From the EPA to the Department of the Interior to the SEC, the Neo-Con answer to their distain for government regulation was to put industry people into key positions; the proverbial fox in charge of the hen house. This lax approach to regulation set the environment for this disaster.

The Macondo Prospect, where this disaster occurred, was leased in March 2009. Yes, that is during the Obama administration, but only six weeks into it. The culture / standards by which leases were evaluated and approved were established by the Bush Administration. Perhaps Obama should have placed a moritorium on all new oil leases while they re-staffed the MMS... perhaps that is what you are arguing, as that is the only thing Obama has his fingerprints on regarding the granting of this lease.

Macondo Prospect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sorry, but the Bush Administration was a very bad presidency. From the economy to the general corruption in many key departments of government, he left a mess. If you are proud of his overall results I suggest you are either intellectually dishonest, not paying attention or want an America that is inconsistent with its 225 or so years of history. The Republicans are suppose to be about personal responsibility, except when its time for they to take that responsibility..... Bush, frankly, hasn't received enough blame for our current state of affairs.

That all said, I am not overly impressed with Obama's take charge post-disaster. Any screw-ups in the disaster mitigation (capping and clean-up), are his fault. But the fact we have a disaster, is a reflection of the lack of governmental oversight of our off-shore oil & gas drilling activities. This culture is from the previous administration.

I agree that poor over site by the Bush administration of MMS contributed to this being allowed to happen as far as the emergency response went. BP had no plan. The disaster itself however was again not caused by deregulation, as Pelosi would have us think. She also accused Bush appointees of taking kickbacks. No proof offered mind you, just an accusation.

So in the end Bush and company can take some of the blame for certain. But to accuse the former administration of bribery and direct responsibility for the disaster is irresponsible at best and a lie at worst.

Last edited:
What is a sociopathic entity?

A sociopathic entity is one that has no empathy with regards to other individuals. They lack the ability to empathize with the harm others go through. Businesses are sociopathic in this regard because the goal of a business in a capitalist society is to gain the most profit at the least cost at any means. This includes such things as using child labor, permitting unsafe work conditions, unsanitary equipment, forcing long hours of work without breaks, etc. This is all despite the harm such practices are to the employees, the customers, and the environment.

So in order to protect employees, customers, the environment, and the general populace, the government may use regulations against certain business practices. This reduces the harm by businesses rather than increases it.

My issue is that a government in the business of regulating individuals or businesses creates its own harm. More harm than would be committed by businesses free to operate. Government regulation creates regulatory frameworks which raise the barrier to entry for new businesses, thereby favoring large corporations. The meaningless documentary requirements create bureaucracy. All that is needed is to ensure that when a company does cause a problem, they have to pay for it.

Well, some industries, such as the oil industry, is going to favor large corporations anyways simply because of the costs of running such an oil company is too great for a small business to pursue. Despite that, a barrier for new businesses is no excuse for deregulation; if a new, small business cannot afford to make sure they are operating under safe work conditions, they don't deserve to be in business anyways. Instead of deregulating industries that can cause such a great amount of harm to people and our environment, and thus cause harm to the people who rely on the environment for their own economic gain (in the case of the Gulf oil spill, this is the fishermen who fish off the coast and the beach hotels who rely on tourists, and then factor in all the businesses those industries support, such as restaurants, boat sellers, swimsuit stores, stores where tourists shop) then they should go into an industry that requires fewer regulations.

So there's a lot of ancillary costs to the oil spill that's more than just the clean up. There's also the loss of revenue to businesses in that area as well. Are we going to make BP pay for that as well?

And tell me, why not be pro-active in prevention of industrial accidents instead of paying even more money later when an accident does occur? After all, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," and a couple of million dollars spent for regulatory practices is worth the billions lost to the regional economy.

EDIT: Note that I'm not being critical of our capitalist system. I believe that there are some industries that are better when they're nationalized and that there are some industries that are better when they are privatized. However, for our private industries, I think they need to be regulated to ensure safe work conditions and have the infrastructure in place for response plans in case an accident should happen.

Personally, I am not against off-shore drilling. Rather, I'm against unsafe off-shore drilling. Which is why I want off-shore drilling to continue but more and better regulations put into to place to prevent accidents like the Gulf oil spill to occur again.

Last edited:
Thank you much for your thoughtful reply, Sam. I'll try to answer in kind.

A sociopathic entity is one that has no empathy with regards to other individuals. They lack the ability to empathize with the harm others go through. Businesses are sociopathic in this regard because the goal of a business in a capitalist society is to gain the most profit at the least cost at any means. This includes such things as using child labor, permitting unsafe work conditions, unsanitary equipment, forcing long hours of work without breaks, etc. This is all despite the harm such practices are to the employees, the customers, and the environment.

Like people themselves, I think that there is a range of empathy on the part of companies. Some businesses are cut throat and just want to maximize profits no matter the cost. Others are more sensitive and see themselves as a part of the broader community - they want to make a profit, but are concerned about the cost to employees, customers, and yes, environment.

At first glance, the smaller the firm the more empathetic it might be you would think. However, I have worked for multinationals where the local office is concerned about local impacts. IBM is a good example of this kind of company.

I am in agreement that regulation to prevent child labor, to prevent unsafe work conditions, to prevent unsanitary equipment, to prevent long hours of work without breaks are all beneficial to the people and the companies. You included an "etc" in your list and that is where I have an issue. How much is enough?

So in order to protect employees, customers, the environment, and the general populace, the government may use regulations against certain business practices. This reduces the harm by businesses rather than increases it.

We need to be aware that implementing regulations also adds harm to our system. It restricts the free market. As I agreed above, for things like you listed, this harm from regulation is reasonable. My entire point is that if unchecked, this harm can be ominous and destructive to the free market.

Well, some industries, such as the oil industry, is going to favor large corporations anyways simply because of the costs of running such an oil company is too great for a small business to pursue. Despite that, a barrier for new businesses is no excuse for deregulation; if a new, small business cannot afford to make sure they are operating under safe work conditions, they don't deserve to be in business anyways. Instead of deregulating industries that can cause such a great amount of harm to people and our environment, and thus cause harm to the people who rely on the environment for their own economic gain (in the case of the Gulf oil spill, this is the fishermen who fish off the coast and the beach hotels who rely on tourists, and then factor in all the businesses those industries support, such as restaurants, boat sellers, swimsuit stores, stores where tourists shop) then they should go into an industry that requires fewer regulations.

As long as regulation is for the purpose of ensuring companies operating under safe work conditions, I don't have much of a problem, although I would expect the regulatory requirements to be efficient and not ominous.

So there's a lot of ancillary costs to the oil spill that's more than just the clean up. There's also the loss of revenue to businesses in that area as well. Are we going to make BP pay for that as well?

No. This represents business risk for those companies and they will have to weather the storm.

And tell me, why not be pro-active in prevention of industrial accidents instead of paying even more money later when an accident does occur? After all, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," and a couple of million dollars spent for regulatory practices is worth the billions lost to the regional economy.

Of course, the issue is that offshore drilling is not a well-established common place industrial operation. It is a inherently risky endeavor. No amount of regulation will remove that risk and more accidents like this will occur in the future. It does seem like BP may have been non-standard (is there a standard that is effective?) with their BOP and when they detected rising pressure they were unable to contain it. Whether some of the regulatory proposals would have effectively prevented the blowout is unknown.

EDIT: Note that I'm not being critical of our capitalist system. I believe that there are some industries that are better when they're nationalized and that there are some industries that are better when they are privatized. However, for our private industries, I think they need to be regulated to ensure safe work conditions and have the infrastructure in place for response plans in case an accident should happen.

What industries do you think should be nationalized? I am generally against that, but we have education, police, fire, and transportation at least regionalized if not nationalized.

Personally, I am not against off-shore drilling. Rather, I'm against unsafe off-shore drilling. Which is why I want off-shore drilling to continue but more and better regulations put into to place to prevent accidents like the Gulf oil spill to occur again.

What are effective, better regulations?

Let's see. This was an executive branch policy implementation issue, not a legislative one. Americans changed the administration in 2008. But, of course, we were experiencing the worst financial meltdown in human history (Bush's legacy), GM and Chrysler were in free fall (Bush's legacy), America was conducting two unending wars (Bush's legacy), healthcare costs were increasing 30% per annum while 40-plus million Americans had no insurance whatsoever (Bush's legacy) and we had no comprehensive energy legislation since the 1970s (Bush's legacy). There's some blame for the Obama administration; they should have had the courage to stop all deep water drilling until sufficient regulatory controls had been reimposed on the industry. But, that industry had been given free rein under the Bush administration, and, yes, that's Bush's legacy, too.

Last I Recall being President doesnt make you CEO of a company. How is GM and Chrysler Bush's fault? How are healthcare costs Bush's fault?

Thank you much for your thoughtful reply, Sam. I'll try to answer in kind.

Thank you, both for the compliment and indeed replying thoughtfully.

Like people themselves, I think that there is a range of empathy on the part of companies. Some businesses are cut throat and just want to maximize profits no matter the cost. Others are more sensitive and see themselves as a part of the broader community - they want to make a profit, but are concerned about the cost to employees, customers, and yes, environment.

At first glance, the smaller the firm the more empathetic it might be you would think. However, I have worked for multinationals where the local office is concerned about local impacts. IBM is a good example of this kind of company.

I am in agreement that regulation to prevent child labor, to prevent unsafe work conditions, to prevent unsanitary equipment, to prevent long hours of work without breaks are all beneficial to the people and the companies. You included an "etc" in your list and that is where I have an issue. How much is enough?

Honestly, it depends on the industry. I don't think all industries need to be regulated equally. Some industries deserve more regulations than others. I think off-shore drilling demands more regulations than others simply because of the environmental impact of their operations affect so many other industries should an accident occur.

We need to be aware that implementing regulations also adds harm to our system. It restricts the free market. As I agreed above, for things like you listed, this harm from regulation is reasonable. My entire point is that if unchecked, this harm can be ominous and destructive to the free market.

I have no problem with that, as I am not a free market purist. This is mostly because I don't think the free market factors in all the costs of a certain market.

This was mentioned in an episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher." One of the guests there was talking about how the U.S. relies on the Middle East for cheap oil. However, if you factor in the costs the U.S. has paid to go to war in Iraq, give foreign aid to Saudi Arabia, and all the support given to Israel to maintain a U.S. presence in the Middle East, the price the United States pays for in oil skyrockets.

So there are many ancillary costs to trade and commerce that we don't factor into the costs of those goods and services. For example, if we used only a tax on petroleum products to pay for our military and diplomatic operations in the Middle East, the price of oil would be so much that nobody would be able to buy it.

A less controversial analogy would be if we paid for the U.S Navy only with tariffs on imports and exports of maritime merchant activities to keep sea routes safe from piracy. If we did that, the costs of imports and exports would be so high the U.S. would rely only on domestic goods and services.

There's also the issue of the free market favoring large businesses over small businesses anyways, so regulations that inhibit small businesses entering an industry isn't really an argument anyways.

As long as regulation is for the purpose of ensuring companies operating under safe work conditions, I don't have much of a problem, although I would expect the regulatory requirements to be efficient and not ominous.

Again, I think which particular regulations apply depends on the industry. For off-shore drilling, I think regulations that reduce their environmental impact, especially with regards to accidental spill, are necessary. This is because their environmental impact is so huge.

No. This represents business risk for those companies and they will have to weather the storm.

But those smaller businesses don't really have the means to weather the storm. BP is going to survive this, as oil is such an important energy commodity. However, the tourism industry, which is a major industry of the Gulf coast, will be decimated by the oil spill. Nobody is going to want to visit the Gulf coast beaches covered in oil. That means fewer tourist dollars going into those areas paying for hotels, restaurants, bars, and clubs. That means fewer suppliers for those major tourist support businesses. That means those businesses which supports the suppliers lose economic viability.

I don't see why we can't regulate a "tent pole" industry, such as the off-shore drilling industry, whose actions have such a high degree of impact on other industries, especially those unrelated to it, such as the tourist and fishing industries of the Gulf coast with regards to the spill. Especially when the economic impact of all those smaller markets is greater than a single individual large market.

Of course, the issue is that offshore drilling is not a well-established common place industrial operation. It is a inherently risky endeavor. No amount of regulation will remove that risk and more accidents like this will occur in the future. It does seem like BP may have been non-standard (is there a standard that is effective?) with their BOP and when they detected rising pressure they were unable to contain it. Whether some of the regulatory proposals would have effectively prevented the blowout is unknown.

I understand that we're never going to remove all risk. What I want to do is minimize risk. And I think that certain things, such as requiring acoustic regulators and having effective response plans ready and updated regularly, and the means to implement them rapidly, are necessary regulations for this particular industry.

What industries do you think should be nationalized? I am generally against that, but we have education, police, fire, and transportation at least regionalized if not nationalized.

Well, I really don't want to get off the topic of talking about the BP oil spill, but since you asked I'll answer. I believe in public health care, especially for children, for check-ups and prevention, for dentistry, for pre-natal and post-natal care, and for mental wellness and mental health care. I'd also like to expand public transportation as well. I don't want to get the thread off topic with that, though. I mostly mentioned that to say that while I am for to some industries operated by the government, I don't want the government to operate every industry.

What are effective, better regulations?

Like I said, the acoustic regulator for one. For another, requiring empty tankers that are in the region to immediately respond and vacuum the oil from the ocean. Emergency response plans updated on a regular basis done jointly with the government.

Those are a few I've thought of off the top of my head, but to be honest with you, I would really have to study the regulations of other countries that allow off-shore drilling and see how they operate before I can really give an informed answer.

Thank you, both for the compliment and indeed replying thoughtfully.

If we keep this up they are going to ban us for having a civil disagreement! :roll:

You have made several good points and they are interspersed to a degree. I am going to take the liberty of rearranging the order of your answers to try to consolidate responses.

Honestly, it depends on the industry. I don't think all industries need to be regulated equally. Some industries deserve more regulations than others. I think off-shore drilling demands more regulations than others simply because of the environmental impact of their operations affect so many other industries should an accident occur.

Again, I think which particular regulations apply depends on the industry. For off-shore drilling, I think regulations that reduce their environmental impact, especially with regards to accidental spill, are necessary. This is because their environmental impact is so huge.

I understand that we're never going to remove all risk. What I want to do is minimize risk. And I think that certain things, such as requiring acoustic regulators and having effective response plans ready and updated regularly, and the means to implement them rapidly, are necessary regulations for this particular industry.

Like I said, the acoustic regulator for one. For another, requiring empty tankers that are in the region to immediately respond and vacuum the oil from the ocean. Emergency response plans updated on a regular basis done jointly with the government.

Those are a few I've thought of off the top of my head, but to be honest with you, I would really have to study the regulations of other countries that allow off-shore drilling and see how they operate before I can really give an informed answer.

I would like to see such disasters prevented if possible. If acoustic regulators help do this, they should be mandatory. Still it is exploratory and disasters happen. So the next step we agree is to be able to arrest the problem and effectively clean up. As an aside, I think we should consider using a nuke to seal the well, if it looks like it will leak til August. Stricter enforced regulation is not unreasonable.

The broader question of the role of regulation in our economy, society, government is that it be for safety and be reasonable. I say only for safety as I don't wish to see regulation used to "level the playing field" in any sense. I say be reasonable since we don't want to unduly burden business - we want a business friendly environment so that they can be created and thrive.

My core question to you, now, is is there such a thing as too much regulation? How do we determine where that point is, industry to industry?

I have no problem with that, as I am not a free market purist. This is mostly because I don't think the free market factors in all the costs of a certain market.

This was mentioned in an episode of "Real Time with Bill Maher." One of the guests there was talking about how the U.S. relies on the Middle East for cheap oil. However, if you factor in the costs the U.S. has paid to go to war in Iraq, give foreign aid to Saudi Arabia, and all the support given to Israel to maintain a U.S. presence in the Middle East, the price the United States pays for in oil skyrockets.

So there are many ancillary costs to trade and commerce that we don't factor into the costs of those goods and services. For example, if we used only a tax on petroleum products to pay for our military and diplomatic operations in the Middle East, the price of oil would be so much that nobody would be able to buy it.

A less controversial analogy would be if we paid for the U.S Navy only with tariffs on imports and exports of maritime merchant activities to keep sea routes safe from piracy. If we did that, the costs of imports and exports would be so high the U.S. would rely only on domestic goods and services.

I agree and it is very interesting. We ought to make costs realizable to business, especially environmental costs (like storage of spent nuclear fuel). However, some of the cost, especially the cost that applies equally to all businesses, should be shouldered by the government - the public - earmarked as establishing a friendly business environment. I would include military and diplomatic operations in the Middle East as well as the U.S. Navy's efforts to establish safe sea lanes.

There's also the issue of the free market favoring large businesses over small businesses anyways, so regulations that inhibit small businesses entering an industry isn't really an argument anyways.

How does the free market favor large businesses?

But those smaller businesses don't really have the means to weather the storm. BP is going to survive this, as oil is such an important energy commodity. However, the tourism industry, which is a major industry of the Gulf coast, will be decimated by the oil spill. Nobody is going to want to visit the Gulf coast beaches covered in oil. That means fewer tourist dollars going into those areas paying for hotels, restaurants, bars, and clubs. That means fewer suppliers for those major tourist support businesses. That means those businesses which supports the suppliers lose economic viability.

I don't see why we can't regulate a "tent pole" industry, such as the off-shore drilling industry, whose actions have such a high degree of impact on other industries, especially those unrelated to it, such as the tourist and fishing industries of the Gulf coast with regards to the spill. Especially when the economic impact of all those smaller markets is greater than a single individual large market.

There is no question that the impact of this disaster is huge. To those businesses, even though it is an industrial accident, it is as if it is a natural disaster. Whose effects could last decades. :(

Well, I really don't want to get off the topic of talking about the BP oil spill, but since you asked I'll answer. I believe in public health care, especially for children, for check-ups and prevention, for dentistry, for pre-natal and post-natal care, and for mental wellness and mental health care. I'd also like to expand public transportation as well. I don't want to get the thread off topic with that, though. I mostly mentioned that to say that while I am for to some industries operated by the government, I don't want the government to operate every industry.

I saved this to last! :2razz: I also don't want to hijack the thread with this but I have something further to say. The interesting thing about the industries I mentioned is that they are all local, not national. This fits the spirit of the 10th Amendment and the establishment of a Republic (although I am mixing an economic point with a political point). You mention public transportation, which is also local with some federal funding. Virginia needs a lot of funding for transportation into the future and it looks like a gas tax may be used. Regulation is important in these public corps (to tie it back into our discussion above).

However, on public health care (I include children, for check-ups and prevention, for dentistry, for pre-natal and post-natal care, and for mental wellness and mental health care), it is being promoted and is already - through Medicaid and Medicare - a national public industry. It ought to be local. And regulation would apply.

Last edited:
Right on, Speaker Pelosi! Conservative inspired gutting of our oil extraction regulatory framework has delivered us the worst environmental catastrophe in American history. Yes, this is yet another piece of George W. Bush's legacy.

Yayyyyyy, it's the Right's fault!!!! It's proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. Has the leak stopped yet? No??? Gee I thought if we took the blame the leak would stop? Oh my, I feel like a failure now. I guess it's still up to Obama to fix this, darn.

This is nothing more than Pelosi's latest attempt at lateral thinking.

I agree that poor over site by the Bush administration of MMS contributed to this being allowed to happen as far as the emergency response went. BP had no plan. The disaster itself however was again not caused by deregulation, as Pelosi would have us think. She also accused Bush appointees of taking kickbacks. No proof offered mind you, just an accusation.

So in the end Bush and company can take some of the blame for certain. But to accuse the former administration of bribery and direct responsibility for the disaster is irresponsible at best and a lie at worst.

I don't accuse them of bibery and direct responsibility.... this is just what we get for not doing a better job of minding the store.

I don't accuse them of bibery and direct responsibility.... this is just what we get for not doing a better job of minding the store.

I agree.

The things I have been reading about MMS doing was so irresponsible, it is actually hard to believe it was allowed to happen under anyones watch.

Samsmart: It's not so much that people blame Bush, I think. Rather, it's that liberals blame GOP deregulation for the oil spill.

And while the acoustic regulator may not have worked, there are other regulations that could have been put into place. I believe one such regulation we could have had was requiring empty tankers to siphon up the oil as it spilled out (I heard about this on the radio, and heard that it is standard operating procedure in other countries, especially Scandanavian countries, but the exact details escape me for the moment.)

So it is not only that liberals blame Bush but rather the ideology of deregulation of industries.

That's more rediculous than blaming Bush. The Dems have been ramrodding Congress since 2007. They should have done something.

As far as the response to the spill goes, that one is laid squarely at PBO's doorstep. Did he burn? No. Did he allow sand berms to be built? No. What did he do, besides create a committee?

I'm not saying that this wasn't an accident; it probably was, but only probably. However, the political timing couldn't have been more perfect.

Last edited:
If "deregulation" is really to blame for this spill, why does it not happen more? What happened on the rig is pretty common when drilling and operating these wells, and other rigs do not explode. It is not Bush's fault, nor is it Obama's fault.

People have become so hyper partisan they will just blame the other party for anything that goes wrong. It is pretty pathetic actually.

I wonder if they blame Bush when a rig doesn't explode.

This is so typical of the mouth foamers here. We spent days having the usual suspects deflecting ANY critisizm of Obama and this spill only to have them thanking posts and commenting and blaming bush....

How pathetic. :lamo

While threads blaming bush will go on for pages...

Threads like mine here, showing Obama wanted to CUT the Coast Guard personel who's job is to deal with such spills, get no participation by our usual partisan hacks.

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...st-guard-personnel-harm-readiness-crises.html

Are you claiming that there were NO standards in place for oil leases before the Bush presidency ???

Absurd.

Wonder if the Speaker will blame President Bush if she loses the majority and her job as Speaker?

Not necessarily.

Congress writes our nation's laws, so they write the regulations that businesses must adhere to. So Congress could have written tighter regulations on the oil companies to make them have better response plans for an eventually. After all, the President can only enforce the laws that Congress writes.

However, the President directs the policies of government agencies. In some cases, he can direct members of government agencies to ignore or modify the laws and regulations written by Congress. So even if Congress writes a particular law that regulates an industry, the President can use his executive authority to ignore those laws. This has been done and justified as a President's check on Congress.

So what I'd like to do is look at the laws that regulate offshore drilling and see if they are adequate enough. If they aren't, I want to hold Congress to task for not doing their job properly. If they are adequate, then there is a problem with regards to the President. Most likely, Obama did not issue any executive orders changing executive policies regarding offshore drilling, which may mean that we need a better method of transition from one administration to another with regards to outgoing Presidents who defy Congress' will.

That's what I think.

So when all is said and done, the lack of regulation that might have prevented this or might have mitigated the damage caused by this, is according to the above, the fault of the democratic Congress (in power since 2006) or the fault of the current President. (in power since January 2009)

So when all is said and done, the lack of regulation that might have prevented this or might have mitigated the damage caused by this, is according to the above, the fault of the democratic Congress (in power since 2006) or the fault of the current President. (in power since January 2009)

It could be. It could also be that the case that it's the fault of the previous Congress or the fault of the previous President. As I said in that post, if deregulation of oil was passed via executive order by the President during G.W.B.'s term, Obama could have simply not gotten to it yet, as he's also been dealing with the economic recession and four wars since he was sworn in. And, as I said in the same post, if that was the case then there could be a problem with how well we transition from one presidential administration to another.

And Congress suffers from the same thing - they've had had other immediate political concerns to attend to. It could also be that despite the Democratic Congress in power, it takes 60 votes in the Senate to overcome a filibuster by a single Republican, as we have seen with regards to Obamacare. It could be that despite a Democratic Senate attempting to pass more regulations, they could not find enough votes from the GOP to overcome such a filibuster, especially if such deregulation was passed during Republican control of Congress.

Back
Top Bottom