• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#995]Pelosi banned from receiving communion in San Francisco archdiocese over her position on abortion

So when will Archbishop Lionheart deny communion to those public figures who support the death penalty?

There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.

I know what Pope Francis said in the past, but I am wondering now if other bishops and priests will have the religious conviction to go along with Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone's decision.

Was that my uncle Jack in a Mississippi parish?

Yeah when I was younger went down there and got in bottle rocket fights with him and the local nuns it was a fun time

I am talking buying one not donating one
No where near Mississippi.
Why buy one when the parish donations foot the bill for one?

The chickens have come home to roost for Pelosi. The Archdiocese asked her to stop. She defied them. She should count her blessings - she's not being excommunicated.

Why would you reply to my comment but ignore the content? Why is it okay for the Archbishop to single out Pelosi and ignore the Pope's and the Vatican's warnings about denying communion to Catholic politicians?

The Vatican has warned conservative American bishops to hit the brakes on their push to deny communion to politicians supportive of abortion rights — including President Biden, a faithful churchgoer and the first Roman Catholic to occupy the Oval Office in 60 years.

The chickens have come home to roost for Pelosi. The Archdiocese asked her to stop. She defied them. She should count her blessings - she's not being excommunicated.

Should the follow Catholic supreme court justices renounce the death penalty and rule accordingly? Clarence Thomas, John Roberts, Samuel Alito,

Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett and Sonia Sotomayor

I simply told you why she was given a choice by the Archbishop, if she should want to receive holy communion again in the near future. Obviously, if Pope Francis did not give his blessing to the Archbishop for banning Pelosi's communion rights, we will be hearing more on this soon.
Maybe Catholics should deny communion to Catholic priests who openly defy the Pope's direct instructions not to do this exact thing.
Or maybe they can start by denying communion to Catholic priests who rape little kids. That might be a good place to start too.

That is false information you are spreading. Probably based on a video that was proven to be doctored.
Nope.

Not false information.

Should the follow Catholic supreme court justices renounce the death penalty and rule accordingly? Clarence Thomas, John Roberts, Samuel Alito,

Brett Kavanaugh, Amy Coney Barrett and Sonia Sotomayor
Kavanaugh and Thomas may expose---err disclose --- their respective positions on that at a later date.

There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.
And many that don't and get elected. Church and state should be separated -- that's what your forefathers wanted. Funny how that often gets overlooked today, eh?

Maybe Catholics should deny communion to Catholic priests who openly defy the Pope's direct instructions not to do this exact thing.
Or maybe they can start by denying communion to Catholic priests who rape little kids. That might be a good place to start too.

Or deny women who use artificial birth control, a mortal sin for Catholics. And some wonder why the Catholic Church is dwindling...

Kavanaugh and Thomas may expose---err disclose their positions on that at a later date.

I heard Kavanaugh needs a few beers before exposing anything.. Thomas is easier but watch the can top... :ROFLMAO:

Why should she be publicly singled out when other public Catholics support political positions that go against the Church's teachings?

It's political. I don't think it's a smart political move. People don't want to see the Church hierarchy bulling people simply because they are pro-choice.

You know, it's funny. We used to laugh over the idea that people worried that a Catholic president, like Kennedy, would be too beholden to the Vatican. And here we have an Archbishop demanding that she show fealty to him. And you have wonder about those right-wing justices. They act like bishops themselves!

I know what Pope Francis said in the past, but I am wondering now if other bishops and priests will have the religious conviction to go along with Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone's decision.
Good question. It's been awhile since I brushed up on the RCC, but from what I recall solidarity is not their strong suit, except on certain matters. I was once a RC, but that was decades ago. I remember how I felt about part time Christians and my early impression of members of the CC was just that. It's like casually walking through a candy store and picking out your favorite candy to eat while ignoring everything else. I guess this Archdiocese is taking a stand and saying enough is enough already. Either be a Catholic or don't be, but we won't ignore your sins anymore.

(CNN) - The conservative archbishop of San Francisco, Salvatore Cordileone, says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may no longer receive the holy sacrament of Communion in the archdiocese, because she supports abortion rights.

In a letter to Pelosi released Friday afternoon, the archbishop wrote that he had informed the California Democrat that "should you not publically repudiate your advocacy for abortion 'rights' or else refrain from referring to your Catholic faith in public and receiving Holy Communion, I would have no choice but to make a declaration, in keeping with canon 915, that you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion."

"As you have not publically repudiated your position on abortion, and continue to refer to your Catholic faith in justifying your position and to receive Holy Communion, that time has now come," he continued. "Therefore, in light of my responsibility as the Archbishop of San Francisco to be 'concerned for all the Christian faithful entrusted to [my] care' (Code of Canon Law, can. 383, §1), by means of this communication I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publically repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/poli...abortion-san-francisco-archdiocese/index.html

—————

Interesting move. I wonder if we’ll see more of this in the coming months.
lol.....

It's political. I don't think it's a smart political move. People don't want to see the Church hierarchy bulling people simply because they are pro-choice.

You know, it's funny. We used to laugh over the idea that people worried that a Catholic president, like Kennedy, would be too beholden to the Vatican. And here we have an Archbishop demanding that she show fealty to him. And you have wonder about those right-wing justices. They act like bishops themselves!

Six of the nine supreme court justices are Catholics...

And many that don't and get elected. Church and state should be separated -- that's what your forefathers wanted. Funny how that often gets overlooked today, eh?
The Church is practicing its religion. Pelosi is not forced to be a member of the CC.

Good question. It's been awhile since I brushed up on the RCC, but from what I recall solidarity is not their strong suit, except on certain matters. I was once a RC, but that was decades ago. I remember how I felt about part time Christians and my early impression of members of the CC was just that. It's like casually walking through a candy store and picking out your favorite candy to eat while ignoring everything else. I guess this Archdiocese is taking a stand and saying enough is enough already. Either be a Catholic or don't be, but we won't ignore your sins anymore.

Unless you use artificial birth control, we won't go that far because the collection plates will be empty...

Maybe this, maybe that.

Start a new thread.

This one is about Pelosi being denied holy communion because in this particular Archbishop's eyes, she defies the Church's teachings on life starting at conception.

You squandered an opportunity to admit the truth... you want office holders to betray their oaths of office when it suits you,
and burn in hell if they refuse to betray their oaths of office when you demand that they be true to their religious beliefs instead
of to their sworn oaths as federal office holders.

Here, post it, it shouldn't be that difficult,
"I am craven, incoherent."

Example :

Back
Top Bottom