• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#995]Pelosi banned from receiving communion in San Francisco archdiocese over her position on abortion

Again, I asked you a simple question have you seen any local priest own mansions and own jet airplanes, I never have but I know local evangelists in South Carolina that do

Mother Teresa used to fly around on Charles Keating's plane.

You're lying about me lying about the Pope. Do you think the AB would take a step like this without informing his superior?
As I understand it, Catholic bishops are somewhat autonomous on some issues.

Why should she be publicly singled out when other public Catholics support political positions that go against the Church's teachings?
It sets an example.

She's a tee totaler.
That's what she wants you to believe, but she has spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on booze.

Lmao you never seen a local priest own a jet airplane or live in a mansion have you?
Lol, a local parish maintained a very nice waterfront home for the monsignor. A little too nice, because the cardinal had him sent back to the rectory, and guess who moved in?

It sets an example.
Setting an example contradicts the Pope's own advice.

“What must the pastor do?” he asked. “Be a pastor, don’t go condemning. Be a pastor, because he is a pastor also for the excommunicated.”

The Vatican has warned conservative American bishops to hit the brakes on their push to deny communion to politicians supportive of abortion rights — including President Biden, a faithful churchgoer and the first Roman Catholic to occupy the Oval Office in 60 years.

"Forcing access for all women." Literally all that's required is to leave them alone. It takes force to stop them from having an abortion.
The Pope explicitly said not to deny Communion to pro-choice politicians. So you apparently believe it's OK to make a mockery of your god's earthly ambassador.

I get the impression that there are a disturbingly large number of Christians who would be happy to see most other Christians abandon their religion and burn in hell for all eternity. It's basically the right-wing equivalent of mean-spirited wokeness, and it's gross.

If you believe that you can sit in moral judgment of others, you're being prideful, which is a sin in your religion.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone tried to deflect to making the thread about me or other Christians.

If you don't like Roman Catholics or Christians, no one forces you to be one. I simply told you why she was given a choice by the Archbishop, if she should want to receive holy communion again in the near future. Obviously, if Pope Francis did not give his blessing to the Archbishop for banning Pelosi's communion rights, we will be hearing more on this soon.

Lol, a local parish maintained a very nice waterfront home for the monsignor. A little too nice, because the cardinal had him sent back to the rectory, and guess who moved in?
Was that my uncle Jack in a Mississippi parish?

Yeah when I was younger went down there and got in bottle rocket fights with him and the local nuns it was a fun time

I am talking buying one not donating one

Theological question from a non-Catholic: What is the Church's position on priests who rape children receiving communion? Is that OK?
If they confess their sins, they would be allowed to receive communion. This is an ongoing position by Pelosi. Not that I agree with the AB’s action. The death penalty analogy is not far off base. The previous AB of SF, AB Quinn spoke of church pro-life teaching as a “seamless garment,” referring to what Christ wore to Calvary and the Roman soldiers cast lots over. The church opposes abortion, the death penalty and aspects of modern warfare, such as use of nuclear weapons or other methods that target civilians.

There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.

How many women in the United States ignore the Catholic Churches position on artificial birth control yet receive communion?

Setting an example contradicts the Pope's own advice.

“What must the pastor do?” he asked. “Be a pastor, don’t go condemning. Be a pastor, because he is a pastor also for the excommunicated.”

The chickens have come home to roost for Pelosi. The Archdiocese asked her to stop. She defied them. She should count her blessings - she's not being excommunicated.

That's what she wants you to believe, but she has spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars on booze.
That is false information you are spreading. Probably based on a video that was proven to be doctored.

There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.
So, what is it you RWE authoritarians actually urge or demand these oath takers do? What would make you happy?

Transcript: JFK's Speech on His Religion​

December 5, 2007
On Sept. 12, 1960, presidential candidate John F. Kennedy gave a major speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association, a group of Protestant ministers, on the issue of his religion. At the time, many Protestants questioned whether Kennedy's Roman Catholic faith would allow him to make important national decisions as president independent of the church. Kennedy addressed those concerns before a skeptical audience of Protestant clergy. The following is a transcript of Kennedy's speech:

"While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that we have far more critical issues to face in the 1960 election: the spread of Communist influence, until it now festers 90 miles off the coast of Florida; the humiliating treatment of our president and vice president by those who no longer respect our power; the hungry children I saw in West Virginia; the old people who cannot pay their doctor bills; the families forced to give up their farms; an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space.

These are the real issues which should decide this campaign. And they are not religious issues — for war and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barriers.

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected president, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured — perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again not what kind of church I believe in — for that should be important only to me — but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him...."

Speaker Pelosi, President Biden, as did SCOTUS Justices Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett, took this oath, swore to it,

The Combined Oath

Upon occasion, appointees to the Supreme Court have taken a combined version of the two oaths, which reads:
“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States; and that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Origins-Development/Oath-of-Office/#:~:text=It reads: “I, AB,of evasion, and that I
It reads: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I .."

https://www.usa.gov/inauguration#:~:text=the U.S. Constitution:-,"I%20do%20solemnly%20swear%20(or%20affirm)%20that%20I%20will,Constitution%20of%20the%20United%20States."
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

So, what is it you RWE authoritarians actually urge or demand these oath takers do? What would make you happy?

Transcript: JFK's Speech on His Religion​

December 5, 2007
On Sept. 12, 1960, presidential candidate John F. Kennedy gave a major speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association, a group of Protestant ministers, on the issue of his religion. At the time, many Protestants questioned whether Kennedy's Roman Catholic faith would allow him to make important national decisions as president independent of the church. Kennedy addressed those concerns before a skeptical audience of Protestant clergy. The following is a transcript of Kennedy's speech:
"While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that we have far more critical issues to face in the 1960 election: the spread of Communist influence, until it now festers 90 miles off the coast of Florida; the humiliating treatment of our president and vice president by those who no longer respect our power; the hungry children I saw in West Virginia; the old people who cannot pay their doctor bills; the families forced to give up their farms; an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space.

These are the real issues which should decide this campaign. And they are not religious issues — for war and hunger and ignorance and despair know no religious barriers.

But because I am a Catholic, and no Catholic has ever been elected president, the real issues in this campaign have been obscured — perhaps deliberately, in some quarters less responsible than this. So it is apparently necessary for me to state once again not what kind of church I believe in — for that should be important only to me — but what kind of America I believe in.

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute, where no Catholic prelate would tell the president (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote; where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference; and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the president who might appoint him or the people who might elect him...."

Ms. Pelosi, President Biden, as did SCOTUS Justices Roberts, Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett, to this oath,

The Combined Oath

Upon occasion, appointees to the Supreme Court have taken a combined version of the two oaths, which reads:
“I, _________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as _________ under the Constitution and laws of the United States; and that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

https://history.house.gov/Institution/Origins-Development/Oath-of-Office/#:~:text=It%20reads%3A%20“I%2C%20AB,of%20evasion%2C%20and%20that%20I
It reads: “I, AB, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I .."

https://www.usa.gov/inauguration#:~:text=the U.S. Constitution:-,"I%20do%20solemnly%20swear%20(or%20affirm)%20that%20I%20will,Constitution%20of%20the%20United%20States."
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
TL/DR

Back
Top Bottom