• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[W:#995]Pelosi banned from receiving communion in San Francisco archdiocese over her position on abortion

How do you know that?

From the article:

Pope Francis has spoken out against the moves by some American bishops to permit individual bishops to deny Communion to politicians who support abortion rights. The Communion refusal movement is driven by a more conservative wing of the Catholic Church.

Evidently you dont know the scriptures about taking the Lords Supper in vain.

You are either a Catholic or a Protestant. It's impossible to be both... Good lord
Of course I can it's a free country, I normally go to a Lutheran, methodist, or baptist church

But only take communion from a catholic priest

(CNN) - The conservative archbishop of San Francisco, Salvatore Cordileone, says House Speaker Nancy Pelosi may no longer receive the holy sacrament of Communion in the archdiocese, because she supports abortion rights.

In a letter to Pelosi released Friday afternoon, the archbishop wrote that he had informed the California Democrat that "should you not publically repudiate your advocacy for abortion 'rights' or else refrain from referring to your Catholic faith in public and receiving Holy Communion, I would have no choice but to make a declaration, in keeping with canon 915, that you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion."

"As you have not publically repudiated your position on abortion, and continue to refer to your Catholic faith in justifying your position and to receive Holy Communion, that time has now come," he continued. "Therefore, in light of my responsibility as the Archbishop of San Francisco to be 'concerned for all the Christian faithful entrusted to [my] care' (Code of Canon Law, can. 383, §1), by means of this communication I am hereby notifying you that you are not to present yourself for Holy Communion and, should you do so, you are not to be admitted to Holy Communion, until such time as you publically repudiate your advocacy for the legitimacy of abortion and confess and receive absolution of this grave sin in the sacrament of Penance."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/poli...abortion-san-francisco-archdiocese/index.html

—————

Interesting move. I wonder if we’ll see more of this in the coming months.
I'm Catholic, and don't like this at all. It's clearly for publicity. Any decision by the church regarding someone's status like this should be made in public like this.

At the same time, he has a point in that Pelosi keeps bringing up her faith, using it in political speeches on the subject His original ask was that she stop using her faith to justify her position on abortion.

“I believe that God has given us a free will to honor our responsibilities,” Pelosi said in a press conference last September, noting that she is the mother of five children. “For us, it was a complete and total blessing, which we enjoy every day of our lives. But it’s none of our business how other people choose the size and timing of their families,” Pelosi said.

It's largely academic anyway, as Pelosi would probably burst into flames if she ever tried to enter a church.

Evidently you dont know the scriptures about taking the Lords Supper in vain.
Please explain how that is relevant to my observation that you have shown no evidence that the Archbishop or the Priest got approval to deny communion for political reasons.

And also explain how it has anything to do with the Pope's public statements discouraging denying communion for political reasons.

As I understand it, confession is where one receives forgiveness and absolution for their sins.
And if they keep sinning, are they deprived of communion?

Have you ever seen how priest and nuns live?

My uncle is a catholic priest, I have had two great aunts that were nuns .
Why would you reply to my comment and ignore the content? Have you seen the Vatican?

Not everyone leads a public life. Apparently, politicians are elected to represent "the People" so they should put aside their own personal biases and beliefs in order to do what's right for the greater good.
There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.

Why would you reply to my comment and ignore the content? Have you seen the Vatican?
Again, I asked you a simple question have you seen any local priest own mansions and own jet airplanes, I never have but I know local evangelists in South Carolina that do

I wonder if Pelosi set him up. It seems unlikely she would be unaware of his position.

There are many politicians that oppose abortion and get elected. Pelosi shouldn't expect special treatment from the CC. She can always worship at a church that shares her position on abortion.
Why should she be publicly singled out when other public Catholics support political positions that go against the Church's teachings?

According to the OP, the Catholic Church believes Pelosi is doing that. Yet another provided reference that has been failed to be interpreted.
If I start an Op that says "1+1=3," referring to the OP as some sort of evidence does not make for an intelligent argument. You get this, don't you?

Again, I asked you a simple question have you seen any local priest own mansions and own jet airplanes, I never have but I know local evangelists in South Carolina that do
Umm, you never asked me a question. You posted that comment to someone else. Have a lovely day.

Back
Top Bottom