• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pedophiles jailed for life after first offense?

Well, according to Florida law, if the girl was one year younger my friend would be in jail for life. Just something to think about :shrug: .

RecoveringPunk said:
Well, according to Florida law, if the girl was one year younger my friend would be in jail for life. Just something to think about :shrug: .

Your point?

mixedmedia said:
I know from experience that often those who have committed such crimes don't believe that they should receive such harsh sentences because, most often, their crimes were committed with the "complicity" of their victims. Conveniently denying to themselves and the world that young children are not capable of such consent. And I'm not speaking about teens here, in which both the law and myself take a different punitive perspective on. I am talking about the abuse of sexually curious pre-pubescent boys and girls by a person, who for whatever situational reason, cannot curb the urge to submit to such temptation. I am sorry if you feel your privacy has been permanently invaded, but you must understand that people have to pay a price for the mistakes they make in life. Some mistakes are more reprehensible to society than others, thus the price may be dear.
At the time i was convicted I thought my punishment was harsh but now after having matured a good bit I realize that not only was it really not all that harsh but my 8 months in treatment was really a catalyst that pushed me further into adulthood. those eight months are honestly probably one of the best things that could of happened to me. Realize that the 8 months was not an arbitrary length of time, that was how long it took for me to complete the therapy. I do believe i recieved a fair sentence considering my age and my lack of maturity at the time and considering my victim was a 9 year old neighbor. MY privacy hasn't exactly been PERMANTLY invaded, rather only
1) until my lawyer files a motion for deregistration and all of my regestration
records will be destroyed and then when I turn 23 I can have all of my
juvenile records destroyed
OR
2) I turn 28 and no longer have to register and then file for the expungement of my juvi rcords.

acm2117 said:
At the time i was convicted I thought my punishment was harsh but now after having matured a good bit I realize that not only was it really not all that harsh but my 8 months in treatment was really a catalyst that pushed me further into adulthood. those eight months are honestly probably one of the best things that could of happened to me. Realize that the 8 months was not an arbitrary length of time, that was how long it took for me to complete the therapy. I do believe i recieved a fair sentence considering my age and my lack of maturity at the time and considering my victim was a 9 year old neighbor. MY privacy hasn't exactly been PERMANTLY invaded, rather only
1) until my lawyer files a motion for deregistration and all of my regestration
records will be destroyed and then when I turn 23 I can have all of my
juvenile records destroyed
OR
2) I turn 28 and no longer have to register and then file for the expungement of my juvi rcords.

Well, I am glad that you feel incapable of making the same mistake again and that you will eventually be able to reclaim your privacy. I don't have a vengeful attitude towards people who have molested children. I just want our children to be protected. After all, they say that many people who molest children in adulthood were molested themselves as children. It would seem that a constructive way to stop that cycle would be to prevent as many children as possible from falling victim to child molesters and pedophiles.

Also, I do personally give a little slack to very young offenders. But I still think there should be heavy consequences for them & they should be monitored by law enforcement as long as necessary to protect society.

And, I do believe sex offenders in general should be administered very comprehensive programs of therapy for their weaknesses/problems/disorders. I would venture to say that in the treatment program you went through, you received much, much more therapeutic help than your average adult in prison for the same offense. In a recent case of child abduction and murder here in Florida, the offender while he was in prison, was on record asking time and again for therapy because he knew that when he got out he would abuse children again. He never received therapy and he was let out and this time he killed. If we are going to let people out, they need treatment while they are in prison.

First of all, I just noticed that I mis-spoke on my former post. The age for a minimum life in prison in Florida for a child molester is 12 not 8. Just to be accurate.

I understand what you are saying here and I will say, even though someone very, very close to me was abused, I do not believe in death or mandatory castration for pedophiles. And these folks should know that not every person who sexually abuses children are pedophiles by definition. Pedophilia is a mental disorder just as agoraphobia or ocd. A most abhorrent disorder, but a disorder nonetheless - one that most often leads to the horrific crimes against children we have seen so much of lately. Many people convicted of child molestation, or aggravated sexual battery on a minor, are just that, child molesters - they are very often those who do not obsess about sex with children but who, for whatever reason, find themselves in situations where they sexually abuse children. And, it is true, very often they do not go on to abuse again.

That said, I believe that protecting our children should be of paramount concern to the people in law enforcement and, with the recent attention paid to many cases of child abduction by former offenders, that concern has finally been grabbed. I know from experience that often those who have committed such crimes don't believe that they should receive such harsh sentences because, most often, their crimes were committed with the "complicity" of their victims. Conveniently denying to themselves and the world that young children are not capable of such consent. And I'm not speaking about teens here, in which both the law and myself take a different punitive perspective on. I am talking about the abuse of sexually curious pre-pubescent boys and girls by a person, who for whatever situational reason, cannot curb the urge to submit to such temptation. I am sorry if you feel your privacy has been permanently invaded, but you must understand that people have to pay a price for the mistakes they make in life. Some mistakes are more reprehensible to society than others, thus the price may be dear. I disagree with the use and philosophy of our justice system in many ways. Sometimes it is unfairly and unreasonably punitive. But in this respect, I am in agreement with the laws as they stand and I don't think that the sexual abuse of our children should be a bargaining point in the backrooms our courthouses. We have no way of knowing who is truly dangerous and who isn't.

DId you even read the link posted?As far as the ****s are concerned they have nothing more than a sexual preference.The only times these ****s are sorry is when they are caught and sent to prison to be Tiny's room mate and girlfriend.

jamesrage said:
DId you even read the link posted?As far as the ****s are concerned they have nothing more than a sexual preference.The only times these ****s are sorry is when they are caught and sent to prison to be Tiny's room mate and girlfriend.

I am familiar with NAMBLA, thank you very much.

I highly doubt you are qualified to be the last word on the matter. How do you know when people are sorry? Don't make such ridiculous blanket assumptions if you want to engage a person in intelligent conversation. If you want to pick a fight with someone there are plenty of other kneejerk morons around to do so with. Get lost.

Youve Got To Be Kidding! said:
What about the priests.

What about the priests? They should be held accountable just as anyone else who has committed these crimes.

I didn't read the whole thread but I think castration should definitely be an option. Therapy while in jail should also be mandatory. When the person is released he/she should be monitored for life.

scottyz said:
I didn't read the whole thread but I think castration should definitely be an option. Therapy while in jail should also be mandatory. When the person is released he/she should be monitored for life.
I know it is not the case in all of the states, but here in texas if you commit a sex offense as an adult you are required to register as such with your local law enforcement for the rest of your life. in fact here localy the county sheriff recently did a check on all of the registered so's to see if they actually lived where they were registered at. I believe in california the offenders only have to register for a certain length of time, not sure exactly how long though.

I am familiar with NAMBLA, thank you very much.

I highly doubt you are qualified to be the last word on the matter.

That looks like a group who does not see being sexually attracted to children as horrible mental desease that needs to be cured.That is just a observation I made.It does not take a head shrink to figure out that if they they are campiaining to make pedophiling legal then obviously they do not want to change and that if they were ever caught they would only be sorry because they caught.

Hell the majority of people in prison are only sorry because they were caught by the authorities,which is why many peopel in prison are repeat offenders.

How do you know when people are sorry? Don't make such ridiculous blanket assumptions if you want to engage a person in intelligent conversation.

It is not a blakent assumption,just common sense and logic.Joseph Edward Duncan,Victor Salva,John E. Couey, David Onstott and many of the other pedophiling child molesting scumbags do not appear as though they are remorseful about what they have done.

If you want to pick a fight with someone there are plenty of other kneejerk morons around to do so with. Get lost.

I see only two knee jerk morons on this thread.One of them thinks that pedophiling scum can be cured and the other is whinning about how he has to register.

jamesrage said:
I see only two knee jerk morons on this thread.One of them thinks that pedophiling scum can be cured and the other is whinning about how he has to register.

Just because NAMBLA exists does not prove any universal consensus on a group of people. And if that is not the right acronym, I apologize.

If you read any of my previous posts, including the one you quoted you would have seen that I support lifetime sentences for those who molest children. For a first offense. What is your problem with me exactly? The fact that I think if we are going to be letting these people go that it might be good to try and rehabilitate them. Yeah, how dare I, eh?

jamesrage said:
It is not a blakent assumption,just common sense and logic.Joseph Edward Duncan,Victor Salva,John E. Couey, David Onstott and many of the other pedophiling child molesting scumbags do not appear as though they are remorseful about what they have done.

...and this is not common sense and logic. It is you writing some names and making a blind assumption based on your feelings. I will be the last person to stand in support of pedophilia as a way of life. It is abhorrent to me and the fact of its prevalence in our society saddens me beyond belief. But it doesn't make me bloodthirsty. Is that what the real problem is? Not enough bloodlust for you?

Youve Got To Be Kidding! said:
Catholic Hierarchy from the Priest up to start with.

Damn, this is the second time I have agreed with you in as many posts of yours I have responded to. Something not right here.

Anyway, you're so right. The Catholic Church has taken a position of defending their priests by attempting to conceal their crimes. In cases where priests are moved to another diocese, people all but forgotten the damage done. In reality all that has been done is the transferring of a dangerous pedophile to another location, where somebody else's child is in danger. They may have changed in recent years, as more cases have come to light, but their past actions are disgusting and totally unacceptable

A sex offender just said in this very thread that such criminals have the lowest rate of recidivism, in the same post that he declared it to be an urge that not even castration would be able to stop. So which is it? Sounds like a muddled attempt at a pervert trying to justify his behaviour to me.

He and his like are about as cured as I am 7 feet tall. Sex crimes not only ruin the lives of the victims, but their families as well. Castration is too bloody good for them. They cannot be rehabilitated.

vergiss said:
A sex offender just said in this very thread that such criminals have the lowest rate of recidivism, in the same post that he declared it to be an urge that not even castration would be able to stop. So which is it? Sounds like a muddled attempt at a pervert trying to justify his behaviour to me.

He and his like are about as cured as I am 7 feet tall. Sex crimes not only ruin the lives of the victims, but their families as well. Castration is too bloody good for them. They cannot be rehabilitated.

Let me clarify to you what i said since you apparently don't understand. the recidivism rate for sex offenders is one of the lowest for all "violent" felonies, it ranges somewhere around 3% i believe. As far as the castration no it would not fix the urge for a pedophile, nothing will. you treat them similar to someone with an anger problem if you will. they have to be taught to control that urge and funnel that energy somewhere else through INTENSIVE therapy. It can be done but our justice system is not willing to do it, they believe it is better to lock them up for a few years than to deal with the root of the problem. In no way was I trying to justify my behavior if your read my posts. I alone am responsible for what I have done, I alone recieved and am still recieving my punishment.

Seeing as how you probably don't know me personally i don't see where you get off saying i am not "cured". I am not a pedophile. I have no desire to do what i did again. Again I say therapy is the answer.

acm2117 said:
Let me clarify to you what i said since you apparently don't understand. the recidivism rate for sex offenders is one of the lowest for all "violent" felonies, it ranges somewhere around 3% i believe. As far as the castration no it would not fix the urge for a pedophile, nothing will. you treat them similar to someone with an anger problem if you will. they have to be taught to control that urge and funnel that energy somewhere else through INTENSIVE therapy. It can be done but our justice system is not willing to do it, they believe it is better to lock them up for a few years than to deal with the root of the problem. In no way was I trying to justify my behavior if your read my posts. I alone am responsible for what I have done, I alone recieved and am still recieving my punishment.

Seeing as how you probably don't know me personally i don't see where you get off saying i am not "cured". I am not a pedophile. I have no desire to do what i did again. Again I say therapy is the answer.

That 3% refers to all sex offenders (and I don't know if that is an accurate number). We are talking about pedophiles, not rapists, or people who commit sexual assault against an adult. If you can present a study that shows pedophiles have as low a rate of recidivism, than go for it.

Good for you that you have kept out of a life of crime since your initial conviction. Still, if the people here, and they seem to be in the majority, had their way you would have never seen the light of day in the first place.

So enjoy it, because us non sick ****s are tired of seeing our children raped, or killed by people who should have never had the chance to do so.

http://www.childmolestationprevention.org/pages/study.pdf

Hope this link works. This is a very highly regarded study that should answer a lot of questions about child molestation, pedophilia, etc. I found it very helpful...

I don't think it helps to place so much emphasis on child rape and murder. The vast majority of the sexual abuse of children is not forced as much as we might like to deny it. Most occurences of child molestation are done with the child's child-like complicity. By saying that it does not mean I believe it is any "better" or less damaging to the children. I say it because it is just better to speak plainly and not try to stir up irrational emotions.

Personally, I believe that people who molest children under the age of 12 should be incarcerated for life after a first offense. But if states are going to make decisions to let people out, as they most often do, then the state should be responsible for administering the intensive therapy that is needed to try and prevent these people from committing their crimes again. It does no good to write them off, leave them in prison for 10-12 years where they are abused themselves and simply dump them back out into the street with no treatment. It should be so painfully obvious that this method of dealing with them only makes them more dangerous. It does a terrible dishonor to our children to suggest that we can not or should not try to treat people with these sexual disorders.

Child-like complicity is usual more like being frozen to the spot from fear and not knowing what to do. That's hardly "Oh, goody, do that again!"

vergiss said:
Child-like complicity is usual more like being frozen to the spot from fear and not knowing what to do. That's hardly "Oh, goody, do that again!"

Do you really know anything about it? This issue has impacted my life directly, very directly, and it prompted me to try and LEARN something about it, so do you have some overwhelming EVIDENCE to back up your claims?

And child-like is not really appropriate...."child's" would be better for they are children. Yet it is the truth and it's nothing unnatural or shameful for our children to be that way. It is beyond the pale for an adult to take advantage of it.

I am not saying that such scenarios as yours do not occur, just not as commonly. So it does do no justice to the many children whose experience does not include violence. It is somehow better or more their fault if there is no violence involved? Should they feel guilty if they were not forced, only manipulated?

And when the molester turns out to be someone in your family, then I want to hear your call for blood. 'Cause I know a family who have had all of their backward ideas about death and vengeance turned completely upside down. I can't deny I take a little satisfaction in that turn of events.

mixedmedia said:
I don't think it helps to place so much emphasis on child rape and murder. The vast majority of the sexual abuse of children is not forced as much as we might like to deny it. Most occurences of child molestation are done with the child's child-like complicity.
There was a judge in Wisconsin some fifteen or so years ago who felt the same way. He dismissed charges against a child molester on the grounds that the five year old victim behaved "provocatively" - and he is no longer a judge.

Wisconsin is a wierd state. A professor at the university in Madison was convicted of child molestation (three little girls aged five to nine) and sentenced to prison -- but the wierdos at the university continued to pay his salary of $138,000 per year until today, when they finally cut him off in response to public pressure. Your tax dollars at work... :roll:

In any exchange between adult and child, the adult sets the standards and has full responsibility for what happens. A single bullet would be so-o-o much more cost-effective than life imprisonment.

Said it before on this site but it bears saying again. I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

I'd do this.

If I knew for sure someone molested one of my daughters, I'd kill them. Destroy the body and keep my silence to the grave.

Child molesters don't just do it once.

Think of all the children and their families that wont be affected by the animal you offed.

I would consider it an honor and my duty.

But that just me.

mixedmedia said:
Do you really know anything about it? This issue has impacted my life directly, very directly, and it prompted me to try and LEARN something about it, so do you have some overwhelming EVIDENCE to back up your claims?

And child-like is not really appropriate...."child's" would be better for they are children. Yet it is the truth and it's nothing unnatural or shameful for our children to be that way. It is beyond the pale for an adult to take advantage of it.

I am not saying that such scenarios as yours do not occur, just not as commonly. So it does do no justice to the many children whose experience does not include violence. It is somehow better or more their fault if there is no violence involved? Should they feel guilty if they were not forced, only manipulated?

And when the molester turns out to be someone in your family, then I want to hear your call for blood. 'Cause I know a family who have had all of their backward ideas about death and vengeance turned completely upside down. I can't deny I take a little satisfaction in that turn of events.

:lol: That'd almost be funny, if it weren't so painful.

I think I learnt something about the issue on the night an adult man molested me at age 11. My "child-like complicity" was utter terror and shock. The pervert who did it was my own father. If it weren't illegal, I would have taken pleasure in putting a blunt object through his brain. I never told anyone it was him... I just told my shrink it was a random paedophile. I couldn't bare to think about it. Indeed, I almost forgot about it for years, as bizarre as it sounds. It was just a vague, unsettling memory that I'd push out of my mind whenever it popped into my head. I felt so dirty. That was, until I had a sudden nasty epiphany a couple of years ago. How on earth can someone forget something like that?

There are times I still hope my mind's just screwing with itself. Maybe I mixed the culprit up, and it was just some random guy.

vergiss said:
:lol: That'd almost be funny, if it weren't so painful.

I think I learnt something about the issue on the night an adult man molested me at age 11. My "child-like complicity" was utter terror and shock. The pervert who did it was my own father. If it weren't illegal, I would have taken pleasure in putting a blunt object through his brain. I never told anyone it was him... I just told my shrink it was a random paedophile. I couldn't bare to think about it. Indeed, I almost forgot about it for years, as bizarre as it sounds. It was just a vague, unsettling memory that I'd push out of my mind whenever it popped into my head. I felt so dirty. That was, until I had a sudden nasty epiphany a couple of years ago. How on earth can someone forget something like that?

There are times I still hope my mind's just screwing with itself. Maybe I mixed the culprit up, and it was just some random guy.

I will be the last person to deny your personal pain. Two of my daughters were molested and by their stepfather, my husband of 12 years. Very recently this all came to light. I feel weird talking so bluntly about it here, but I guess your candor gives me a little blast of recklessness.

I don't know how much your experience impelled you to find out why and how this happens, but I chose to educate myself. I am not trying to sound righteous, just telling you. Most often in these situations our children are seduced. It is a fact and that is all I have been saying. I do not doubt your personal claim, but what's wrong with sharing facts? We should empathize with all of our abused children. The prevalence of this in our society is mind-numbing and if children get the idea that somehow their abuse is not really abuse because they were not forced or blatantly threatened then we will have a lot of kids not coming forward because of guilt and shame.

I understand your feelings about your father, but for some it is not so easy to wish death upon a child molester when it is suddenly their own family member. Sometimes they get angry with the accusers even though the son of a bitch admits it. Sometimes they mourn the fact that their loved one is likely to spend the remaining 40-50 years of their life in prison. Sometimes the whole world changes overnight. Feel as you must, but it doesn't hurt to realize that not everyone reacts as you do.

Diogenes said:
There was a judge in Wisconsin some fifteen or so years ago who felt the same way. He dismissed charges against a child molester on the grounds that the five year old victim behaved "provocatively" - and he is no longer a judge.

That is very sad. People can be so ignorant sometimes. How exactly does a five year old act provocative? Unless perhaps he/she has already been abused? Unbelievable. I'm glad they took care of that guy. It always shocks me when it becomes evident that some psycho has made his or her way to one of our judicial benches.

Back
Top Bottom