• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

peas_and_corn says hi!

peas_and_corn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Hey all, my handle is peas_and_corn (though in other forums it's frequently shortened to P&C... perhaps I should have considered that abbreviation a little better :p ), however my human name is Dave. I live in the monstrous metropolis that calls itself Adelaide- the city is a whole mile square. Take that, New York City!

Being a little more serious, politics-wise I'm somewhat left leaning, so I have some sympathies with the Australian Labor Party- though I am hardly a 'rusted on' voter and frequently vote for other parties, and at times have backed the Liberals. So hey, I guess I'm a swinging voter.

International Relations-wise, I describe myself as a 'Wendtian-influenced structuralist'; I was for a while a liberal internationalist but my standing has somewhat shifted towards the structuralist side, influenced a lot by the work of Wendt, especially his seminal work Anarchy is What States Make of It. His book I have some reservations about though.

On more personal things, my main hobby is brewing. I have a standard 3 tier brewing system, and a five tap draught system in my house :drink and that makes me quite happy. Ultimate dream I'd love to own my own brewpub but I doubt that will ever happen!

Ah, another Aussie, though you're from Adelaide, I'll try not to hold it against you. :mrgreen:

And in my official capacity:

67112126-hullo-everyone-dpsockpuppet.jpg

:shock: NO!!!! :2razz: Though, could be worse, at least you don't go for Collingwood. I'm an Essendon supporter myself.

Ahh, Essendon. I have a lot of respect for that club, the Sheedy era was one that was great to watch. Maybe Hird will help the team pick up in 2011 and get back that toughness that was so fantastic :)

That's what I'm hoping too, Hird was Sheedy's protégé, so even if he's only half as good, it'll be an improvement, and with Thompson coming on as assistant coach, we should get another flag next year.

welcbnr.gif

:tink: ~Tashah~

Is your close friend Peas_and_carrots joining you here? :mrgreen:

Welcome to Debate Politics. :)

welcome.jpg

Welcome to DP! :2wave:

International Relations-wise, I describe myself as a 'Wendtian-influenced structuralist'; I was for a while a liberal internationalist but my standing has somewhat shifted towards the structuralist side, influenced a lot by the work of Wendt, especially his seminal work Anarchy is What States Make of It. His book I have some reservations about though.

Very nice I believe I have read that one, unfortunately I'm not exactly sure where I stand and though I do enjoy realism and believe that constructivism definitely has its place. It's hard to say where I stand.

Welcome!

Last edited:
Welcome! :peace

:2wave::peaceWelcome, peas & corn!

Welcome. Now I want me some black eye peas and cornbread:)

Very nice I believe I have read that one, unfortunately I'm not exactly sure where I stand and though I do enjoy realism and believe that constructivism definitely has its place. It's hard to say where I stand.

Welcome!

My biggest issue with realism is that it's far too reductionist. Classical realism says war is due to human nature, neorealism says it's due to struggle for resources... and I go on. War is far too complex to pin it down this much. Realism does prevent itself from being too much of a 'jelly', as one of the lecturers described Liberal Internationalism. Also, it doesn't focus at all on 'low' politics, which is frustrating.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone.

Back
Top Bottom