• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Peaceful Demonstrators tear-gased in our Capital

dcaraz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
When American citizens in our capital peacefully demonstrated June 1st, their efforts to show solidarity against the police-inflicted death of George Floyd
were met with rubber bullets, tear gas and police mounted on horseback. When I watch the video of the police push to clear the Washington, DC park of demonstrators
I have to wonder if we will soon see a reenactment of the 1970 Kent State University shootings when several students were killed by Ohio National Guardsmen.

Why were the peaceful demonstrators in DC attacked by police while exercising their constitutional right to gather and protest?
The area had to be cleared so President Trump along with several other administration officials could walk from the White House to St. John's Church for a photo opportunity.
I found the president's actions appalling and disgusting. To allow US citizens to be treated as if our capital is a city in China illustrates Trump's inability to appreciate
our democratic values.

Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets Used On Washington, DC Demonstrators As Trump Threatens To Deploy Military To Quell Protests – CBS San Francisco

Bishop Budde calls Trump photo at St. John’s Church ‘antithetical to the teachings of Jesus’ | WTOP

When American citizens in our capital peacefully demonstrated June 1st, their efforts to show solidarity against the police-inflicted death of George Floyd
were met with rubber bullets, tear gas and police mounted on horseback. When I watch the video of the police push to clear the Washington, DC park of demonstrators
I have to wonder if we will soon see a reenactment of the 1970 Kent State University shootings when several students were killed by Ohio National Guardsmen.

Why were the peaceful demonstrators in DC attacked by police while exercising their constitutional right to gather and protest?
The area had to be cleared so President Trump along with several other administration officials could walk from the White House to St. John's Church for a photo opportunity.
I found the president's actions appalling and disgusting. To allow US citizens to be treated as if our capital is a city in China illustrates Trump's inability to appreciate
our democratic values.

Tear Gas, Rubber Bullets Used On Washington, DC Demonstrators As Trump Threatens To Deploy Military To Quell Protests – CBS San Francisco

Bishop Budde calls Trump photo at St. John’s Church ‘antithetical to the teachings of Jesus’ | WTOP

You are about a day late and a dollar short.

Protesters weren't being peaceful and they didn't get gassed.

Video evidence suggests otherwise. And yes, they were gassed.

Tear gas: Washington DC protests St. Johns Church | wusa9.com

SDS for the product: http://sds.chemtel.net/webclients/s...hnology 6170 - 40mm Skat-Shell Round - OC.pdf

· 4.2 Most important symptoms and effects, both acute and delayed
Blast injury if mishandled.
May cause respiratory irritation.
Coughing
Nausea
Dizziness
Cramp
Breathing difficulty
Irritant to skin and mucous membranes.
Irritant to eyes.

our democratic values.

How, exactly, did this differ from those imposing "curfews" other than the shorter notice given to clear the (small) area? I agree that it was a drastic action and punished many for the potential actions of an unruly few, but it was not greatly different from the imposition of dusk to dawn "curfews" which make simply being out in public 'too late' become a "crime".

Trump's "handlers" should have seen the idea of temporarily clearing a public park to generate a "photo op" as being a bad idea, but it was no worse of an idea than clearing an entire city's streets to try to help prevent rioting, looting and burning.

Quibbling over the generic use of "tear gas" being applied to the use of chemical irritants like smoke bombs and pepper balls is splitting hairs.

How, exactly, did this differ from those imposing "curfews" other than the shorter notice given to clear the (small) area? I agree that it was a drastic action and punished many for the potential actions of an unruly few, but it was not greatly different from the imposition of dusk to dawn "curfews" which make simply being out in public 'too late' become a "crime".

Trump's "handlers" should have seen the idea of temporarily clearing a public park to generate a "photo op" as being a bad idea, but it was no worse of an idea than clearing an entire city's streets to try to help prevent rioting, looting and burning.

Perhaps we should get rid of the First Amendment altogether. But leave the Second alone, as there are no unfortunate consequences from that one. Nosiree.

Perhaps we should get rid of the First Amendment altogether. But leave the Second alone, as there are no unfortunate consequences from that one. Nosiree.

Nope, but we should ditch the idea that freedom to be in public places is the "root cause" of crime.

Quibbling over the generic use of "tear gas" being applied to the use of chemical irritants like smoke bombs and pepper balls is splitting hairs.

Is pepper spray tear gas?

More importantly, is throwing rocks at police peaceful?

The first amendment doesn't protect violence.

1) Is pepper spray tear gas?

2) More importantly, is throwing rocks at police peaceful?

1) Yes, since both are chemical agents which cause eye/nose irritation. It's much like asking if an AR-15 is an "assault weapon" - many use one term to include many other closely related (but not technically identical) items.

2) Nope, but obviously not everyone forced to leave was doing that.

our democratic values.

Were members of the "protester" group throwing things at the police or not?? If they were (and it doesn't have to a majority of the protesters) then the protest was not "peaceful"

1) Yes, since both are chemical agents which cause eye/nose irritation. It's much like asking if an AR-15 is an "assault weapon" - many use one term to include many other closely related (but not technically identical) items.

2) Nope, but obviously not everyone forced to leave was doing that.

2) Didn't have to be everyone. Just a number is sufficient to warrant being forcibly removed.

1) Tear gas and pepper are NOT the same. I had first hand experience with this when I worked in a county jail. Because there is the possibility we might have to use tear gas or pepper spray against inmates we had to be exposed to them ourselves before being authorized to use them.

Pepper is a world much milder than tear gas.

2) Didn't have to be everyone. Just a number is sufficient to warrant being forcibly removed.

1) Tear gas and pepper are NOT the same. I had first hand experience with this when I worked in a county jail. Because there is the possibility we might have to use tear gas or pepper spray against inmates we had to be exposed to them ourselves before being authorized to use them.

1) I never claimed that they were identical - only that they are similar enough. Much like all photocopies are not Xerox copies, yet it is largely seen as a distinction without any significant difference.

2) Treating the general public as if they were unruly inmates is moronic.

You made up your own version of the facts as viewed on video. Evidently you don't get upset when riot police act like storm troopers in our capital.
I did hear after my post that the police may have fired pepper spray canisters at the PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATORS rather than tear gas.
However, for others in our forum who are interested in the truth, demonstrators who have the right to be there were blinded and incapacitated temporarily
as well as roughed up cops armed with batons and shields -- just like in countries run by the generals or dictators.

You can keep trying to peddle that bull**** but millions saw it happening live...

Those demonstrators in DC were lawfully marching in a peaceful and orderly manner. Then with zero warning, they were fired upon with a substance
(they have not identified it) that immobilized folks, blinded some temporarily. These were not the criminals who have destroyed or stolen property.
I don't like strong-armed military tactics used on our citizens by our "peace keepers". Those cops also attacked some media reporter teams covering the march.
What's next? Live ammo to match Trump's tough talk?

I got a BS detector that says you are FULL OF IT!
And I got a constitution that says those American citizens had every right to demonstrate peacefully as they had assembled.

You made up your own version of the facts as viewed on video. Evidently you don't get upset when riot police act like storm troopers in our capital.
I did hear after my post that the police may have fired pepper spray canisters at the PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATORS rather than tear gas.
However, for others in our forum who are interested in the truth, demonstrators who have the right to be there were blinded and incapacitated temporarily
as well as roughed up cops armed with batons and shields -- just like in countries run by the generals or dictators.

This all comes after a couple of nights of violent riots and destruction and defacement of national memorials.

But no reason to be careful with the wellbeing of the POTUS or anything.

our democratic values.

I see the left wing media making claims that peaceful protesters were gassed. What I haven't seen is the mainstream media say that rioters who destroy, burn, loot, assault, throw bricks and shoot people trying to protect their property, that those rioters are in the wrong and need to be stopped. Why is that? Liberals need to see the problems, all the problems.

...demonstrators who have the right to be there were blinded and incapacitated temporarily

Actually, they don't. DC requires a permit to assemble and protest. Even with a permit, protesters are required to follow all local, District, and federal laws as well as commands and instructions from law officers.

Washington Peace Center

You can keep trying to peddle that bull**** but millions saw it happening live...

Did they sign the damage/liability waiver?

Have we had any major incidences since in DC?

I'd say the strategy worked.

You people are only bitchin now because Trump is still POTUS.

Those demonstrators in DC were lawfully marching in a peaceful and orderly manner.

lawful or not you still disperse if the police or other law enforcement authorities tell you to do so.

I see the left wing media making claims that peaceful protesters were gassed. What I haven't seen is the mainstream media say that rioters who destroy, burn, loot, assault, throw bricks and shoot people trying to protect their property, that those rioters are in the wrong and need to be stopped. Why is that? Liberals need to see the problems, all the problems.

Well if you don't see that then you are not watching, and I stead are listening to someone feeding full of ****...

This all comes after a couple of nights of violent riots and destruction and defacement of national memorials.

But no reason to be careful with the wellbeing of the POTUS or anything.

Maybe he should have stayed hidden, peeing his depends rather than having innocent people attacked for a photo op...

Back
Top Bottom