• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Peace to all

hiker

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Hi. I'm a 35 year old white guy from SC who loves to hike and I have a dog and a fiance. There, that should about cover the intros.

Politically, I am a conservative. I am also an atheist, which is not incompatible. I respect people and their beliefs, I too am a spiritual person in terms of finding joy and freedom with nature and beautiful things I see along the way of life. I don't do drugs, but I love the neo-deadhead culture. Just not the politics. So I am a complex and evolving person whose main goal in life is to see everybody happy and getting along with one another.

Oh, and McCain in '08:smile:

Hello hiker!:2wave:

welcomecolors.gif

Simple intro, yet to the point. :)

Welcome to Debate Politics!

Thanks everybody. I hope we can all agree or agree to disagree and be understanding of each other. :2wave:

Understanding of each other? Here?! HA! cnredd, break out the licorice whips and dancing midgets. This man is in need of a reality check. :lol:

Welcome to DP!

Quid Pro Quo said:
Understanding of each other? Here?! HA! cnredd, break out the licorice whips and dancing midgets. This man is in need of a reality check. :lol:

Welcome to DP!
Licorice midgets?!?!...Dancing whips?!?!...

Wait...read that wrong...As Willy Wonka would say...

"Strike that...reverse it."...:doh

I have talked to this guy before and this guy is a fellow genius. He has his head on straight and can have a mature debate. Welcome again to the forum. I know your stay here will be quite gratifying.

SKILMATIC said:
I have talked to this guy before and this guy is a fellow genius. He has his head on straight and can have a mature debate. Welcome again to the forum. I know your stay here will be quite gratifying.

well from his first post, it seams that way! :D Welcome to the team!

well from his first post, it seams that way! Welcome to the team!

I will say though that he does have different views on some things but his debates are very intellectually sound and very mature. Its not the same liberal rhetoric crap that you hear day in and day out like they were programmed robots. But he brings harmony to a real debate. I love this guy even in our disagreements.

hiker said:
Hi. I'm a 35 year old white guy from SC who loves to hike and I have a dog and a fiance. There, that should about cover the intros.

Politically, I am a conservative. I am also an atheist, which is not incompatible. I respect people and their beliefs, I too am a spiritual person in terms of finding joy and freedom with nature and beautiful things I see along the way of life. I don't do drugs, but I love the neo-deadhead culture. Just not the politics. So I am a complex and evolving person whose main goal in life is to see everybody happy and getting along with one another.

That is fascinating about your being a con and an atheist. Were you religious earlier in your life?

I am a hiker too. I have been to Banff, Canada, Yosemite, Hawaii (Kauai has gorgeous hiking), North Carolina, and just came back from Oregon, which has great hiking as well. I live in Virginia, so I have hiked there too. Where have you been that you would recommend? Montana? Colorado?

Since you are an outdoorsy person, what do you think about the Bush Adminitration's policies towards the environment and the Clean Air Act?

aps said:
That is fascinating about your being a con and an atheist. Were you religious earlier in your life?
No, I've never been a believer. I chalk that up to being a very early reader of science fiction. I lean conservative because I believe in smaller federal government and civic responsibility/morals. Being conservative doesn't mean being a Christian. It doesn't always mean being a Republican either;)

aps said:
I am a hiker too. I have been to Banff, Canada, Yosemite, Hawaii (Kauai has gorgeous hiking), North Carolina, and just came back from Oregon, which has great hiking as well. I live in Virginia, so I have hiked there too. Where have you been that you would recommend? Montana? Colorado?
Not quite so far as yourself, just NC and VA. NC has the tallest ,most beautiful peaks in the Appalachians; I have never run out of places to see that I have never been. If you are in NC, and you have a couple days to test yourself, try the black mountain trail. The 6 tallest peaks in the Apps all on one trail. Here's a look at Mount Mitchell, the tallest point, done in an afternoon (Not much of a hike, but I had time constraints:( )

http://photobucket.com/albums/a263/gghiker/Mitchell05/?sc=6

aps said:
Since you are an outdoorsy person, what do you think about the Bush Adminitration's policies towards the environment and the Clean Air Act?
I am not very familiar with the details, I must admit. But I am for clean air. Us hikers are able to see the effect of bad air better than anyone else, check out the picture of Charlotte at the bottom of the page in the link. See the brown haze over the city that you don't see in the other photos? Disgusting, isn't it?:(

http://photobucket.com/albums/a263/gghiker/Mitchell05/crowders05/?sc=1

hiker said:
No, I've never been a believer. I chalk that up to being a very early reader of science fiction. I lean conservative because I believe in smaller federal government and civic responsibility/morals. Being conservative doesn't mean being a Christian. It doesn't always mean being a Republican either;)

Interesting. I do not know anyone who is a republican who is an atheist. Do you (of course, besides yourself)?

Not quite so far as yourself, just NC and VA. NC has the tallest ,most beautiful peaks in the Appalachians; I have never run out of places to see that I have never been. If you are in NC, and you have a couple days to test yourself, try the black mountain trail. The 6 tallest peaks in the Apps all on one trail. Here's a look at Mount Mitchell, the tallest point, done in an afternoon (Not much of a hike, but I had time constraints:( )

http://photobucket.com/albums/a263/gghiker/Mitchell05/?sc=6

Those pictures are stunning, particularly the ones with the fall foliage. Wow. Is that you in the blue fleece? If it's affordable for you, I would recommend you going to Canada sometime. It is absolutely stunning there. To me, the air is better there than it is here. When we were there (my husband and me), the exchange rate was excellent for the American dollar. Just something to think about.

I am not very familiar with the details, I must admit. But I am for clean air. Us hikers are able to see the effect of bad air better than anyone else, check out the picture of Charlotte at the bottom of the page in the link. See the brown haze over the city that you don't see in the other photos? Disgusting, isn't it?:(

http://photobucket.com/albums/a263/gghiker/Mitchell05/crowders05/?sc=1

It's funny, hiker, but the majority of Americans are usually unaware of environmental issues. This administration is particuarly bad in this area--it favors industry, so it would rather have poorer air quality so that it saves the industry from having to pay too much to be in compliance with the Clean Air Act. My husband does environmental enforcement for the government. He said that Bush's father was more environmentally friendly than this one is. The current Bush is trying to roll back the provisions of the Clean Air Act, which only hurts the air quality, but helps industry. It's despicable. That whole Clear Skies initiative--don't believe that it helps the air quality--it hurts it tremendously.

My husband worked on a case where we (the gov't) sued a coal-fired power plant in Ohio. We won that case, which will prevent about 1 BILLION tons of air pollution. They just tried another case against a coal-fired power plant. These cases were started during Clinton, and Bush is now attempting to dismantle these cases. *sigh* :(

welcbnr.gif

Hope to see ya on the threads :2wave:

~Tashah~

aps said:
Interesting. I do not know anyone who is a republican who is an atheist. Do you (of course, besides yourself)?

It may be a condition unique to the South. Where I live, the close minded bigots are the Democrats, in the Byrd/Wallace mold. Yellow dog democrats, as I believe they are known. If you grew up around such people, the last thing you want is to be anything like that. A Republican in South Carolina used to stand out like a whore in church. It's amazing how things have flip-flopped in the past 20 years. Now, as to athiest Republicans, I don't personally know anyone that would even admit to being an athiest. In the bible belt, it would almost be preferable to admit to anything but that. Nobody I know knows about my nonbelief, other than the friends I have on message boards.

aps said:
Those pictures are stunning, particularly the ones with the fall foliage. Wow. Is that you in the blue fleece? If it's affordable for you, I would recommend you going to Canada sometime. It is absolutely stunning there. To me, the air is better there than it is here. When we were there (my husband and me), the exchange rate was excellent for the American dollar. Just something to think about.

Canada hasn't been on the itinerary. The Dakota badlands and Yellowstone is my big ambition, I have been debating splurging for airline tickets for a week out there. I am getting married in Sep '07, so I see time as maybe running out on that dream. I guess that is a terrible way of looking at marriage, isn't it? This is the first time it has even occurred to me that I can do things after we get married. Wow. I'm still not used to all this.

aps said:
It's funny, hiker, but the majority of Americans are usually unaware of environmental issues. This administration is particuarly bad in this area--it favors industry, so it would rather have poorer air quality so that it saves the industry from having to pay too much to be in compliance with the Clean Air Act. My husband does environmental enforcement for the government. He said that Bush's father was more environmentally friendly than this one is. The current Bush is trying to roll back the provisions of the Clean Air Act, which only hurts the air quality, but helps industry. It's despicable. That whole Clear Skies initiative--don't believe that it helps the air quality--it hurts it tremendously.

My husband worked on a case where we (the gov't) sued a coal-fired power plant in Ohio. We won that case, which will prevent about 1 BILLION tons of air pollution. They just tried another case against a coal-fired power plant. These cases were started during Clinton, and Bush is now attempting to dismantle these cases. *sigh* :(

Keep up the good fight. I have a geologist friend on a message board, he tells me one day clean water will be more expensive and rare than gasoline. He is in the business of finding and dealing with polluted groundwater. To hear him put it, it seems very bleak.

hiker said:

Hey there, o,and welcome? by the way, what kind of dog to you have?

kal-el said:
Hey there, o,and welcome? by the way, what kind of dog to you have?
A golden retriever, an extremely well-mannered breed that would be an asset to anyone. Her name is Cotton.

hiker said:
A golden retriever, an extremely well-mannered breed that would be an asset to anyone. Her name is Cotton.

Cool. My favorite breed has to be the German Shepherd. I used to have one growing up.

I thought I would take the opportunity of my 100th post to let everyone reading this know how much I have enjoyed getting to know you better and I hope for much more good debate and civility well into the future. Thanks :2wave:

hiker said:
I thought I would take the opportunity of my 100th post to let everyone reading this know how much I have enjoyed getting to know you better and I hope for much more good debate and civility well into the future. Thanks :2wave:

You're very welcome, dude. Yea, it's been a blast debating with you too.:2razz:

kal-el said:
You're very welcome, dude. Yea, it's been a blast debating with you too.:2razz:

See, what did I tell ya. Isnt this guy great?

SKILMATIC said:
See, what did I tell ya. Isnt this guy great?

Yes he is, now only if he would change his political affliation.:2razz:

Back
Top Bottom