• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Peace talks

Craig234

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
We can discuss the peace talks scheduled to begin in a few hours.

So far, Russia's approach to talks has been nothing but to lie, and to make extreme demands - i.e., de-militarize, commit to never join NATO, etc. No concessions or practical discussion of ending their war.

Zelensky has indicated his willingness to give a big concession: to agree Ukraine will not join NATO, something Putin has demanded.

So, what is likely from these talks?

It seems to me:

- One option is that Russia simply doing more of the same. If it helps them a little politically to look like they're willing to talk, fine. If Ukraine will surrender and save them the trouble of war, fine. In other words, a waste of time.

- The main alternative to that I see, is if Putin privately has decided this is going badly enough that he wants to end it - in which case the talks would be about giving him whatever bits are needed for him to feel he can declare victory. Is the no-NATO agreement enough? No one knows.

We'll have to see what comes from the talks - Russian obstinance and proclaiming their propaganda, compromises leading to possible peace, or what.

So far, Russia's approach to talks has been nothing but to lie, and to make extreme demands - i.e., de-militarize, commit to never join NATO, etc. No concessions or practical discussion of ending their war.

Zelensky has indicated his willingness to give a big concession: to agree Ukraine will not join NATO, something Putin has demanded.

It seems to me:

- One option is that Russia simply doing more of the same. If it helps them a little politically to look like they're willing to talk, fine. If Ukraine will surrender and save them the trouble of war, fine. In other words, a waste of time.

- The main alternative to that I see, is if Putin privately has decided this is going badly enough that he wants to end it - in which case the talks would be about giving him whatever bits are needed for him to feel he can declare victory. Is the no-NATO agreement enough? No one knows.

We'll have to see what comes from the talks - Russian obstinance and proclaiming their propaganda, compromises leading to possible peace, or what.

I agree that if no NATO is on the table Putin would be wise to take the deal.

Glad that Ukraine is doing well so far, and has not folded. That being said wars are not usually won or lost in a few days. Hope this ends before many more civilians are killed.

**** peace. declare war on russia. Make them go nuclear!

I think Russia will move up lots of artillery and rocketry to start destroying Kyiv and Kharkiv block by block, while the negotiations unfold. The Russians hold their positions outside the cities and stick to their demands while Ukraine's two largest cities are systematically turned to rubble, each day the rate of the destruction is accelerated. Meanwhile in the south of Ukraine the Russians will try to grab more land and more towns/cities where they can, if the rasputitsa (muddy season) lets them manoeuvre and strike at key targets in Ukrainian territory. Once seized these territories and urban centres will be very hard to get back from the Russians at the negotiating table, and will likely have to be slowly retaken by force, as the levelling of Kyiv and Kharkiv proceeds at pace.. If NATO interferes actively Putin will use thermobaric missiles and bombs on these cities and use both chemical and nuclear weapons to hold off NATO.

Cheers and be well(?)
Evilroddy.

Putin cannot be trusted ....... Zelensky should be apprehensive ....... any face to face would be risky business
for Ukraine......... = murders or become hostages

Navy seals would be advisable

Putin cannot be trusted ....... Zelensky should be apprehensive ....... any face to face would be risky business
for Ukraine......... = murders or become hostages

Navy seals would be advisable
I thought they ought to use Zoom--well, the high security military version.

It seems to me:

But Zelensky will not demilitarize which is the other big demand from monster Putin. I am very worried about the safety of those negotiating for Ukraine. Putin is sending a nobody to these "negotiations". At least none of the Ukraine negotiators have to cross into Belarus.

I thought they ought to use Zoom--well, the high security military version.
smart thinking ........ otherwise I can see assassinations or hostage taking.

I almost created a poll with the question, "Should Ukraine join NATO?" The agreement to not do so is very disappointing.

I almost created a poll with the question, "Should Ukraine join NATO?" The agreement to not do so is very disappointing.
I don't think Monster Putin would stop his invasion just based on Ukraine not joining NATO. He will insist on both, not joining and demilitarizing and Zelensky would be mad to demilitarize.

Zelensky should not give in to a raw deal for Ukraine. If Ukraine can substantially attrit that Russian resupply column headed for Kyiv, Monster Putin is effectively done without even having accomplished the first step of his planed takeover.

Ukraine is not in NATO yet alot of NATO counties are assisting them regardless. It seems that could be one condition that they could give up on.

Ukraine agrees to not join NATO as long as Russia agrees to depose Putin. That would be my terms.

I don't think Monster Putin would stop his invasion just based on Ukraine not joining NATO. He will insist on both, not joining and demilitarizing and Zelensky would be mad to demilitarize.

Now it is even worse. Belarus is reportedly going to join the Russian troops.

Everyone directly involved a s low expectations.

Now it is even worse. Belarus is reportedly going to join the Russian troops.

Everyone directly involved a s low expectations.
Boot licking puppets gonna' bootlicking puppet

It should be clear by now that the fighting spirit of the Russian soldier has been called into question. Don't think Belarus soldiers will fair any better.

I do wish CNN would stop running the same crap every 5 minutes. They are better off having the cameras focus on reporters in the field even if there is nothing going on in front of them than having anchor desk goons yammering on about the same shit and constantly whining about Putin's nuke alert horse carp. That is just media histrionics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom